Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinons of this Sony point and shoot?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Opinons of this Sony point and shoot?

I hope this is the appropriate place for this question.

I don't have any photography expertise, and I don't really have time to get into learning how to use anything but a point and shoot right now. I currently have a Sony DSC-N2 with a Carl Zeiss lens which I've had for years and love to death. It takes clear, crisp photos and I can get great 8x10 prints of every photo. Overall, I'm constantly amazed at the quality of photos that I can take with it. There are only two issues:
(1) the optical zoom is only 3x, which has frustrated me in the past when trying to zoom in on something far away; and
(2) 8x10 prints are great, but I really want to be able to make crisp, clear, good (not just "acceptable") larger prints (as large as 24"x36" or a standard equivalent).

So I'm in the market for a zoomier camera, but I don't want to give up on the quality I've experienced with my current Sony and I don't want to spend more than $300. I've been looking at the Sony DSC-WX300 because it's in my price range at $230, has 20x zoom and 18.2MP (which I know isn't a huge factor), and I've had one good experience with Sony so far.

For you photography folks, what do you think about the camera? Is there a point and shoot from another company that you would recommend over this one? I've looked into Canons, and they seem great, but I'm hesitant to try a new camera brand when I've had it so good with Sony thus far. Reviews online are also very mixed. If anyone can recommend a camera that meets the following criteria, or can offer input on the Sony DSC-WX300, please post!

Criteria for camera:
- Point and shoot
- 15+ optical zoom
- Rechargeable batter (no AA batteries please - nonnegotiable)
- Can take great quality photos for large (and small) prints
- Fast-ish processing time (Nikon point and shoots I've played with seem slow compared to my current Sony, for example)
- Stable zoom
- Great autofocus
- $300 or under

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: *G
youre aksing for quite a lot. 20x zoom on that camera is slow, so the picture will be prone to motion blur and also diffraction from the small sensor. they wont make nice prints at 24x36

sticking with sony there is the rx10, but it costs significantly more than your target spend
Old May 6, 2014, 7:29 am

Look into the Lumix FZ200 - its a 24 times zoom but super fast so that you can take pics without blur. It's 400 dollars though. Read the reviews on Amazon it seems like many people are happy with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.