Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:20 am

Going to be taking my Pentax K-x and Nikon Coolpix S9200 with me on 2013 Europe trip next week. The Nikon has 120fps continuous shooting at VGA res and 7fps at 16MP. The K-x has a Sigma 18-200mm DC f3.5-6.3 lens on it
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:43 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Easy Answer...

My phone & my tablet!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:56 pm
Suspended

you can choose between sony and canon both have excellent camaeras
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
My phone & my tablet!
Phone is OK for a camera in a pinch since most folks always have it with you, but using a tablet as a camera... I don't get it. It's bigger and more inconvenient than an actual camera.

It's like this guy:

Really?

Sorry, grumpy. Had inconsiderate idiots running around with full-size iPads as cameras in my way at two recent events. Using a tablet as a camera doesn't necessarily make one either inconsiderate or an idiot, but it sure seems to correlate.

Originally Posted by mapleexecutivelivery
you can choose between sony and canon both have excellent camaeras
...and both sell some merely OK models, too.

(Ditto Nikon and Panasonic, and several other manufacturers, on both excellent and merely OK models.)
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:23 pm

I go with the m4/3 Panasonic G5, but take my Panasonic GF5 with 14mm pancake lens when I need something portable that I can fit in my pocket.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spaceArookie
I go with the m4/3 Panasonic G5, but take my Panasonic GF5 with 14mm pancake lens when I need something portable that I can fit in my pocket.
^
+1 on the G5. I also bring with me the 14mm with a wide converter that turns it into an 11mm, the 20mm, and 45-175mm zoom.

Most folks would be stunned at the size of the bag that holds that body and 3 lenses (4 if you count the 14 and the wide converter as 2 lenses). If I want a second, more pocketable body, I'll bring an Olympus E-PL3
Old Jul 13, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
While I'm used to traveling and backpacking with full-size DSLR's [Canon t2i or the older Pentax K10D], I've recently become very interested in the Leica DLUX6. Turns out, the Panasonic Lumix LX7 has the 'same guts' for ~$399. Had a look at both today and have now added the Sony RX100 and Fuji X100s to the possible contenders. Amazing innovations in smaller cameras these last few years. Great problem to have [deciding between these fine cameras]. ^

Ming Thein did an excellent comparison of the LX7 and DLUX6.

I'll miss having filter threads on these though. Hard to imagine doing landscape travel photography without a B+W circular polarizer.... Not black + white but the B+W brand from Schneider Optics. Best filters around.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Canon Rebel T2i with a Sigma 18-250 lens and Panasonic TS3. However... I find the Rebel kind of bulky to carry and the TS3's photos of just average quality when not used in the water.

Plus, I do not tend to go back to my photos much. They just kind of sit on my hard drive.

Been trying to minimize my picture taking and restrict it to only the best/most important moments. Also been trying to focus on enjoying things rather than documenting having done something.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Sony RX 100!! I can not express enough how happy I am with this camera. My DSLR has been permanently retired.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:37 pm

I never did understand those compact cameras. If I go somewhere so does my Nikon D300
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
The RX 100 stomps all over every other compact out there, and I have tried the S100 and the Panny that is supposed to be so good.... but they are not even close.

I really got into photography a couple of years ago and I have spent at least 3K on DSLR "stuff" in the past couple of years, not including my 7D body, and the RX 100 is worth more to me than all of it because it is in my purse 100% of the time and can do 96.55% as well in most situations. My DSLR hasn't been out of the closet but once since I finally broke down and bought the RX 100.

If you haven't tried one, you have no idea what you are missing. When it first came out I was like Yea, Right, a compact camera for $650, that will be the day. But, I finally bought one and you couldn't pry it away from me.... for love or money, it really is THAT GOOD!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by docmoney
Canon Rebel T2i with a Sigma 18-250 lens and Panasonic TS3. However... I find the Rebel kind of bulky to carry and the TS3's photos of just average quality when not used in the water.

Plus, I do not tend to go back to my photos much. They just kind of sit on my hard drive.

Been trying to minimize my picture taking and restrict it to only the best/most important moments. Also been trying to focus on enjoying things rather than documenting having done something.
I have the T3 rebel with standard image stabilising lens. I really enjoy using it and have gotten some pro quality photos with it.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
the iphone 5 and pro hdr app is my choice for travel.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My Nikon D800. I wouldn't want to miss out on a good photo opportunity. I do wish that it was lighter and smaller though.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My trusty old D7000 follows me on every trip. I have been considering the iPhone 5 as a good substitute for a compact camera, but perhaps it's better to wait until this fall when Apple release a newer version…

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.