Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
For this trip I carried a pair of D800s, each at 2.2 lbs each (amazon.com data) One was attached to a Sigma 50-500 at 4.3lbs and the other was attached to a Nikon 80-200 / f2.8 at 3.5 lbs. I also had a nikon 16-85 at 1lb in the bag.

In total about 13.2 lbs before spare batteries, cables, bits/pieces. It took up about 3/4s of a normal carry on sized roller trolley.

When I travel with plans only for plane spotting, I usually take the Sigma 50-500 and one body, so about 7 pounds and thats usually takes a 1/4 of my bag.
Those are some impressive shots from the Bigma. I would have guessed that you were shooting with something more akin to the Nikkor 200-400 or 80-400. Although I'm not enamored with the bokeh behind the Cheetah, the subject matter is compelling enough that it's not a big deal.

BTW. I was including the weight of my Tenba Vector bag in that 4.5 pounds. My OM-D E-M1 weighs about a pound, my biggest lens 45-175, along with a front mounted 1.7x Olympus B-300 TC, together weighs about 14 ounces, my other lenses weigh 3-6 ounces each, and another 12 ounces or so for spare batteries, cards and charger. The bag weighs slightly under a pound. I might occasionally take a 2nd body, that's another ~ 1 pound.

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Oct 17, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Those are some impressive shots from the Bigma. I would have guessed that you were shooting with something more akin to the Nikkor 200-400 or 80-400. Although I'm not enamored with the bokeh behind the Cheetah, the subject matter is compelling enough that it's not a big deal.

BTW. I was including the weight of my Tenba Vector bag in that 4.5 pounds. My OM-D E-M1 weighs about a pound, my biggest lens 45-175, along with a front mounted 1.7x Olympus B-300 TC, together weighs about 14 ounces, my other lenses weigh 3-6 ounces each, and another 12 ounces or so for spare batteries, cards and charger. The bag weighs slightly under a pound. I might occasionally take a 2nd body, that's another ~ 1 pound.
I envy the weights you have to deal with!! I'd be screwed if they ever weighed my carry on....

The Bigma has been a favorite of mine. Its an older version, without the stabilization. when I tested both, the stabilization hurt photo quality. and its not heavy to hand hold especially using the tripod bracket as a grip. I used the faster nikon for twilight and night shots. the Bigma tends to get 80% of the work load.

Also for some reason the photos I posted above are more blurred than the originals I posted on my website. Here's a link to where those shots came from (click on each image for original size/quality), the website version has sharper shots for some reason. must be a resizing issue. Even the bokeh improves a bit.

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Oct 17, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:46 pm
Suspended

I envy the weights you have to deal with!!
And I envy the IQ your getting from the D800. But we've all got to choose where we reside on the Bulk vs. IQ continuum. And I consciously chose a sacrifice that I can live with, for gear that weighs between 1/3 and 1/4th what the comparable full frame outfit would and less than 1/2 what the comparable DX outfit would weigh. I used to use Nikon DSLRs. It was after I went on a couple of trips in a row choosing not to bring the Nikon gear in favor of a good point and shoot, that I made the change, and I've not looked back.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
@LF, where was that first leopard post taken? I have what appears to be exactly the same shot from Sabi Sands..about two weeks ago.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
@LF, where was that first leopard post taken? I have what appears to be exactly the same shot from Sabi Sands..about two weeks ago.
We were @ Dulini about 2 weeks ago. which lodge did you stay with? There were a couple of land rovers that came through.....
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
We were @ Dulini about 2 weeks ago. which lodge did you stay with? There were a couple of land rovers that came through.....
lion sands..yep, land rover. I think the shot I have is from the night of the 3rd, October..

I'll post some shots once I cull from the 3000+ of three weeks of shooting. ;-)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
lion sands..yep, land rover. I think the shot I have is from the night of the 3rd, October..

