Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Old Jun 16, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What about stitching multiple shots, even handheld shots, vs. carrying a heavy, big, expensive ultra wideangle?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
As an update, earlier I asked about the Canon 10-18mm wide angle. Well, I ended up going with the slightly older 15-85mm. It was certainly a little pricier (got a used one from B&H for <$500) and should allow me to travel with the single lens.
I love my 15-85mm. I don't use it a lot anymore when traveling (the weight difference between T3i + 15-85mm vs. 6D + 24-105L isn't enough to favor the former, vs. the M3 + 10-22 + 18-55) but near home it is great with either the T3i body or the M3 (+ adapter) -- probably the best overall non-L zoom lens I own.

I've also been playing with the Tamron 18-200VC. Really slow focusing with the M3, but it's very inexpensive, very light for the zoom range, and for an all-plastic lens seems relatively sturdy.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by klevin99
I have the canon 10-22. I can tell you there's a world of difference between 10mm and 15mm, not to mention the image differences. Of course all WA lenses have noticeable distortion but it can be easily cleaned up in post processing. I agree though that one lens instead of two is a big plus. m
This was certainly one of my concerns. But, from a practical standpoint, I asked myself how often I'm taking a picture and wishing I had the ability to shoot between 10-15...

The 15-85 allows me to replace the kit lens with something with much better optics and allows me to expand a bit on the wider end. The 10-22 is a bit out of my price range for how often I'd see myself using it. But the 10-18 is dirt cheap so as I learn the 15-85 I may go out and get the 10-18 anyways if I can get a good deal on it and find myself wishing I had some more room on the wide end.

But yes, one lens is most certainly going to be easier. I'll be giving it a round of testing this weekend in Chicago!
Old Jun 27, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL,Marriott,Hilton, Avis, SPG
I'm a Fuji guy. I used Nikon and Leica throughout my 36 year career in photography but when I retired I went to the Fuji X system and have been very happy with it. We just got home from a month in Ireland. My wife is also a photographer so we had 4 XT1 bodies, 1 X Pro 1 body, 9 lenses including a 50's vintage 85mm Steinheil Culminar that I love for flower pictures and a Sony RX1 that I use for a point and shoot.
Here's a link to the gallery with the Facebook pictures that I posted during the trip. Hope this isn't a no-no. If it is, I'll delete the link.http://www.ryboltcox.com/Ireland-2016/
Old Aug 17, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've decided to finally replace my eleven-year-old Rebel XT. Ordered a T6s this morning.

Of course, now I'm having buyer's remorse and wondering if I wouldn't be better off returning it for the SL1 and using the difference to buy another lens (maybe the 10-22mm or 17-85mm).
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:28 am

I recently bought Canon EOS Rebel T5. It's amazing and can capture some amazing shots.
Good on video recording too.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Of course, now I'm having buyer's remorse and wondering if I wouldn't be better off returning it for the SL1 and using the difference to buy another lens (maybe the 10-22mm or 17-85mm).
The SL1 is pretty dated now, but boy is the compactness nice...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Mostly I use Sony HX90V Camera. It is the best for traveling and capture the beauty of the nature. The image view is looking awesome and best for the travelers. the image:
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Mostly I use the Sony HX90V. It is the best camera for the travelers to capture the beauty of the nature. It is really cool and perfect for the travelers.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:04 am

Sony HX90V is really a best camera for travelers. I also used that for a year and had great results. it was so much amazing and i can capture really nice and clear views of the places. So i think should go with it. if you never tried it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I decided to get back into photography this year after quite some time jumbling around with a few point-and-shoots and then finally getting sick of cell phone results. The last "real" camera I had was a Nikon N75...Still a great, cheap little system, but of course 35mm is just getting more and more expensive to deal with. And, having a trip to NZ on the books was extra motivation.

Looked around here and all the photography websites and stuff and landed on the Fuji X-T10. Grabbed one off Adorama with the XC kit lens. I played with the XF in a store and while it's certainly a better lens, I couldn't discern enough of a difference to justify the cost. Plus the XC was slightly lighter and gave me a slightly wider focal length at the bottom end.

Three weeks and 2,600 frames later, and holy crap this is a great little travel rig. No, it's not as compact as some of the other fixed-lens systems out there, but I also wanted something I could grow into and be excited to use at home, too. The manual/physical controls are excellent and easy to get used to, and for me we're a great way to transition from such an old system in the Nikon. The EVF placement and function also helps with a transition from SLR. And the total size/form factor can't be beat. I had no issue tossing this over a shoulder and hiking around with it for hours at a time, day after day. Grabbed a $10 fitted neoprene case off Amazon and could bounce it around in my daypack without a thought. The dedicated physical switch to full auto mode was also nice when, for example, handing the camera off to a tour guide so me and Mrs. Lee could jump in a photo together.

The payoff, the photos, are incredible. I'm of course spoilt already being able to see results right after I shoot (and then adjust as necessary), but even with my feeble skills I was able to get some truly nice frame out of this. JPG conversion seems way better than a few other cameras I'd tried out (namely a couple Rebel varieties my friends let me borrow, and a newer Sony fixed lens), and I was able to use the majority of my photos without any post at all.

End of day, quite happy with the purchase, and still excited anytime I have an opportunity to snap some pictures with it. It does add just a tiny bit of bulk to some of the other options mentioned here, but is still far smaller than any standard DSLR, travels very well for my purposes, and IMO the size difference is a small tradeoff for the PQ and versatility you get in return.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Still the a7r and the nicer 'kit lens'. For ease of use, travel size AND picture quality(it's over the top) it is the best currently. Obviously the Mark 2 versions are even better. I don't need to carry around my Canon 1Dx's and all the lenses. Just take 1 camera and 1 lens. Light. Easy to use. It also is MUCH easier to do street photography. If you pull out a huge came and lens people feel uncomfortable. When you have what looks like a point and shoot... no one cares.

And if I really want to get frisky can mount any of my Canon glass on it. The 400 f/2.8L IS looks hilarious on it!

_DSC3284 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

_DSC3245 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr

_DSC3049 by Halston Pitman | MotorSportMedia, on Flickr
Old Sep 22, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Still the a7r and the nicer 'kit lens'. For ease of use, travel size AND picture quality(it's over the top) it is the best currently. Obviously the Mark 2 versions are even better. I don't need to carry around my Canon 1Dx's and all the lenses. Just take 1 camera and 1 lens. Light. Easy to use. It also is MUCH easier to do street photography. If you pull out a huge came and lens people feel uncomfortable. When you have what looks like a point and shoot... no one cares.

And if I really want to get frisky can mount any of my Canon glass on it. The 400 f/2.8L IS looks hilarious on it!
Great photos!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:40 am

I've been carrying the Canon 70d for some time. I use it with the 24-105 f/4, 50mm f/1.4, and the 28mm f/2.8. It's a heavy load to carry, but it fits comfortably in a carry on and takes great pictures! It's also very durable, and cheap for the quality.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:43 pm

My Canon EOS 60D is great! I use it to capture scenes from the places I visit. It's really a reliable travel camera, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.