Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Considering the jump to Micro 4/3

Considering the jump to Micro 4/3

Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:57 pm

Congratulations! It's a great camera.

If you need any pointers on setup, this post on dpreview links to some useful guides http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50095981
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:26 pm

Congrats on the purchase

I'll give an agreeing nod to richarddd's suggestion to read through that setup guide, in fact I'd say go through it now then read it again in about a months time once you'vce spent a bit of time with the camera and you'll pick up a few things which went over your head the first time.

I'll also say that if you like the 50mm field of view you're going to find it very hard not to get the PL 25mm f1.4
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:48 pm

I'm a novice; I picked up a Panasonic DMC-G5K and have been very pleased with it so far. The M4/3 lens selection is growing but obviously not as mature as the DSLR market. I've learned a lot by reading the M4/3 forum, which is dedicated to news and forums for this market.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: most of them
So the OM-D arrived today. There will be a bit of a learning curve to get used to where things are. I have been a Nikon shooter for many years. One obvious, glaring problem I am going to have with these zoom lenses is that they are backwards. To zoom in or out is opposite to the way you turn a Nikon lens.

The included software is pretty nice though.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Congrats on the purchase! The OM-D is very good, as are most of the native lenses for mFT. Best deals among the primes are the Panasonic 20/1.7 and Olympus 45/1.8 - more of a portrait lens.

I personally travel with the OM-D + Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 + Panasonic 7-14 and the 20/1.7 as minimal setup in a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 bag. When I have more time for photos I'll take the kit above + the Panasonic GX1 camera, Panasonic 45-175 & Olympus 45/1.8 in a Retrospective 7 bag. That way I'll usually have the ultrawide on one body and either a prime or the 12-35 on the other camera.

I personally love the Panasonic 20 f/1.7 although AF is on the slow side among mFT lenses (not suitable for video), but it's really compact, super sharp. I also prefer that it is slightly wider angle than the 25/1.4. There's currently a deal on at slickdeals for the Panasonic 20.

The community at mu-43.com is quite large, you'll find a lot of interesting threads about lens choices, camera bags and a very active classifieds section.

Not sure if you already have it, but Lightroom 4 is really useful if you want to get slightly more image quality out of the images (any camera) by shooting RAW. It's much better than the Oly bundled software. You can usually get it at a discount when buying a lens from the big camera shops. It's very easy to use for cataloging and quick adjustments. The basic settings are very straightforward, definitely worth the money. Of course this is redundant if you already use it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 pm

Jumped on the bandwagon as well a few months ago. Was usually lugging around a D90 with lenses and a smaller Fuji X100 for more discreet missions. It just all started to seem like too much of a hassle.

I had honestly been rather dismissive of these smaller systems as I wondered why I would want to pay DSLR prices for a camera with a smaller sensor and more restrictive lens choices. But the good reviews for the OMD EM5, plus the increasingly interesting array of lenses available made me reconsider and see the benefits of having DSLR-like quality in a more portable and discreet package. Bit the bullet and sold all of my old gear.

I've been using the EM5 plus the Voigtlander 17.5 lens for a few months and have been very very happy with the results. The Voigtlander and the OMD make for a heavy combination but it's still lighter and much smaller than my old D90, and the picture quality has left me more than satisfied, especially low light performance.

Just purchased the 12-50mm kit lens and while it is of course not as fancy as the Voigtlander, it serves a whole different purpose and for the money it seems like a decent deal.

Hope you enjoy shooting with your OMD !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.