Wiki Posts
Search

Canon 60d vs T4i vs Nikon 7100 and lenses question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Canon 60d vs T4i vs Nikon 7100 and lenses question

I want to buy a new or used set up. Did photography for about 4 years on a daily basis but about 10-15 years back all on manual Nikon's. Not sure if I even need to get back to a manual camera, but would like to have the option if I remember how to use them. Not sure if its like riding a bicycle and Ill pick up where I left off??

I do a lot of travel so mainly travel pics, but also attend alot of sports functions for my nieces and nephews so a faster camera would be nice as well.

Anyone have or play with these 3 models or something else in this range? I also want to recored videos as well, HD would be nice.

Are Tamron lenses ok? The cost on these compared to Nikon or Canon lenses seems really cheap. Thinking about a body, with 2 lenses, not sure which ones, but would like a decent range, flash and tripod.

Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Would like to get in the next few days.

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:59 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by chanp
I want to buy a new or used set up. Did photography for about 4 years on a daily basis but about 10-15 years back all on manual Nikon's. Not sure if I even need to get back to a manual camera, but would like to have the option if I remember how to use them. Not sure if its like riding a bicycle and Ill pick up where I left off??

I do a lot of travel so mainly travel pics, but also attend alot of sports functions for my nieces and nephews so a faster camera would be nice as well.

Anyone have or play with these 3 models or something else in this range? I also want to recored videos as well, HD would be nice.

Are Tamron lenses ok? The cost on these compared to Nikon or Canon lenses seems really cheap. Thinking about a body, with 2 lenses, not sure which ones, but would like a decent range, flash and tripod.

Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Would like to get in the next few days.

Thanks!
I don't own all experience any of the models above but based on you want to record video, the new T4i combined with their new STM lenses allow continuous AF while shooting video. This could be a big step forward when shooting video compare with previous models (even 5d3 won't support it ).

Control wise, I like the 60D dial just like all the Canon EOS professional models maybe you might want to wait until it replacement which supposed to be out later this year.

Last edited by mobilebucky; Jul 31, 2012 at 5:04 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I don't own all experience any of the models above but based on you want to record video, the new T4i combined with their new STM lenses allow continuous AF while shooting video. This could be a big step forward when shooting video compare with previous models (even 5d3 won't support it ).

Control wise, I like the 60D dial just like all the Canon EOS professional models maybe you might want to wait until it replacement which supposed to be out later this year.
Is there anything with the new t4i recording capabilities that canon has that is more in the professional range? Or do I have to wait for the 60D replacement?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:31 pm

Is there anything with the new t4i recording capabilities that canon has that is more in the professional range? Or do I have to wait for the 60D replacement?
As far as I know the continuous AF in video mode, T4i is the first for canon HDSLR. I would assumed subsequent bodies will have this feature as standard.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...

Thanks!
A common rule of thumb is to invest less in the body and more on the lenses, as bodies tend to get outdated much faster.

In your position, I'd set a bugdet, get the least expensive body of the bunch (they are all ver capable cameras) and the best lenses that would fit in the budget. I.e. I'd say go with the T4i.

As for Tamron lenses (or Sigma or Tokina), they are typically somewhat less expensive than Nikon or Canon lenses, but usually for a reason. They are not bad, but in most cases Canon or Nikon glass is better.

Since you mention sports as one interest, I'd say you might want to get a fast 70-200 mm zoom lens as one of your lenses. If your budget does not stretch to the superb 70-200 mm f2.8 L, consider the slightly slower f4 L lens.

And do get a fast 35 mm or 50 mm prime. They are a joy to shoot with.

Cheers,
T.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:38 am
Original Poster

I'll have a look. Prob get a t4i kit and maybe a couple of L lenses. Any flash recommendations ? Budget about $3k

Originally Posted by Thalassa
A common rule of thumb is to invest less in the body and more on the lenses, as bodies tend to get outdated much faster.

In your position, I'd set a bugdet, get the least expensive body of the bunch (they are all ver capable cameras) and the best lenses that would fit in the budget. I.e. I'd say go with the T4i.

