Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

How do you pick your Wedding Photographer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

I am not a photographer so I thought I might ask the experts here

We are currently planning our wedding in East Europe (Slovakia).

One of our tasks is to find a photographer. We have received a few recommendations. The price is roughly the same, some are even 200 Euros cheaper.

I wonder what are some of the tips people look for. For example the photographer below. To me it looks fairly normal and not that special in quality or scene setting, but what do I know?

Photographer

My second little question is, we also thought of hiring somebody who does the filming. Is that worth it in general? Somehow thought that watching a film in years to come in addition to photos

Thanks for your input
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
I'll only comment on the contractual side: make sure you know exactly what you're getting for your money. Does the fee cover just his/her being there? Does it cover any prints at all? Does it cover a DVD? Is there a low res web site? Is there a high res web site? Does it cover an album? If so, what are its specs? What are the prices per print, and what size AND QUALITY (ours did her printing at Costco!)? Is there just one photographer, or is there also an assistant? What is the venue, so you and the photographer will know in advance if she needs any special equipment, and if so, what will the charges be? Is she insured? Who pays for broken equipment?

(Why am I pointing all this out: because we got...what's the right word? Surprised. Quality was great, costs weren't!)

Underlying assumption is that the photographer is good, but check out his/her web site, get recs from others, anything on Yelp, and maybe have them do some sample shots for you (engagement, around the wedding site, whatever).
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Part of the decision is about the photographer's style and whether it matches what you want.

Things may have (probably have) evolved a lot since I got married 8 years ago, but back then, I remember noticing that many photographers fit into one of two styles: (1) those whose work showed a lot of posed photographs and "classic" wedding moments; and (2) those whose work was almost more like a street photographer's style, with an emphasis on candid images. And of course, some photographers did some of each but typically were better at one than the other.

We chose a photographer who was interested in (2), but was willing to (and did a good job) of a short list of posed images. It suited our style. There are some people who would prefer (1) (or whose relatives would expect (1)).

Another reason we chose our photographer is because he gave us a file with most of the images on it (except the duds), without any copyright or other stamp in the images. That meant we could print our images relatively cheaply ourselves. These were unretouched images, though. I expect he did some very minimal processing on them, but only a little. He did have prices for prints he'd make, where he would do differing levels of processing/retouching. We had a few images printed this way, but mostly we printed the images ourselves. He also asked us (and we agreed) that if we posted images online, we'd attribute them to him.

We spent a fair bit per hour on his time, and saved money by not having him photograph us over the full day. (In some weddings, I know that the photographer is there from the start of the bride's and groom's prep early in the am all the way until the last guest goes home.) We weren't into that, so I think we only had about 6 hours of coverage.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Those tilted, angled images are a definite modern style choice of the photographer. It looks to make up a big part of his work and is probably habitual by now. If you like that look, he will probably be fine. Some do but some folks definitely do not. I suspect he would have a hard time NOT doing that in the heat of the moment if you don't want it.

There are a number of choices on the web for information on choosing a photographer. Try Google. I've linked one below that has some good ideas, except for the "mandatory equipment list," which is pure BS as far as I am concerned. They simply listed what THEY use. There are many excellent, top level wedding pros who do not shoot that run-of-the-mill Canon or Nikon equipment. Don't be snowed by brand snobs.

http://www.linandjirsa.com/15-questi...-photographer/
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:44 am

I am from the same region so here is my experience.

Usually the photographer's fee include one set of prints of the agreed amount of pictures. Let say you agreed that you want 50 pictures then he will take a lot more then you will have tho chose which 50 you want.

If you want the original digital version that is usually extra and it is not included in the price.

Filming is not worth it, IMO.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the very useful tips and the link. Will print it to read with OH

For the venue because its very popular the photographers we have contacted most of them have been there for weddings.

One wedding I went to there was a photographer who did portraits of guests/wedding couple and then on a table a few hours later he was selling them, around 10Euros each if I remember correctly.

When my brother was married the first time in Rome he got this very very expensive leather attache case with photo album. The photos were very nice but it was the case etc that made it I think.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:13 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I would also say - try to meet them. This is somebody who's going to be around for a large chunk of your wedding day, ordering you and your guests around - this is no mean feat, particularly if you want a number of formal photos, and the last thing you want is to end up with someone who annoys everybody, insists on a bunch of cheesy poses you don't want, or fails to get everybody in place for the proper photos.

I also think it's worth asking if they've got any physical samples of their work. Obviously, all this is harder when they're further away. But you can quickly get a feel for the quality they produce, but also for the style that they end up going for. If you want reportage, and all their samples are formal (or vice-versa), perhaps they're the wrong person.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:59 pm

When we planned our wedding 10 years ago, we went to a wedding trade show with over 30 wedding photographers there. We eliminated the ones that won't give you the films (it was still in the days of films) and left only a few to pick. You really need to find one that will give you the original film or (digital image) since you don't know how long they will be in business. And make sure you ask how long after the wedding you will get the pictures. We know people who had to wait over a year before they got their wedding photos...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Just a little update, first thanks again for the input. Not easy when organizing a wedding abroad.

I have emailed one of the possible photographers who answered my questions about editing etc (he provides 400 photos on a DVD) and prints 50 copies 10 x 15 cm. Like you advised on one of the links above the photographer confirmed that he can post me a sample.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
My personal rules :
1. The photographer will not tell me how to post and where my flowers should go. He or she should understand it's my wedding and it should fit my style.
2. She or he will not spend hours taking group photos. I'm not in high school anymore.
3. Photos should reflect the mood of that day. I want to see my family / friends and their real emotion.
4. She or he should work quietly in the background, not stopping actions and sticking camera in your face.

I have these rules because I'm so sick of most wedding photographers. They boss people around, becomes the drama queen, and dragging the photo sessions on forever. For my wedding, we ended up getting a photo journalistic guy and he was great. Most of my photos are spontaneous and fun. Even after all these years, friends still ask to see our albums. Brings back joy.

Congrad by the way. Good luck.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Just a little update. We have picked the photographer. He sent me some photos which I showed some colleagues. I will get 400 photos in the deal and about 100 printed ones.
I asked about getting unedited ones but it was not possible. Overall he has been really friendly and speaks good English which is useful since majority of the guests do not speak an Slovak.

I think we will go for videographer, not too pricy even if all this will ad up.

Thanks again all
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Definitely meet with them and see if you get along as you'll be spending one of the most important days of your lives with them.
Take a long look at their portfolio and see if you like their style.
Be sure to compare their photos and see if they all look the same (i.e if the photographer makes every couple pose the same way or go to certain places in the city over and over). You may or may not want a photographer who is creative enough to go outside the box.
Definitely study their contracts and ask them questions. Some photographers hide clauses in their contracts that are somewhat one-sided.
When we got married we struck the clause that they retain full rights to the photos for life and any reproductions would require their permission and fee.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver-tls
Definitely study their contracts and ask them questions. Some photographers hide clauses in their contracts that are somewhat one-sided.
When we got married we struck the clause that they retain full rights to the photos for life and any reproductions would require their permission and fee.
Thanks again.
I checked and there was not such a clause, luckily. In the next few weeks we hope to be able to meet up with him and also the videographer
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:44 pm

Pick base on
- style of work
- compatibility
- consistency
- reliability
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Another little update, we are meeting with the photographer in 2 weeks.

Trying to make a list of things I should ask him. One is a few photos we want. The other is the photos before the ceremony, during, after and for how long he will stay at the wedding.

Any other suggestions from the experts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.