Reload this Page >

Complete newbie at photography, trying to decide between

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complete newbie at photography, trying to decide between

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by satman40
Good pictures are about the photographer,

An expensive stove does not make a good cook.

Composition makes the shot,

I phone S110, 90% of the shots are fine, with less weight.

7D, 18-270 lense, depends on weight, light, action..

Expensive stove do not mean a good cook.
Absolutely true.

However, iPhone has no zoom, limited ISO, crappy low-light capability, no manual controls, no tripod mount, horrible ergonomics, and limited storage.

Good pictures are about the photographer, but when a phone camera that makes all decisions for you, your photography skills are canceled out. Photographers make the decision to adjust ISO, white balance, zoom, over- or under-expose, etc. When your equipment doesn't allow you to make those decisions, then the equipment is really the photographer, and all you are is a button-pusher.

Head to head with any phone camera, a real camera wins every time.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Camera phones are fine for when you want to snap a close-up pic of something for Facebook or eBay, but when you want to take vacation pics, you might as well be using an Etch-a-Sketch.... compared to even the cheapest of P&S cameras, phones also have poor low-light capabilities, extremely limited exposure controls, anemic illuminators, and horrible handling characteristics... I would never suggest to anyone, even the most camera-averse, that they rely solely on their phone for vacation photography.
iPhone has no zoom, limited ISO, crappy low-light capability, no manual controls, no tripod mount, horrible ergonomics, and limited storage....when a phone camera that makes all decisions for you, your photography skills are canceled out. Photographers make the decision to adjust ISO, white balance, zoom, over- or under-expose, etc. When your equipment doesn't allow you to make those decisions, then the equipment is really the photographer, and all you are is a button-pusher.

My wife and I merely pushed the button to capture 400 photos of completely satisfactory quality, and did so with immediacy and convenience. Carrying less electronics left us unencumbered to wade in the water and climb atop ruins without our pockets bulging, without anything dangling from our wrists or necks, with our hands completely free. This isn't to say that a dedicated camera can't do better. It is merely to say that for conveniently producing an imprint to retain the memories, a phone provides a handy way to get it done, without any fuss or additional expense.

Last edited by Flyertall; Nov 16, 2014 at 10:58 am Reason: Pics removed due to snarky remarks below by "abmj-jr"
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Umm. Nice pictures??

One's inability to follow posting instructions not withstanding, this is an argument that has no right answer. Some of us are content to "imprint" our vacation or other travel memories with whatever is at hand, not caring about the actual images thus produced. Others are very much interested in getting the best images we can, because we can. It is part of the process of enjoying the travel. For those who don't care about that aspect, a phone camera is probably all one needs. For those of us who do care, on the other hand, a phone camera feature, with all its limitations, will never be sufficient.

It is the same for the avid golfer who isn't satisfied with putt-putt golf, the painter who isn't satisfied with a child's water color set or the real musician who isn't going to waste time with a kazoo. They could all get results with the entry level stuff but aren't happy with the results. You enjoy experiencing the places you go with your loved one. I do too but also enjoy very much the process of getting the best images of interesting places I can. Downloading a picture from Getty or other stock agencies just won't replace getting that great image myself. I'd rather sell my images to a stock agency than download from them.

Why argue over it? We all have our priorities. Mine is the photography. Yours isn't. Who cares?

Last edited by abmj-jr; Nov 15, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Gold
Hi All,

I've been looking at this thread and have a very similar requirement as the OP. Although my wife is pregnant and is due any day and she said "we need a better camera...now"

The price range of the S280HS is exactly what I'm looking for and seems to get a good recommendation from those on the thread. I don't mind getting an older model. I have a friend that is staying with me and they have the Canon G15, which is more than what I want to spend. Since I'm not a camera person whatsoever, what are the major differences of a camera like that?

Also, I will take the advice of those on the thread a spend a couple of hours educating myself on youtube tutorials! Hope this post doesn't hijack the thread.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by ck777
Hi All,

I've been looking at this thread and have a very similar requirement as the OP. Although my wife is pregnant and is due any day and she said "we need a better camera...now"

The price range of the S280HS is exactly what I'm looking for and seems to get a good recommendation from those on the thread. I don't mind getting an older model. I have a friend that is staying with me and they have the Canon G15, which is more than what I want to spend. Since I'm not a camera person whatsoever, what are the major differences of a camera like that?

