Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 23, 12, 11:54 pm   #1

Canon EOS-M announced

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/23/c...era/#continued

Do want.

But I am having trouble justifying purchasing it because I already have a 50D and a S95.
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 12:25 am   #2
scr

Programs: BAEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/23/c...era/#continued

Do want.

But I am having trouble justifying purchasing it because I already have a 50D and a S95.
What about the EOS M is appealing to you? Is it the form factor?

I ask because I have been considering mirrorless cameras too, but can't justify one because I already have a 7D.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 3:32 am   #3

The form factor mainly but like I said, I already have a S95. Even though I might want one, spending $800 on it plus $200 for the converter so I can use my current lenses seems a bit much.
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 7:35 am   #4

It baffles me that canon would introduce a brand new system and then slap another mount on it - why oh why did they not make it EF-S so that every piece of glas can be used?
That's what kept me of the Nikon1 System earlier, I would love to use my glas without a special 200$ adapter.
The APS-C size sensor is great tho, making it really something to think about.
Hades2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 10:02 am   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades2k View Post
It baffles me that canon would introduce a brand new system and then slap another mount on it - why oh why did they not make it EF-S so that every piece of glas can be used?
That's what kept me of the Nikon1 System earlier, I would love to use my glas without a special 200$ adapter.
I'm guessing it comes down to being an issue with where the lens sits and distance to the sensor. There's just not enough depth in there for a standard lens to work without an adapter. The adapter looks like it adds about an inch or so in depth, which would make it about the same distance to the sensor on the dslr. The lenses designed for this camera will be designed to focus onto the sensor at a much smaller distance.

I have to admit, even though I want to upgrade my personal camera (still using an xti), this doesn't look like it'd be a good choice for me, simply because when you add that adapter in, it really looks pretty awkward to use.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 10:33 am   #6

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
I'm guessing it comes down to being an issue with where the lens sits and distance to the sensor. There's just not enough depth in there for a standard lens to work without an adapter. The adapter looks like it adds about an inch or so in depth, which would make it about the same distance to the sensor on the dslr. The lenses designed for this camera will be designed to focus onto the sensor at a much smaller distance.
This is indeed correct. The smaller flange back distance enables smaller and less expensive lenses, among other things. The M mount has FLB of about 18 mm as opposed to the 44 mm of the EF and EF lenses.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jul 24, 12, 12:40 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I read through the preview at dpreview.com - I just don't see anything compelling about the camera at all...nothing 'break through' and nothing that puts it in the same league as the NEX7. I am very disappointed in the lack of innovation from Canon.
Old Jul 24, 12, 2:39 pm   #8

Programs: 1K Mileage Plus, Marriott Silver Elite
I am trying to figure out why they mount the 400 2.8 IS II on this camera. If I am going to mount a lens with that size, it will be a proper DSLR. Thinking more about it, while able to mount EF lens sounds great, but in reality, it just doesn't seems practical. The balance between the body and EF lens will be awkward without using a tripod/monopod, which really defeat the purpose. The battery only last 230 shots is off putting also. I guess that is the price to pay for camera without viewfinder and relies on LCD screen to do most of the functions.

Originally, I was thinking it maybe good to use it as a backup body for people already has a collection of EF lenses, but now I think T4i is the better option.
Old Jul 24, 12, 2:53 pm   #9

Programs: NullPointerException
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilebucky View Post
I am trying to figure out why they mount the 400 2.8 IS II on this camera. If I am going to mount a lens with that size, it will be a proper DSLR. Thinking more about it, while able to mount EF lens sounds great, but in reality, it just doesn't seems practical. The balance between the body and EF lens will be awkward without using a tripod/monopod, which really defeat the purpose. The battery only last 230 shots is off putting also. I guess that is the price to pay for camera without viewfinder and relies on LCD screen to do most of the functions.

Originally, I was thinking it maybe good to use it as a backup body for people already has a collection of EF lenses, but now I think T4i is the better option.
My thoughts exactly. One use would be as a spare body if you already have investment in canon glass - but the chances are that if you have an investment in the glass you likely already have multiple bodies.

If the new lenses they release for it are decent I might jump, but it looks hard to beet the M4/3rds glass that panny has out.
matthewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 4:17 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR LT PLT, SPG PLT100/LT PLT, HH Gold, US LT SLV, AA GLD, UA SLV, EK SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis 1st
Quote:
For the same reason they made the EF-S mount originally. A smaller sensor allowed for a smaller mirror which allowed for lenses that could have smaller spacing and be made lighter and cheaper. Now with no mirror they can do that again - smaller, lighter, cheaper lenses. And to allow the protrusion of the EF-S lenses to fit, the body would need to be thicker. When you're trying to build a small, compact, light body, you take advantage of these opportunities.
CPRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 12, 10:30 pm   #11

Programs: DL Pt Medallion, IHG Pt, HHonors Pt, Marriott Au, Avis First, Periodically Tabled
Quote:
Which further reduces the benefit of a smaller form-factor.

(Although I suppose part of me is thrilled my T3 wasn't such a bad idea after all.)
Formulanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 12, 5:26 am   #12

That does indeed make sense, haven't though about that.
Hades2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 12:25 pm   #13

consider the market for this new camera. It's not those of us who have full dSLR and a kit of lenses. It's for the newbie moving up from a P&S who doesn't want the complexity or bulk of our favorites.

When the EF-S lenses were announced, along with the Rebel, you heard the same gripe. Why a new mount? Anyone still asking that question?

Canon has been in this biz a long time, and successfully stole the lead from Nikon some years back. I suspect they know a thing or two about the marketplace we don't.

While we're on Canon, it's interesting to note that they pioneered stationary mirror SLR around 40 years ago with the Pellix. Note that they haven't gone back to stationary mirrors even though others like Sony have. Curious. Wonder what Canon knows that the others don't?
klevin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 12, 7:04 pm   #14

i think i want one. i think it be an excellent solution for me. we have a 7D. that is a big brick. it is firmly attached to a 600mm lens, and a tripod and dedicated to the osprey nest.. we have a T1, that is just too big to be a point and shoot. we have a panasonic that is very nice for a p&s, but the end result is a bit blurred. i do not know the quality of M photo, but if close to t1 quality, i am very interested. i have about 7 or 8 canon lenses rattling about that fit this thing. why would i buy a sony, which with an extra lens or two will run a couple grand or more?

by the way what does this mean? "The M mount has FLB of about 18 mm as opposed to the 44 mm of the EF and EF lenses."
Old Jul 28, 12, 10:01 am   #15

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
by the way what does this mean? "The M mount has FLB of about 18 mm as opposed to the 44 mm of the EF and EF lenses."
First of all it means I managed to make a typo. FLB is nonsense, it should be FBL, meaning Flange Back Length. This is the distance from the flange, i.e. where the camera and the lens meet to the sensor. This distance with the M mount is 18 millimeters and with the EF and EF-S 44 millimeters. Consequently, the M mount allows for a much thinner body and smaller lenses.

Cheers,
T.