Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sony RX100

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
interested in the same info.

looking at 4 options to replace my Canon S100 and my Nikon dslr kit on city walking vacations. I want to do a P&S with larger sensor, great color rendition and a reasonable zoom.

currently looking at Sony RX100 ii, Canon G7X, Fuji X30 and the older X20. I like what I see with the Fujis and have read great reviews. not too excited about their size. I like Canons but am not impressed with the G7X reviews I've seen so far. I tested the initial version of the Sony RX100 awhile back and the menu frustrated me. I may have to compromise somewhere along the line though...menu, size, etc.

as initial post asked, anyone with hands-on experience with the RX100 and G7X...and the two Fujis for that matter. interested in personal experiences and input.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Has anyone been able to compare the G7x to the RX100/2 or 100/3 in person? I am looking at these two as a travel camera to replace my 7D as it is becoming too much of a hassle to carry around...
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:39 am

Same boat as jacknyoc, looking to upgrade from canon S95. What do people think about mk1, 2, 3 ? is it worth paying the extra $300 for mk3 ?

I would use this as a primary camera for travel. I am a photo nut and pretty much take pictures, wonder around, and travel. I ve seen the quality of this camera but leaning towards mk2. Looking forward to night time photography that this camera will have over S95.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by banffcowgirl
Same boat as jacknyoc, looking to upgrade from canon S95. What do people think about mk1, 2, 3 ? is it worth paying the extra $300 for mk3 ?

I would use this as a primary camera for travel. I am a photo nut and pretty much take pictures, wonder around, and travel. I ve seen the quality of this camera but leaning towards mk2. Looking forward to night time photography that this camera will have over S95.
Honestly the IQ is pretty similar between the 3 RX100s. If you want a hot shoe, wi-fi or tilting screen, get the mk 2. If you want to be able to tilt the screen up 180 degrees or, more importantly (to many people), a pop-up OLED DVF, then get the MK 3.

I bought the MK 1 myself because the value factor was unbeatable ($330 for a brand new one off eBay). I didn't care for the DVF or the tilt screen, and while wifi is nice I could just spring for a Eye Fi card if I ever needed it.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510
Honestly the IQ is pretty similar between the 3 RX100s. If you want a hot shoe, wi-fi or tilting screen, get the mk 2. If you want to be able to tilt the screen up 180 degrees or, more importantly (to many people), a pop-up OLED DVF, then get the MK 3.

I bought the MK 1 myself because the value factor was unbeatable ($330 for a brand new one off eBay). I didn't care for the DVF or the tilt screen, and while wifi is nice I could just spring for a Eye Fi card if I ever needed it.
Thank you - I on my xmas gift to myself. Purchased the MK2.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by banffcowgirl

I have the mk 2 with the optional EVF and am seriously considering getting the mk 3. While functionality wise, the 2 with the EVF is very similar to the 3, the optional EVF is quite bulky and make the camera not quite pocketable.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Amazon Warehouse Deals has a few "used" RX100 III's for sale for ~$565. They are listed at $627.86, but there's a 10% discount automatically applied @ checkout.

4 currently available, but that's changing constantly. Make sure to read the details. Some are missing accessories.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I got the better deal from the Best Buy open boxes. Can't wait to get it in!
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Guys and Gals,

there really is no need to obsess so much as to which camera to pick. Every modern enthusiast P&S is plenty good. To wit, below are two images taken with a relatively ancient Canon S90 in the past couple of days.

Christmas Day
by monojussi, on Flickr

Sir Humppa, Surveying His Realm
by monojussi, on Flickr

Both were shot handheld, in RAW. The night scene was with completely manual control, the day scene with aperture priority. Both have some (not very extensive) Lightroom editing.

Just get a camera that fits your hand, shoots RAW, and gives you full manual controls. Then shoot a lot. You'll be fine.

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Thalassa; Dec 27, 2014 at 5:54 am
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
That night shot seems to have a lot of high ISO noise which newer cameras will deal with better. However, I do agree the best thing is to just go out and shoot!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by chongl
That night shot seems to have a lot of high ISO noise which newer cameras will deal with better.
Which compact P&S cameras (similar to the S90) would do a better job here?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Which compact P&S cameras (similar to the S90) would do a better job here?
Most likely all the cameras in this comparison.

I'd also add the Olympus XZ-2 to the list.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by chongl
That night shot seems to have a lot of high ISO noise which newer cameras will deal with better. However, I do agree the best thing is to just go out and shoot!
You are quite right about the noise. The S90 has never been the best in the low noise department and newer cameras certainly blow it out of the water.

Cheers,
T.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.