Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Sandisk SD 512GB Memory card announced

Hi,

From the BBC;

Sandisk have just announced a 512GB SD memory card for $800 (£490).

Don't lose it!

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Announced in the US on 9/11 as well. US price $729.00

Not on my shopping list any time soon.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: most of them
I guess if you're shooting a lot of 4K video you might want something like that.

I prefer not to put so many eggs in one basket. Had an SD card fail several years ago. All the photos lost. Wouldn't want to risk that. 32GB cards are cheap these days. Even that is probably too big for most people.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by glennaa11
I guess if you're shooting a lot of 4K video you might want something like that.

I prefer not to put so many eggs in one basket. Had an SD card fail several years ago. All the photos lost. Wouldn't want to risk that. 32GB cards are cheap these days. Even that is probably too big for most people.
I agree. 4K video is just about the only reasonable use case for this kind of card. The price is ridiculous and putting 512 GB of images on a single card is a stupid risk.

Cheers,
T.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:34 am
Suspended

Yes, If I were a professional videographer, I am sure I would want one of these.

As for me, my 16 GB and 32 GB UHS 1 cards work fine, and they can be bought for around $12 and $20 respectively nowadays.

It's fitting that this card was announced on 9/11, because having it get corrupted would certainly be catastrophic.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by glennaa11

I totally agree.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Photokina is next week (16-21st) in Germany. There have been a lot of announcements and rumors lately.

If you want the 512GB SD card for 4K, Dell announced a 27" 5K monitor. Resolution: 5120 x 2880, 218ppi. Spec's seem to indicate it's 10 bit (per channel) $2500 (US). Gotta edit on something....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.