Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by nkedel
re: what I've italicized, such as what?

(Serious question, not facetious: I'm looking at possibly replacing my EOS M with one, but it just looked like it was pretty much the same basic functionality as every other mirrorless camera ... just a good deal on one with faster focus, higher resolution, an eye-level EVF, and a slightly larger variation on the APS-C sensor.)
This info is from reviews, not my own research. I'm still learning about the camera because there really is no comprehensive manual from Sony.

1) Fastest auto-focus of any camera.
2) Register subjects=in a group of people, lock onto and focus on one person. Even if that person leaves the frame and returns, the camera will lock on them.
3) Set shutter to fire when someone smiles in a portrait shot. Amount of smile is programmable, too.
4) Sony apps allow you to remotely shoot from smart phone. I assume other cameras have this.
5) Focus can lock on eyes, not nose.
6) Shoots at up to 11 exposures/sec.
7) Use other brands of lenses with adapter.
8) Intelligent auto mode that senses the subject (person, landscape, etc). Even automatically differentiates between babies and adults to render skin tones.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:02 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm using a Canon SX600 point and shoot these days. Seems to work pretty well for my needs.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am into my third year with Sony RX-100 for business travels. My god, it is a really good point and shoot camera. It replaced my Canon G-12.

Recently bought Nikon D750 and Nikkor 28/300 zoom for personal trips. I still have my Nikon D5100 and lens kit that I plan to pass on to my kids.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by rxgeek
This info is from reviews, not my own research. I'm still learning about the camera because there really is no comprehensive manual from Sony.
Thanks! It's not clear to me that any of those would apply much to me (my 6D has wifi and I've yet have an excuse figure out how to use wifi features or smartphone app) but it's clearly the best value among the APS-C mirrorless cameras. The Fuji X-T series appeals as well, but yowza it's pricy.

Still on the fence since I already have the Canon system, whether I'd be better off importing a Japanese EOS M3 and EVF.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:51 am
Suspended

2) Register subjects=in a group of people, lock onto and focus on one person. Even if that person leaves the frame and returns, the camera will lock on them.
3) Set shutter to fire when someone smiles in a portrait shot. Amount of smile is programmable, too.
4) Sony apps allow you to remotely shoot from smart phone. I assume other cameras have this.
8) Intelligent auto mode that senses the subject (person, landscape, etc). Even automatically differentiates between babies and adults to render skin tones.
#1 is a very complex issue, and while the Sony might excel in some situations, various Nikon and Canon DSLRs will excel in others.

#4-8 are features that many, if not most serious interchangeable lens system cameras can also do.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
It comes down to whether you really want the smaller camera over a DSLR, which will have ultimate image quality.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by wco81
It comes down to whether you really want the smaller camera over a DSLR, which will have ultimate image quality.
What was that in reply to?

Technical image quality ultimately comes down to the quality of the glass and the quality of the sensor (itself mostly a matter of size.) These days, an APS-C DSLR and one of the APS-C mirrorless cameras (Canon, Fuji, Sony) will all have close to identical image sensor quality and the only real difference is the glass.

Plus, Sony does make a mirrorless full frame camera (and there's the super-expensive Leica) both of which will exceed any APS-C camera, at least sensor-wise.

Practical image quality is almost always a matter of the photographer and how they take advantage of the lighting available (or added), and other than noise levels, a really good photographer with an outdated camera that seems "bad" by will usually beat an average photographer with the latest and greatest.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: *G

many of these arent sony-exclusive features, and also they're gimmicky in real life practice
Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
I used to carry a Sony compact point and shoot. But now take all the pictures with my iPhone. It's with me everywhere I go and the picture quality is great.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Another vote for Micro Four Thirds - I use an Olympus E-M10. With the collapsible kit zoom attached (28-84mm equivalent), it barely takes up more space than a typical enthusiast compact.
And if you do need something with more reach (or a wider field of view), there are a large number of native lenses to choose from!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Forgot to add, the Oly doesn't have GPS built in, but you can geotag your photos if you use the Olympus app. Mind you, this also works with third-party software such as GeoSetter - just make sure your camera has the proper time set!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:21 am

beat camera during tour

my best camera during my journey is: Nikon L830 16 MP Point
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Upgraded from the Canon SX600 to the SX610. The difference seems to be well worth the $70.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by nkedel
Practical image quality is almost always a matter of the photographer and how they take advantage of the lighting available (or added), and other than noise levels, a really good photographer with an outdated camera that seems "bad" by will usually beat an average photographer with the latest and greatest.
+1

My niece never carries anything more than a years-old basic digital, but she gets better results than family members with DSLRs or far better P&S cameras.

I've stood side-by-side with her and taken effectively the same shot, but she's got the knack for framing and making tiny adjustments in angles and exposures (about all her basic camera can do). My shot sits on the page and hers comes to life.

There's no substitute for skill.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by chollie
There's no substitute for skill.
No, there isn't. But all the skill in the world won't land you a shot your camera is inherently incapable of taking, which is why it's nice to have good equipment as well. This is especially true for low-light, fast action, or long-range telephoto or very wide-angle photography.

Of course there's also something to be said for learning to shoot well within the limitations of the equipment you have, and learning to be satisfied with the photos you CAN take rather than getting frustrated about missing pictures your current kit can't make. There's a reason why a classic photography training technique is shooting for several weeks using nothing but a "nifty-fifty" lens. The more you learn how to see the way your current camera/lens combo does and the more you learn to be creative within the limitations that combination imposes, the better your photography will become overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.