Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

new canon EOS for wife

new canon EOS for wife

Old Nov 13, 2011, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

new canon EOS for wife

a year ago i got her a 400 mm L(non is), i just got her a beautiful 600 mm L(non is). the new 35-40 lb tripod is on the way. she shoots wild life at about 100-300 feet. she is currently using a canon T1, which i would like to upgrade. no need for high speed video, i don't think. we move up to a 60D or a 7D, which for some strange reason seem to be available on the street for the same price. then we get to a 5D mk II which is the start of real money(at least to me).

although she is not shooting now(no wildlife), activity will start with the geese and the foxes in dec, tnen the bluebirds in feb. she shoots over 1000 images a year.

all advice please.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
This one is easy to answer. For wildlife, definitely 7D. Fastest and best autofocus, and most frames per second, other than a 1-series EOS.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
X2 for 7D, she is what crop bodies are made for.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: nobody
7d for new or used 1d3
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:40 pm

I'd seriously consider a 1d3 or even a 1ds2 before looking at a new 7D.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

does a 5DmkII fit into that mix anywhere? there are so many with small number changes and the same basic specs i cannot tellone as better than the other.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:02 pm

Perhaps, and when the MkIII comes out soon, I bet the prices of the current model will plummet.

The problem is that her 600 mm lens is just that on the 5D, where it's equivalent to a 960mm when mounted on a crop sensor body. That's a lot of reach she will be giving up
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
does a 5DmkII fit into that mix anywhere? there are so many with small number changes and the same basic specs i cannot tellone as better than the other.
No, because the 5D (I and II) are not built for sport or wildlife. That's why they make the 7D.

Same reason why they used to make separate 1D and 1Ds series, until the new 1D X. Maybe for the next generation, they'll unite the 5D and 7D series like they did with the 1.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: UA-1P
Full frame

The 5D Mark II is just superb, and in a different league from the crop-sensor cameras. It can handle any kind of photography, in my opinion (speaking as an ex-pro who worked on diverse stuff). It's really quite fairly priced at the moment. I picked one up last month from Amazon.com for about $2400, no sales tax. My only regret is not buying one years ago.

Last edited by Sockgap; Nov 17, 2011 at 12:59 am
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Sockgap
The 5D Mark II ... ... can handle any kind of photography, ...
With that 3.9 fps continuous shooting speed, I think a lot of folks would disagree with you. The 5DMII IS a superb camera and used by many top pros - just not for sports or bird (or really any wildlife) shooting.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I love my 7D. It is really fast (even while shooting RAW) and the picture quality is superb.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

what is a crop body? like on a 7d?
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:07 pm

By crop body they mean that the camera has a censor that is smaller than 35mm equivalent. In the case of the 7D (and the non-pro Canons) the effective crop--or magnification factor, if you will--is 1.6 times. Thus, a 100mm lens on a 7D produces essentially the same image as a 160mm lens on a full frame camera like 5D.

Great for people who want to get "closer to the action"; bad for people like me who want to get back from it to photograph buildings and landscapes in very wide shots.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:57 pm

Right, imagine the image circle projected by the lens is significantly larger than the sensor so the camera only "sees" the central part. It has basically the same effect as "cropping" the image.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointPirate
Great for people who want to get "closer to the action"; bad for people like me who want to get back from it to photograph buildings and landscapes in very wide shots.
Nothing bad who wants the wider shots. Just need to get an appropriate lens. Well, unless you cannot find a good enough quality (or specific-featured) lens that wide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.