Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Old Oct 31, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
I'm the resident MICRO four-thirds guy ... your "little" lenses are HUGE to me!

I carry a body and 5 lenses (3 primes, 2 zooms, 16-400 equivalent focal length coverage) in the bottom half of a Tenba mini-messenger. One of these days, I'm going to stop at a camera store and see what I could fit in the same space using DSLR equipment.

Note: the above picture is a little old and missing the 8mm fisheye, but its smaller than the 45mm prime in the middle left.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I went from travelling with Digital SLR (Canon 1D3 or 5D2) to Micro 4/3rds (Olympus PEN E-P1 or Panasonic GF-1) to a Canon S100 (just got it last week - maiden voyage next week). What drew me to the S100 is the built-in GPS and the auto-logging capabilities. I've already found that the GPS auto-log will zero out the battery in ~24 hours, so a few extra batteries will be needed but if you only use the GPS to tag photos on location (vs always-on for logging your travel), it should last much longer. I really enjoy knowing exactly where my photos were taken and have been waiting for Canon to implement GPS in their cameras natively for a while ^
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:41 am

I have a Canon 60D that I take with me, along with a backpack to hold the camera and lenses in there. It can be converted to a normal backpack as well, so quite good.

I also have the Panasonic waterproof camera. Have taken some awesome videos with that one. Example..some crazy jetski riding that resulted in the driver and passenger (and camera) falling into the water. One of the greatest videos.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by PDPhoto
Ultimately, the most important part of photography is the vision and imagination of the person pressing the shutter, good equipment helps, but is not the defining factor.
Agree. Give me a crappy camera and a no talent photographer a good camera - I'll come back with the good pictures.

Cameraphone for me, and MAYBE a small DSLR. Nokia N8 will take the majority of my pictures. For an actual photoshoot (portrait), I'd need a DSLR, but for tourist pics? Nope..
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:39 am

I love seeing all of this camera talk! I have recent become interested in getting a nicer camera---all I have is a point and shoot at the moment. However, I am a little hesitant because I'm wondering how easy or difficult these models are to travel with?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by InternationalTrvlr120
I love seeing all of this camera talk! I have recent become interested in getting a nicer camera---all I have is a point and shoot at the moment. However, I am a little hesitant because I'm wondering how easy or difficult these models are to travel with?
That's really a personal thing. It's up to what you want out of your tools and what you're willing to carry and deal with. Up until now, I've always traveled with a bag that's the maximum carry-on size allowed by US carriers. It always has two large DSLR bodies and 6-7 lenses plus a flash and a bunch of accessories. Some people only want to deal with a P&S that will fit in the pocket of their pants. A lot of it gets down to what you find acceptable in the end result, your images.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by InternationalTrvlr120
What do you mean by "nicer"?

How do you output the images? (Print - what size? Just computer screen? iPad?)

How much do you want to spend? How much are you willing to carry?

There is a spectrum between portability, image quailty, and price. Generally, a larger camera with specific lenses is going to have better image quality. Personally, I think the "new" mirrorless cameras like micro four thirds (Panasonic, Olympus), and Nikon 1 strike the best balance, as they are 90% of the image quality of a DSLR with about 50% of the space/weight.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:55 pm

Since most of my trips involve airport spotting;I pack my Canon T2i with my 100-400L and my 18-200 IS in my carry-on wrapped in bubble wrap. I borrow mom's P&S Canon for quick shots enroute.^
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: Skywards
Canon 550D + iPhone 4S
Old Nov 23, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
For any family vacation trips I bring my Canon T1i, and 2 extra lenses, a 50mm 1.4, and a 55-250 lens.

For business trips, just my cell phone camera.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: *G
Canon S90. im a casual enthusiast - dont need to shoot in RAW, dont need a collection of lenses.

very impressed by modern cell phone cameras, but theyre still not there yet. ill take it on business trips for quick snaps. but i need a discrete camera for battery life, low light performance, range of adjustments, and optics....
Old Nov 24, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I have several Canon Poweshots. Since 2008 i had a Canon PowerShotSD950 IS and have taken amazing pictures with it. I also have a Powershot ELPH 500 HS, but hardly ever use it. I still love my titanium SD950IS. Nevertheless, what i am currently even using for travels is my D7000.

My old D50 with my speedlight SB 600 flash

Last edited by mvtm; Nov 24, 2011 at 5:16 pm
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:04 pm

I have a Canon DSLR + a 50mm f/1.4 lens (the only lens I really use), however I have gotten lazy and tired and I don't feel like lugging it around too often. At this point, my setup is really my iPhone 4 and a Canon P+S.

The S95 is amazing, but the limited optical zoom makes it a no-go for me. I have chosen the Canon SX230 HS since it offers most of the features but with a 14x optical zoom. Downside is that it only goes to f/3.1, but I can live with that. Also, the HD recording on this is great!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by mvtm
I have several Canon Poweshots. Since 2008 i had a Canon PowerShotSD950 IS and have taken amazing pictures with it. I also have a Powershot ELPH 500 HS, but hardly ever use it. I still love my titanium SD950IS. Nevertheless, what i am currently even using for travels is my D7000.

My old D50 with my speedlight SB 600 flash

Nice shots! What glass is that in the last pic?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Nice shots! What glass is that in the last pic?
A 18-50mm Sigma. f.2.8

Heres the link :

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/18-50...dc-macro-sigma

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.