Go Pro Anyone?

Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:03 pm

Thanks. I'm headed to Florida in part to pick up a puppy with my family. I think mounting that to my 8 year old's head (who could not be more excited) when he sees the dog for the first time would be worth the cost of the camera.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
This may have made the rounds before, but worth reposting: A unique GoPro video taken in flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3QrhdfLCO8
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:38 am

I got the GoPro Hero 3 black last year and bring it everywhere. It's easy to charge on a laptop when traveling for business and I bring all of the mounts and fancy accessories on my personal travels. You never know when a cool opportunity will come up, so it definitely gets put to good use. I have taken some great shots while hiking or visiting places at high altitudes.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I like reading the tips. I am looking to get a Go Pro soon after testing out a friends.

For those that are action sport participants, this Go Pro drone that I saw on kickstarter the other week looks cool.

The Air Dog drone that has a Go Pro attached and follows you.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sunset via my GoPro on BNA-JAX last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBHZVr_WFQ
http://blog.wandr.me/2014/07/video-sunset-in-flight/

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
How did you manage to get such a clean window Seth? every time I try to use a camera to take pictures from a plane window it's always smudged (often from the outside)

I use a GoPro during my motorsport volunteering... the problem is you got to be really up close to whatever you're filming... so when I want to be on camera I basically have to hold it two feet from my face, and you still see everything around me... crazy fisheye! at least in the setting I use it in.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
... crazy fisheye! at least in the setting I use it in.
In case anyone is interested, these are the FOV numbers for still photos with a Hero 3 Black for stills, 4:3 wide mode:
94.4 degrees tall
122.6 degrees wide
149.2 degrees corner to corner.

Software reports the 35mm equivalent as 14 or 15mm, but 35mm is a 3:2 ratio vs the GoPro 4:3 [for stills], so it's not quite a 1:1 match up.

Adobe ($) has a lens correction profile for the GoPro, which fixes curved lines in the image that aren't supposed to be curved. This gives an image that looks more like it was taken with a rectilinear super wide angle lens. Distortion will still be present, more pronounced at the edges than center, but linear not curved. There are also 3rd party software packages out there, including a free one reported to do the same conversion.

In 16:9 video mode, the FOV numbers are 69.5H, 118.2W 133.6D
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Looking at either the new GoPro Hero (129), Hero 3 White (199), or a HTC RE (199) for going in the water and sticking to my cat. If the photos show up in my iPhone via Wi-Fi it's a plus, but not a must. What's the better buy?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by msp3
Looking at either the new GoPro Hero (129), Hero 3 White (199), or a HTC RE (199) for going in the water and sticking to my cat. If the photos show up in my iPhone via Wi-Fi it's a plus, but not a must. What's the better buy?
I think the WiFi app does pull photos and videos onto your iPad/iPhone/Android over Wifi, (I don't use it that way.) If you have turned on ProTune, you may not be able to play the videos on the phone/tablet, but should be ok on a desktop.

Wifi+Water: The Wifi signal is lost under water. You can start a movie, but it'll disconnect when you go under. it should reconnect when you surface. 55-60' of ski rope seems to be the real-world outside limit to an iPhone.

Just water, GoPro works fine.

GoPro is probably more cat friendly. Attach to collar upside down, set flip mode and let kitty chase the laser. The HTC looks like it'd be tough to do.

Cat+GoPro+Water: probably not recommended, but your mileage may vary; most cats don't care for water, and most mammals don't care to go into water with a anchor around their neck. If you cat is an adult Savannah or Serval, maybe ....

GoPro Black is the top of the line, with White and Silver having less features. You need to make that call yourself.

GoPro includes video editing software (download, registration-ware) that is complete enough for file conversion, and some basic editing.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by reft
I think the WiFi app does pull photos and videos onto your iPad/iPhone/Android over Wifi, (I don't use it that way.) If you have turned on ProTune, you may not be able to play the videos on the phone/tablet, but should be ok on a desktop.

Wifi+Water: The Wifi signal is lost under water. You can start a movie, but it'll disconnect when you go under. it should reconnect when you surface. 55-60' of ski rope seems to be the real-world outside limit to an iPhone.

Just water, GoPro works fine.

GoPro is probably more cat friendly. Attach to collar upside down, set flip mode and let kitty chase the laser. The HTC looks like it'd be tough to do.

Cat+GoPro+Water: probably not recommended, but your mileage may vary; most cats don't care for water, and most mammals don't care to go into water with a anchor around their neck. If you cat is an adult Savannah or Serval, maybe ....

GoPro Black is the top of the line, with White and Silver having less features. You need to make that call yourself.

GoPro includes video editing software (download, registration-ware) that is complete enough for file conversion, and some basic editing.
Just got the new GoPro Hero. Won't have Wi-Fi, but the new low-end model is so affordable. Looking forward to a swim with dolphins at the Four Seasons Lanai Manele Bay.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:51 am

Hey everyone, It seems Gopro have many fantastic functions. So, If I want to dive, is using Gopro still alright?
If thats fine, where can I buy one?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sunset via my GoPro on BNA-JAX last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBHZVr_WFQ
http://blog.wandr.me/2014/07/video-sunset-in-flight/

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
That is super cool! How did you attach and stabilize the goPro?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by johnsonholmes
Hey everyone, It seems Gopro have many fantastic functions. So, If I want to dive, is using Gopro still alright?
If thats fine, where can I buy one?
Yes, you can dive with it down to ~130' depths. They are available to buy at most electronics or camera retailers. I haven't seen them discounted much if at all so just go with what's convenient.

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
That is super cool! How did you attach and stabilize the goPro?
I built my own rig at one point but now mostly use the suction cup mount.

I've got a bunch more takeoffs and landings - all the recent ones shot with my gopro - in my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3B474AAF06404C.

Last edited by sbm12; Oct 25, 2014 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:06 am

Do you guys mostly use the GoPro for photos or videos? I've got a really cheap underwater camera at the moment for the few times I want to take pictures under water. I got it after being only a few feet away from a manatee and feeling extremely annoyed I couldn't take a picture. Is a GoPro worth it? Are the photographs a good quality? I never take videos of my travels, I just don't like it, so it would be purely for the few times I go snorkelling.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 pm

I use it for both. The controls are challenging if you like to vary your shots a lot and the ultra wide angle can be a turn-off in some still photos but it can also be very convenient.

For my next dive I plan on still taking my regular camera in an u/w housing for stills, mostly because it also can trigger the strobes and because I can properly frame shots with the viewfinder, and also the GoPro in case I want the fisheye effect for something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.