Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by shuigao
Honestly, the newer breed of smartphone cameras like the iPhone6, Galaxy Note 6, etc are pretty damn good nowadays. Except in low light, limits of the small sensor size I guess.
Just because you've got 15MP doesn't mean that you've actually got the optical resolution of a 15-18MP camera with a larger sensor. (Doesn't typically matter for day to day use, as long as you compose for most of the frame; the biggest loss is ability to crop.)

Also, lack of optical zoom (in most cases) and (for those who care) lack of ability to blur the background.

Last edited by nkedel; May 19, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old May 19, 2015, 10:54 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by shuigao
Honestly, the newer breed of smartphone cameras like the iPhone6, Galaxy Note 6, etc are pretty damn good nowadays. Except in low light, limits of the small sensor size I guess.
Great for snapshots maybe but if I am going someplace where I want to get serious my Canon 5D Mark III and my assortment of lenses/filters comes along. There's no right answer--it's a matter of what you want out of your final product.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I don't think anyone is going to argue that a camera phone is a substitute for a big sensor and really fast glass - I think some of you are missing the point. We know that a camera phone isn't going to be a bokeh monster.

Camera phones are getting better all the time and there are times when I don't want to or cannot carry a big kit.

Have you seen these iPhone 6 shots? Pretty nice - regardless of the gear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...n-mobiles.html
Old May 20, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Camera phones are good enough but if you want quality photos for enlarging, you can't beat a dedicated camera with optical zoom

The Lumia 1020 is ridiculously good for what it is.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
Canon 120. Upgraded from S90.
Great because it is small and fits into my jeans pocket (even with pouch as below). Great mix of features, especially the 24mm (equivalent) wide angle lens (great for street photography).

It is perfect with this camera case:
Amazon Amazon
As tight as it gets, but still room for one spare battery (careful, with a spare battery in the little inner pocket, the camera goes in only one way/orientation). Even with this case, it still slides easily into my jeans front pocket. Or the inner pocket of my suit jacket. Thus, when traveling, the camera is always with me. You can even use the belt loop for an additional carrying option (this is where the camera and case is when I am on a flight - on my belt).

Always take some spare batteries, at least two, they are always in my pants, in a tiny pouch. Weighs almost nothing. Third party batteries, work as well as the originals, and cheap, check on amazon.

Shoot RAW format, and spend a bit of time with a simple RAW editor. The one that comes with Canon cameras is ok. Easy to operate.

I traveled with heavy camera equipment in my past, and multiple lenses. No longer. Rarely do I miss a longer tele lens. 99% of my time I am fine. And the best camera is the one you ALWAYS have with you. The camera is nothing but a tool. The brush does not make the famous painting. It is the artist, with his hands, and eyes.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:05 am

I always used my canon camera when I am in traveling.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:50 am
Suspended

Anyone know when the RX100 Mark4 will be announced?
Old May 27, 2015, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It's been about a year since the Mark 3, which is still being sold at full price.

In fact all the Sony lineup is about a year old.

Maybe there's some photo event coming up?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wco81
It's been about a year since the Mark 3, which is still being sold at full price.

In fact all the Sony lineup is about a year old.

Maybe there's some photo event coming up?
The RX100 have been historically introduced every June. Hopefully soon.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: most of them
Just spent two weeks in Spain with my Olympus E-M1. Still the "best" camera I have ever used (in terms of ease of use and quality output for the size) and my favorite travel companion.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, DL Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Any thoughts on the Nikon D3300?

I'm just starting to explore photography beyond a smartphone and my Nikon D3300 is being shipped this week.

In August, I'm on a Baltic cruise and wonder if I should just take the kit lens or also the 55-200mm telephoto. I'm thinking both, but don't want to overdo it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by 12Mermaids
In August, I'm on a Baltic cruise and wonder if I should just take the kit lens or also the 55-200mm telephoto. I'm thinking both, but don't want to overdo it.
I wouldn't call two lenses overdoing it, and if it's anything like the Canon one, the 55-200mm telephoto should be pretty light.

If you truly only want to bring one, bring the wider kit lens, but I'd bring both (you can always lock up the 55-200mm in a suitcase when not in use.)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Best advice is to spend a lot of time between receiving your new camera and that nice trip just getting to know the camera. Take a lot of pictures, even if just in your back yard or neighborhood. The idea is to become familiar with the camera, its idiosyncrasies, capabilities and controls so that when it really matters you don't have to think about it. Or worse, need to refer to the owner's manual every few minutes for how to do some simple adjustment. A Nikon DSLR is a lot more capable camera than a phone or a point-and-shoot but also more complicated and demanding. Leaving it in Auto and just using it like a big P&S rather defeats the purpose of buying a nice camera.

I agree with the advice from nkedel that taking both lenses is not "overdoing it." You will want to take most of your "walking around" photos with the basic kit lens but the telephoto will come in handy for taking photos from the ship of shore-side sights and perhaps other vessels and such.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I'm just starting to explore photography beyond a smartphone and my Nikon D3300 is being shipped this week.

Congratulations on starting your DSLR with Nikon D3300.

Two lens definitely not over doing it.

Enjoy your trip and hope you share a few photos with us or do a trip report in the trip report forum!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Just bring both, it's a cruise afterall! You won't need to be hauling it around everywhere anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.