Search

Using an iPad rather than a laptop as an adjunct to a camera

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Using an iPad rather than a laptop as an adjunct to a camera

I did a search and found surprisingly little. I am going on a trip soon and am planning on getting back to more active photography during the trip and when I return. I purchased for the trip, using points, a Sony DSC-RX100 vI and am planning on shooting RAW+JPEG with it. I am leaving the Canon DSLR home this time.

I would like to experiment using an iPad for initial backup (I have the adaptor) and even editing. Most of the hotels, perhaps all, that I stay in will have free WiFi so I would like to do online backups as well. Is Picasa the way to go with this? If so what is the most efficient way to transfer from the iPad to Picasa.

Do people have any suggestions on workflow or software to use on an iPad. Photoshop Touch looks to certainly be worth a try but are there others. I have 4x32 gb cards I am planning to carry which should get me between 3000 and 4000 images sets (RAW+JPEG) which should be enough but I would like to back them up.

Do people have any comments on the Lightroom on the iPad? I much prefer Lightroom to Photoshop on the Mac but have no experience on the iPad. Also, comments on iPhoto for the iPad.

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:16 am

I traveled in Europe without a laptop and brought extra USB flash drives to back up my cards. I also tried to use online backup (flickr, dropbox, etc.) but hotel wifi (and even a couple of places that provided desktops with wired connections) was way too slow for GBs of data. The connection would break every time before 100 photos (jpeg only). I expect they were smart enough to control the bandwidth so people aren't hogging it all for streaming media and the like, just enough for email and web browsing. Since I knew which places on my trip provided desktops, I used them to back up the cards to the USB flash drives.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Do people have any comments on the Lightroom on the iPad? I much prefer Lightroom to Photoshop on the Mac but have no experience on the iPad. Also, comments on iPhoto for the iPad.

Thanks for any help.
I am a long-time user of Lightroom on the Mac (since version 2) and it is an integral part of my workflow.

I have recently started out testing Lightroom for iPad and I am yet to decide whether I am somewhat disappointed or completely underwhelmed.

Big issue #1 is the need to have the the RAW images first imported with Lightroom on a Mac or PC in order to get them to the iPad version. You cannot get RAW images directly from the camera, only JPEG. That is 3actually a deal breaker for me.

Big issue #2 is the UI while not quite as hopeless as something like Filterstorm, it is kludgy and nowhere near the sophistication of Snapseed. I suppose I can learn to live with the UI but I will not love it.

Big issue #3 is performance. Even with relatively simple edits my Retina iPad slowed down considerably.

For these three main reasons, Lightroom for iPad is not going to be a part of my workflow.

Cheers,
T.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:25 am

I just found a review of Lightroom for iPad that might be helpful.

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Thalassa; Oct 8, 2014 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:30 pm

I'd steer well clear of using an iPad as a part of any serious workflow - they simply do not have the flexibility needed for back ups.

If I'm backing up on travels I'll normally do the following:

1. Fill memory card with poorly executed shots.
2. Connect memory card to Macbook Air (not much bigger / heavier than an iPad) and back up contents to laptop harddrive.
3. Back up everything also onto a WD MyPassort 1tb harddrive.
Repeat

I'll then put anything onto the iPad if I really need, but usually just use it for displaying photos and do the very occasional edit on it for quick social media jpegs.

Not knocking the iPad as I always travel with one - but it's poor at file management with large quantities / file sizes even when jailbroken. Perfectly fine for edits if you don't have the laptop with you, but I'd never rely upon it as a back up.

If you don't have a light travel laptop, consider purchasing a small back up HDD (like the WD myPassport, they are as cheap as chips and fairly robust) and using hotel PCs to do exactly the same as above.

It's far easier to do offline back ups rather than hoping for a decent upload speed using hotel wifi.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: most of them
I don't have an ipad but I do have a Nexus tablet and I couldn't imagine using it for photo editing or dealing with large quantities of data. The only thing I might be interested in using it for would be as a remote trigger for my Oly E-M1. (The Olympus wifi app is quite good)

You might consider an ultralight laptop. As mentioned above it's not much bigger or heavier than a tablet. I currently use an HP ultrabook. Weighs just over 3 pounds and it just about the size of an A4 piece of paper. But a mac air is about the same. I don't mind editing photos on it for short periods but it doesn't compare to my desktop for real editing work.

Is there a reason why you plan to shoot RAW+JPG? I've found that the JPGs just take up space when I used to do that. Now I just shoot RAW only.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
I took my Ipad with me for a two week trip to Africa. Basically, all it was good for was to show pictures to my fellow travellers. I would take multiple memory cards. My D7100 has 2 slots, so I use that. Edit/delete/etc on my desktop when I got home.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:36 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by Thalassa
Did William of Ockham ever nick himself?
That would seem to be the simplest explanation, so it's probably the correct one.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by pushback
That would seem to be the simplest explanation, so it's probably the correct one.

Cheers,
T.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.