Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Renting camera equipment -- best way

Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

I'm headed to Antarctica in the new year.
To make sure my trip photography goes without a hitch I'm renting a second camera body.
I plan on renting it from BorrowLenses -- their price seems the best, and they have what I need.

My question is:
* of all the Credit Cards out there - is there any CC that has the most benefits for this: like insurance
* Any other suggestions on where I might rent camera equipment at good prices
* Is there a way I can maximize my points with this rental

Thanks
Jam
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've used borrow lenses several times. I haven't found the need to look elsewhere
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by jamboree
* Any other suggestions on where I might rent camera equipment at good prices
Two companies I looked into, but haven't rented from yet:

www.lensprotogo.com (Located in the Boston Area)
LensRentals.com (Tennessee)

Both ship. Both also sell off used gear from time to time. Both offer in-store pickup at their locations. LensProtoGo has some affiliates for this as well. (BorrowLens has more affiliate locations for pickup, and 2 main offices SFO/near BOS)

If I recall correctly, both offer optional insurance with a deductible capped at 10% of the lens (but read the print) for some damage, but no loss. Water and sand are excluded, as is theft or loss.

AMEX is usually the top on additional cardholder protection, but have exclusions for purchase of used items -- given that, rental has the slimmest change of CC protections. You may need to call your insurance agent.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by jamboree
My question is:
* of all the Credit Cards out there - is there any CC that has the most benefits for this: like insurance
I doubt CC insurance would cover rented goods?

Do lens rental companies not usually integrate their own insurance into the price?

To maximise CC points, have you consider simply purchasing the lens from elsewhere (be it new or used) then selling in on afterwards for a small loss (that is probably smaller than the cost of renting the lens)?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've used lensrentals.com. They had the best price for me, and the best insurance coverage, covering things like theft that many other companies would not.

After having done a few rentals, it occurred to me that for longer rentals, it would simply be better to buy the lenses and sell them after the trip. High end lenses tend to hold their value extremely well. Camera bodies don't hold value quite as well, but you may wish to compare the price of this option... it still might make sense. Plus it's easier to get insurance from a third party when you own it.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:58 pm

Can you save more money from renting lenses? I don't think so. buying few lenses that you can use for longer time will surely give value to your money. You can even rent it to others.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by krawin
Can you save more money from renting lenses? I don't think so. buying few lenses that you can use for longer time will surely give value to your money. You can even rent it to others.
I can think of several reasons for renting a lens:

- It's a specialized lens for which you have no long-term need.

- You want to try out an expensive lens before you (perhaps) buy it.

- You expect to buy a different lens that will eliminate the need for this one.

Etc., etc. Others will undoubtedly be able to come up with more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.