Search

Fujifilm camera stores in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Fujifilm camera stores in Japan?

Has anyone gone to Japan and picked up some lenses for their cameras, or picked up some cameras? I recently got an X-T1 and love it, but I would like to get a few more lenses. Is it worth it getting those in Japan and then bringing them back to the States? Do I risk getting them confiscated by customs? And does anyone have any Fuji stores to recommend in Kyoto or Osaka?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: most of them
Why would they be confiscated? I would guess that as long as you declare them you would be fine. The only potential issue would be getting warranty coverage in the USA. Nikon seems to be a stickler about that for example (only wanting to service US market lenses and cameras). Don't know about Fuji.

You might be better off buying here anyway. I've found that this sort of gear is usually cheaper here than overseas anyway.

Looks like there are lots of "instant rebates" on their lenses right now
http://www.adorama.com/l/Lenses/Mirr...unt_Fujifilm-X
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
This question has come up many times before and the consensus remains the same. For new items like cameras or lenses, it is probably not such a good idea. They will most likely cost as much or more than in the US and you risk the possibility of losing warranty support when you get back home. Folks have been told they must send the camera/lens back to the country of sale for such support, so any service would have to be done in Japan.

That being said, there are large Bic and Yodobashi Camera stores in both cities. The ones in Kyoto are very near the station - Bic is actually connected via the west entrance and Yodobashi is just north on Karasuma-dori about a half block.

Be prepared to be overwhelmed. Both of the above stores make the B&H superstore in NYC look small. Also, language might be an issue. Kyoto is more used to foreign visitors than other places, but when I visited Yodobashi Camera in both Sendai and Sapporo, I had to use my not-great Japanese, which was better than the clerk's English, to communicate.

EDIT: I see glenaa11 and I were typing at the same time. I agree with him that you are unlikely to match the Adorama or B&H rebate prices with anything you find in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.