I'll post some shots once I cull from the 3000+ of three weeks of shooting. ;-)
This was October 2, near some out buildings from another lodge. only 3k shots??? I wish I had that to deal with... I think I wound up in the 7000's after a week (but a lot of rapid fire sequences of which most shots will be deleted anyway). It's easy to keep the shutter button down out there.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:23 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
Got a long RTW trip coming up and have been looking for something to replace the heavy and large DLSR.

Picked up the RX100 M3 recently but giving it a test drive it was just too small and also no interchangable lens.

Have the Sony A6000 at the moment which seems a good trade off between size and quality. It's actually got a larger sensor than my DLSR and just feels better in the hand over the RX100.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by yokozuma
Got a long RTW trip coming up and have been looking for something to replace the heavy and large DLSR.

Picked up the RX100 M3 recently but giving it a test drive it was just too small and also no interchangable lens.

Have the Sony A6000 at the moment which seems a good trade off between size and quality. It's actually got a larger sensor than my DLSR and just feels better in the hand over the RX100.
A larger sensor than your DSLR? The Sony has an APS-C sensor, so the only DSLR that comes to mind is a Canon which is just slightly smaller. Is that the case?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:45 am

I have owned a a6000 for about six months and have collected three lenses to use with it. Overall, I am very pleased with the camera. It is much smaller and lighter than a full DSLR yet offers many of the same features. The images it produces are difficult to distinguish from photos shot with a full frame sensor. My only big complaint is that it is very difficult to keep dust from collecting on the sensor when changing lenses. At least in a DLSR, there is a mirror in front of the sensor when the shutter is closed. I hope one of the mirror-less camera manufacturers will add a simple blade type shutter or some type mechanism that will cover the sensor when camera power is turned off.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by makeUturn
I have owned a a6000 for about six months and have collected three lenses to use with it. Overall, I am very pleased with the camera. It is much smaller and lighter than a full DSLR yet offers many of the same features. The images it produces are difficult to distinguish from photos shot with a full frame sensor. My only big complaint is that it is very difficult to keep dust from collecting on the sensor when changing lenses. At least in a DLSR, there is a mirror in front of the sensor when the shutter is closed. I hope one of the mirror-less camera manufacturers will add a simple blade type shutter or some type mechanism that will cover the sensor when camera power is turned off.
the mirror flipping requires lubrication that sometimes splatter onto the sensor. like in nikon's d600 case.

olympus for one has sonic vibration mechanism to shake dust off their mirrorless sensor
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by deniah
the mirror flipping requires lubrication that sometimes splatter onto the sensor. like in nikon's d600 case.

olympus for one has sonic vibration mechanism to shake dust off their mirrorless sensor
The a6000 also has the vibration mechanism, but sometimes the dust sticks to the sensor and the vibration does not remove it. Also, sometimes the vibration winds up just moving the dust to another location on the sensor.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makeUturn
Which three lenses did you settle on? I've also switched from the RX100MK3 to the A6000, and would love some additional lens flexibility.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:59 am
Suspended

I have a Canon S120 at the moment. Love the low weight and versatile zoom length. I had a look at the new Sony DMC-RX100 III and Canon G7X, but feel they are just a bit too heavy and bulky for my taste. Weights need to come down on those two.
For next year however for a possible safari trip, I am considering the Panasonic FZ1000.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Which three lenses did you settle on? I've also switched from the RX100MK3 to the A6000, and would love some additional lens flexibility.
I actually wound up with more lenses than I intended. I have the 16-55mm that came with the kit. I wanted the 50mm SEL50F1.8 prime lens and Best Buy had an open box one for $100.00 off of a sale price that was already marked down $50.00. While I was there, he mentioned he had a no box/no accessory SEL20F2.8 for $50. That is about $250.00 off the standard price and I could not resist. Last week, I found a SEL55210, 55-210mm zoom, no box for less than half the list price and added that to my collection. Bottom line is always ask if there are any open or no box specials. I have bought all three lenses for just a little more than the list price of the 50mm prime lens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.