Also, I will take the advice of those on the thread a spend a couple of hours educating myself on youtube tutorials! Hope this post doesn't hijack the thread.
The main advantages of the G15 over the SX280 would be (in no particular order):

* G15 has an aperture of 1.8-2.8, meaning that it opens its eye wider to let in more light, which is great for indoor and low-light photography.

* G15 has an ISO range of 80-12800, a step higher than the SX280's 80-6400. Higher ISO means pics in lower light as well.

* G15 has more physical controls (buttons and dials), which makes it easier to change settings quickly without hunting through menus or using multiple button combinations.

* G15 has a hot shoe for attaching an external flash unit,which saves the camera's battery when taking a lot of flash pics.

* G15 has a thicker grip area on the right side, making it easier to hold

* G15 has slots on the sides for a standard neck strap, vs. the crappy wrist cord on the SX-series cameras

The advantages of the SX280 over the G15 are:

* Longer zoom (25-500eq vs 28-140eq)

* Lighter weight (233g vs 350g)

* Slightly smaller size

* Lower price

* GPS

* Wi-Fi

Note: There is a newer model called the G16, which is an incremental upgrade of the G15. The G16 has a faster processor, leading to faster autofocus and frames per second.

If they're in your budget, either the G15 or the G16 would make an excellent travel camera. The main feature of the SX280 that I like more than the G15/G16 is the longer zoom. You can't beat being able to zoom out to a 500mm equivalent with a compact camera. You can really reach out and touch your subjects.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:38 pm

The main advantages of the G15 over the SX280 would be (in no particular order):

* G15 has an aperture of 1.8-2.8, meaning that it opens its eye wider to let in more light, which is great for indoor and low-light photography.

* G15 has an ISO range of 80-12800, a step higher than the SX280's 80-6400. Higher ISO means pics in lower light as well.

* G15 has more physical controls (buttons and dials), which makes it easier to change settings quickly without hunting through menus or using multiple button combinations.

* G15 has a hot shoe for attaching an external flash unit,which saves the camera's battery when taking a lot of flash pics.

* G15 has a thicker grip area on the right side, making it easier to hold

* G15 has slots on the sides for a standard neck strap, vs. the crappy wrist cord on the SX-series cameras

The advantages of the SX280 over the G15 are:

* Longer zoom (25-500eq vs 28-140eq)

* Lighter weight (233g vs 350g)

* Slightly smaller size

* Lower price

* GPS

* Wi-Fi

Note: There is a newer model called the G16, which is an incremental upgrade of the G15. The G16 has a faster processor, leading to faster autofocus and frames per second.

If they're in your budget, either the G15 or the G16 would make an excellent travel camera. The main feature of the SX280 that I like more than the G15/G16 is the longer zoom. You can't beat being able to zoom out to a 500mm equivalent with a compact camera. You can really reach out and touch your subjects.
Thanks for taking the time to post the differences between the 2 cameras. After 2 hours of my last post my wife went into labor, so no new camera . How cool to hold a little baby in my arms while I attempt to type one handed and keep my eyes open.

I like the G15 or 16 and may wait until thanksgiving for a sale. The zoom is really nice on the 280...quite a toss up. Thanks again!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ck777
Thanks for taking the time to post the differences between the 2 cameras. After 2 hours of my last post my wife went into labor, so no new camera . How cool to hold a little baby in my arms while I attempt to type one handed and keep my eyes open.

I like the G15 or 16 and may wait until thanksgiving for a sale. The zoom is really nice on the 280...quite a toss up. Thanks again!
Congratulations!

When you do get that new camera, I'm sure it will get quite a workout now.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:39 am

WOW! Having never had a decent camera the G16 is incredible and more importantly my wife loves the pictures of our newborn! I still need to watch some youtube videos to learn some basic settings, but just putting it on Auto is so awesome.

Thanks for all the advice, money well spent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.