Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Which hotel have the best views in Honolulu or London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Which hotel in Honolulu have a good view of Diamond head? It would be great if the window can be opened so that I can get a clear shot with my camera without facing potential reflection issue.

Same thing with London. I know the Shard is the tallest building with a hotel inside. Not sure what kind of prices, but I know it's expensive. Can the windows in the hotel be opened? Besides that, are there any other hotels with good views of London?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You can get great views of Diamond Head from the Halekulani. Most of the rooms (all?) have balconies, so no worries about reflections in a window. Expect to pay a lot, though. Over $500/night for a basic room, $800+ for a Diamond Head view.

(Personally, I've never gone past the lobby there - a bit rich for my budget.)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:24 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Maybe a suite at the Marriott County Hall across the river from the Palace of Westminster?

Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Maybe a suite at the Marriott County Hall across the river from the Palace of Westminster?

I have had some nice views of the Thames from the Howard, now the SwissHotel but it is on the other side, looking towards South Bank. That view from the Marriot is spectacular.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem
You can get great views of Diamond Head from the Halekulani. Most of the rooms (all?) have balconies, so no worries about reflections in a window. Expect to pay a lot, though. Over $500/night for a basic room, $800+ for a Diamond Head view.

(Personally, I've never gone past the lobby there - a bit rich for my budget.)
$500/night even in low season?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo

That's a very nice view indeed. Is it only available if one gets a suite? Any way to spend a bit less and still get a good view?

I still want to know if it's possible to open the window at the Shangri-La at the Shard.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Just call them. (Shard)

I don't think there is a "low season" in Hawaii. If you want truly awesome pictures in Honolulu take a doors off helicopter ride. Fantastic!!! http://www.genesisaviation.net/

Last edited by Jeannietx; Aug 6, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Sheraton Waikiki is pretty good. Get the club floor, and you can get into the lounge on top floor. I think the view is slightly better than Halekulani cause it's higher up.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Halekulani is always expensive no matter when you go. Most of the hotels on Waikiki Beach have a good view of Diamond Head if you get a ocean front room (not simply an "ocean view" room) -- I have great pictures of Diamond Head from the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach (aka the "Out Main") both from the room and especially from the rooftop deck, which you can access if you use the spa (with the money you save from not staying at Halekulani ) Every room I've ever stayed in on Oahu has a sliding door leading to a balcony/lanai, so getting good pix is no problem.

FWIW I do like to go to Halekulani for a drink and hula performance at the outside bar "House Without a Key" but every time I've thought about booking a room there the prices are just too high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.