Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Old Oct 27, 2011, 7:11 pm

My current camera is a Canon 60D. I learned the secret to traveling with my camera is getting the proper bag. I had a HUGE camera bag that didn't travel well. I got a new bag that's a lot slimmer and goes into my carry-on a lot easier.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg
My current camera is a Canon 60D. I learned the secret to traveling with my camera is getting the proper bag. I had a HUGE camera bag that didn't travel well. I got a new bag that's a lot slimmer and goes into my carry-on a lot easier.
Agree 100% on the proper bag being important. No sense in having a huge bag if you're just running out to take some pics of the festival in your town and you'll need more than a small sling if you're going on a one week safari.

What bag did you get? In the next few weeks I am going to be shopping for a messenger bag style bag to help round out my assortment of bags.

Depending on the circumstances, I either take my Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW, Lowepro Stealth Reporter D650, or National Geographic Medium Earth Explorer.

My Nat Geo bag sees a lot of use these days because not only can it store my camera gear but it can also store my other random bits of stuff I need/pack for my carry on luggage. The only "downside" to this bag is that I get people asking me if I work for Nat Geo (I wish!).
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:52 am
Suspended

7805-70, 7801-81
22043-76 24379.1-80
""?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan / Airmiles
I travel with two cameras. My main camera is my Nikon D700 and my secondary camera is a Canon SX50. I do a lot of HDR, so I put the Nikon to good use. It's an amazing camera that has outstanding capabilities. I'm a retired professional TV cameraman.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:00 am

Since I pretty much only travel for vacations now my travel camera of choice is my DSLR which is currently a Nikon D90. I do use my iPhone 4 as a backup occasionally or when I want to be able to geotag a photo later. That said I have to send my D90 in on Monday to get some hot pixels mapped out and I really hope it gets back to me before my flight on 11/16.(hmm. Might have to have it shipped to my friend's house I'll be staying with.) I really want it for my first trip to Vegas but my backup D50 will be a decent fill in if needed.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
Since I pretty much only travel for vacations now my travel camera of choice is my DSLR which is currently a Nikon D90. I do use my iPhone 4 as a backup occasionally or when I want to be able to geotag a photo later. That said I have to send my D90 in on Monday to get some hot pixels mapped out and I really hope it gets back to me before my flight on 11/16.(hmm. Might have to have it shipped to my friend's house I'll be staying with.) I really want it for my first trip to Vegas but my backup D50 will be a decent fill in if needed.
The D50 will provide a nice backup to the D90 (That's my backup of choice for my D90 as well) but be sure you have a good stock of 2 GB SD cards, as the D50 won't work with anything larger - IMHO, the only significant way in which it's really showing it's age.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Canon S95

For its size (small enough to fit in a pocket), it has a large sensor, fast lens, and unusual amount of available adjustment. Takes a little extra getting acquainted if you're used to typical P&S but produces very good photos for the size. Useful belt case available.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It depends.

I prefer to take my Canon 7D and EOS3 bodies, but it's not always practical. Where not practical, it ranges from a small Canon "p&s" to the camera in my Android.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Unless i'm working I just have my Canon S95. When i work I take all my gear since the client is paying.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:31 am

S95 is a great little camera. I am surprised by all it can do.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: FT
My travel camera of choice is the Canon 5D Mark II with 24-105/4L lens. The second lens is the 200/2.8L and the third a 100/2.8 IS Macro if needed. Gives you excellent image quality and reasonable versatility while still not too heavy.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I have two Cameras, I alternate between one of the other or both...
1) Nikon D200, light mode=50/1.4, Sigma 12-24, sb-80 flash, heavy mode= 50/1.4, sigma 12-14, sigma 70-200/2.8, nikon 105 macro (I love this guy!), flash, gitzo tripod with Ultimate Ball Head...
2) Sony (cant quite remember the model number but HD, 200 ish GB) video camera..

If I take to much gear I have to start checking bags, so for "boring trips" I tend to just take the video camera, for more interesting trips I will take more and more gear with the kit in the cabin and clothing et al regulated to the hold...
Old Oct 31, 2011, 8:24 am

I take two (or three if you count my iPhone). My Canon EOS Rebel XSi DSLR and extra zoom lens, has been my faithful companion since I went digital a few years ago - yes, I was a bit late to the digital world. Earlier this year, I got a Canon S95 and love it as well. I travel mostly for pleasure and it's relatively easy to bring both along. However, the camera bag for the DSLR doubles easier for a purse than the S95 case. :-)
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by waveland
My travel camera of choice is the Canon 5D Mark II with 24-105/4L lens. The second lens is the 200/2.8L and the third a 100/2.8 IS Macro if needed. Gives you excellent image quality and reasonable versatility while still not too heavy.
Our definitions of "heavy" must be quite different!
Old Oct 31, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by ~tc~
Our definitions of "heavy" must be quite different!
C'mon a mid-sized DSLR with 1 or 2 (or 3, at most ) litte lenses ain't heavy.

I have to admit that I also own a 100-400 which is indeed somewhat too big and heavy for travelling so I would bring this guy (and possibly a second body) only for a wildlife-oriented trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.