Wiki Posts
Search

Tripod as Carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Tripod as Carry-on

Will I be permitted to take my CF tripod through security as carry-on? I haven't tried this yet.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I think it would have to count as one of your carry-ons unless it is contained within a carry-on. I specifically purchased a CF travel tripod that will fold up to fit inside my 21" rollaboard, packed among my clothes and such. TSA screeners always want to open the bag to see what it is but there has never been a problem after that. Tripod and clothes in bag; cameras, lenses and laptop in backpack that fits under the seat. No troubles.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I did a few weeks ago without any problems. Benro CF tripod and Manfrotto 498 head, in the Benro case. I had always packed it previously, but we were traveling light with the checked baggage charges, there was no room for it in the bags, and figured I'd give it a try before forking over another $20.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Almost certainly yes. I have many times in recent months and years.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
I have multiple times without issue, but earlier this year had it refused through security at OTP. Luckily my brother in law was still in the vicinity and I was able to have him hold on to it. YMMV
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: most of them
Carried my Benro CF tripod and Vanguard head in my eBags TLS Weekender carryon bag on a couple of trips to Canada over the summer without any problems or questions asked.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied. I think my tripod is slightly too long for my 22in Travelpro. I'll see if I can remove another piece or if it fits in my Patagonia MLC.

If not I'll get one that folds to fit.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:12 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
I usually pack my Manfrotto CF in my carry on and never once had a problem
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5*, IHG RA, Hyatt Diamond, Amex Plat, SPG Gold
Have packed my Benro tripod into my carryon many times (domestic and internationally) without any problem. Only at HNL did they want to open my bag to check.

When my carryon is full, I stuff it in the side of my backpack where the waterbottle holder is. A few times I've just carried it on my shoulder behind my backpack.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:28 am

I've never had a problem taking mine on any flights, including Ryanair/easyJet.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yes.

In the US, it also should not count against your carryons otherwise; the TSA (though they seem to move the info around on their site all the time) and most airlines exempt cameras / camera gear from carry-on number restrictions. Probably a good deal of them were thinking a P&S in a small camera bag when they listed the exemption, but given airlines deny liability for expensive electronics like cameras, you pretty much have to carry them on.

Even my commercial photographer's insurance will not cover loss or damage to insured gear which is in checked baggage. (The airlines might cover a stolen tripod in checked bags given it's not electronic, though.)

Regardless, I've never been stopped by the TSA from carrying on a tripod slung over my shoulder. I did have one TSO who wanted to talk about photography and was envious of my gear, but that was about it. Well, a few TSOs at the checkpoint suggested checking it in the future "because we don't see these every day" (), but didn't try to stop me from bringing it through.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:42 am

Once, I had to leave mine at the Terminal 2, Lisbon airport. I should have argued a little bit more with them, but I was in a hurry. The excuse they gave me was that it was a "bruising object".
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've had no problems through most of the world with my reasonable sized Manfrotto tripod/head (non-CF) in the bottom of my 21" roller-bag.

However when transiting through Hong Kong on one occasion they did make me take it out of my carry-on (which was fun, given it was on the bottom!) so they could measure it. Once they decided it was below a certain length they were happy to let me continue on my way.

I'm guessing the fact that it extends up to about 6 feet didn't occur to them...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheCount2
Thanks to all who replied. I think my tripod is slightly too long for my 22in Travelpro. I'll see if I can remove another piece or if it fits in my Patagonia MLC.

If not I'll get one that folds to fit.
I don't know if you did this already, but removing the head often will allow a tripod to fit in a 22" carry-on bag.

The other thing to consider is a bean-bag or a SteadePod - both take very little room and can do an adequate job, depending on the circumstances.

bert
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bertsirkin
I don't know if you did this already, but removing the head often will allow a tripod to fit in a 22" carry-on bag.

The other thing to consider is a bean-bag or a SteadePod - both take very little room and can do an adequate job, depending on the circumstances.

bert
I had tried removing the head and it is still too long. However I found that the lower leg sections are removable and the tripod fits that way, but the three leg sections take up more room.

The SteadePod seems to have a lot of negative reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.