As for Tamron lenses (or Sigma or Tokina), they are typically somewhat less expensive than Nikon or Canon lenses, but usually for a reason. They are not bad, but in most cases Canon or Nikon glass is better.

Since you mention sports as one interest, I'd say you might want to get a fast 70-200 mm zoom lens as one of your lenses. If your budget does not stretch to the superb 70-200 mm f2.8 L, consider the slightly slower f4 L lens.

Cheers,
T.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Besides price diff, what's the diff between the 70-200 f2.8 usm vs is ii usm? Also, amy recommendation for a anti shaking/vibration lenses for video recording?

Originally Posted by Thalassa

Cheers,
T.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
I'll have a look. Prob get a t4i kit and maybe a couple of L lenses. Any flash recommendations ? Budget about $3k
Being a Nikon guy, I am stepping on thin ice here. But since you are into video, the Canon Speedlite 320EX might be worth a look.

I don't know enough about the different flavours of the 70-200 mm f2.8 L lenses to give a meaningful answer to the other question. Hopefully some of the resident Canon experts can answer that one.

Cheers,
T.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The current Canon 70-200/2.8L lenses include the non-IS and the IS II. The 1st gen IS is out of production. The IS II is the sharpest of all Canon 70-200 lenses and of course has latest IS, but also the most expensive, eating up most of your $3,000 budget.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan
The current Canon 70-200/2.8L lenses include the non-IS and the IS II. The 1st gen IS is out of production. The IS II is the sharpest of all Canon 70-200 lenses and of course has latest IS, but also the most expensive, eating up most of your $3,000 budget.
That lens is around 2300, so yes that would eat most of my budget. Im not going to make money off any of my shooting, so is there a Tamron that you would recommend or is it not even in the same ballpark in term of picture quality? Also, do all these lenses have image stabilization as I want to shoot video with the lenses as well. Flash recommendations? I went to a local shop this morning, the guy there said they dont have the T4i in stock as they were recalled. Any info on that??
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: most of them
I shoot a lot of soccer with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 with a D7000. It's a nice lens for less than $1000. In daylight it is great. Under lights it still does pretty well with the ISO bumped up a bit but I think that would be the case with any maker's lens. I sit next to a guy at our local professional soccer club matches who shoots this same lens with his Canon DSLR and gets good results.

For general and travel shooting I also like the Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens. Very light and small lens so it is easy to carry around. I think it's about $600 or less these days.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I shoot a lot of soccer with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 with a D7000. It's a nice lens for less than $1000. In daylight it is great. Under lights it still does pretty well with the ISO bumped up a bit but I think that would be the case with any maker's lens. I sit next to a guy at our local professional soccer club matches who shoots this same lens with his Canon DSLR and gets good results.

For general and travel shooting I also like the Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens. Very light and small lens so it is easy to carry around. I think it's about $600 or less these days.
Thanks for the recommendations. I just about to order the t4i with a 18-55 or 18-135kit then pulling my hair out on deciding between L series or Tamron lenses.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Another question. The 4i kit comes with the 18-55 EF-S IS II or the 18-135 EF-S IS STM lens. Is the STM the only lens that auto focus's during recording or will both do it. I was leaning towards teh 18-55 as I wanted a 70-200 +.

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:54 pm

Another question. The 4i kit comes with the 18-55 EF-S IS II or the 18-135 EF-S IS STM lens. Is the STM the only lens that auto focus's during recording or will both do it. I was leaning towards teh 18-55 as I wanted a 70-200 +.

Thanks
STM is the only one do AF during recording. STM gives you smoother autofocus which is good for video. USM gives you fast AF which is good for still photography. I read the 100 L hybrids IS macro also great for handheld video shooting, but may be a bit long for 1.6 sensor.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
STM is the only one do AF during recording. STM gives you smoother autofocus which is good for video. USM gives you fast AF which is good for still photography. I read the 100 L hybrids IS macro also great for handheld video shooting, but may be a bit long for 1.6 sensor.
I did the STM. Thanks everyone. Now looking for a flash, will order a prime or macro and a 70-200 of some sort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.