Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Want an upgraded body - 1100D, 1000D, 500D, 30D, 40D or ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum

Title says it all really. I'm in the market for a new EOS body to replace the longstanding 300D, and cannot work out the Canon range at all.

My local camera shop has quite a few body only deals, and the following are all within my budget.

30D - Ł249 - Ł300
500D - Ł339
40D - Ł379
1100D - Ł419

Now, as a stereotypical Scotsman, I'd rather spend less than more, but the range is confusing me somewhat and I'd like a bit of impartial advice before I call them up directly. Is any of these a much better buy, or are there any that are more sensible for me to have ? I use my camera for a mixture of all things - landscapes and people with my 10-22 lens, through to motorsport with a 80-300.

As always, all advice taken gratefully
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Do you have a 'good' landscape lens, e.g. the Canon 17-55 F/2.8 IS or something (somewhat) comparable from Sigma/etc? The lens makes a huge difference and you might go with a cheaper body and good lens(es).
You can still upgrade the body (e.g. to a 60D at some point) but keep the lenses.
I've upgraded from a 300D to a 50D when it became available and never looked back. Even the 500D will be a big upgrade when it comes to speed, LCD clarity and overall usage.
For motorsport you may want to have something that can shoot a few pictures per second so check that number before committing to any body. The feel and viewfinder of the different series 30/40D vs. 500D vs. 1000/1100D are different so make sure you try them out!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Do you have a 'good' landscape lens, e.g. the Canon 17-55 F/2.8 IS or something (somewhat) comparable from Sigma/etc? The lens makes a huge difference and you might go with a cheaper body and good lens(es).
You can still upgrade the body (e.g. to a 60D at some point) but keep the lenses.
I've upgraded from a 300D to a 50D when it became available and never looked back. Even the 500D will be a big upgrade when it comes to speed, LCD clarity and overall usage.
For motorsport you may want to have something that can shoot a few pictures per second so check that number before committing to any body. The feel and viewfinder of the different series 30/40D vs. 500D vs. 1000/1100D are different so make sure you try them out!
Hi, no IS lenses at all, that was next on my list, and might be soon if the budget can be found. Going to safari in africa in OCtober and want to be sorted for then.

In terms of bodies, I guess the lower number of digits (40/50), the better the quality, but the higher the first number, the better the quality as well ? I'm going to have to find a shop and have a good feel aren't I, rather than order it for delivery when I get back from this trip.

OK, so I'll do that. And look at an intermediate lens as well - with IS.

incidentally, for motorsport I shoot a picture at a time, usually for 1/60, and pan the camera to capture the speed as background blur. Not always that successful, but I have a few I'm proud of. First few races I went to, I had tons that were in focus, crisp etc, but the car might well have been standing still, since I shot them all at 1/1000 !
Old Jun 5, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by Macspreader
In terms of bodies, I guess the lower number of digits (40/50), the better the quality, but the higher the first number, the better the quality as well ? I'm going to have to find a shop and have a good feel aren't I, rather than order it for delivery when I get back from this trip.
The number of digits is a good indication:

1 digit: top of the line, full-frame, expensive (e.g 1D, 5D, 7D)
2 digits: 'prosumer', crop sensor (e.g. 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D)
3 digits: consumer (e.g. 300D, 450D, 500D)
4 digits: entry level (e.g. 1000D, 1100D)

The higher the absolute number per series the newer the camera is (the 50D is newer than the 40D etc).

Apparently the entry level cameras are much like the consumer ones but have some features disabled. On the prosumer level I noticed that the 50D has a very good case which won't let dust/sand in. But some people claim that the 40D is a bit better than the 50D. Just google 'Canon 40D vs. 50D vs. 60D' etc.

It your case I'd probably go for the 40D and then spend some money on lenses. If you ever feel that the 40D can't get you what you need you can still upgrade. But from what you say you use the camera for you need a good body.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...
I am a Nikon guy so do take any Canon advise me with a grain of salt, but here goes:

Of the models you mention, I'd probably go for the 500D. It is mechanically not as sturdy as the 40D, but it is about 18 months newer and has a significantly better sensor (both resolution and ISO wise) and a better LCD. The 40D does have a somewhat better AF system and a larger continuous shooting buffer.

Cheers,
T.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The 40D is ancient and 30D belongs to a museum.

1100D is newer, but is really low end. 500D is still old, but is the "best" of the bunch. So, I agree with Thalassa.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
The number of digits is a good indication:

1 digit: top of the line, full-frame, expensive (e.g 1D, 5D, 7D)
2 digits: 'prosumer', crop sensor (e.g. 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D)
3 digits: consumer (e.g. 300D, 450D, 500D)
4 digits: entry level (e.g. 1000D, 1100D)

The higher the absolute number per series the newer the camera is (the 50D is newer than the 40D etc).

Apparently the entry level cameras are much like the consumer ones but have some features disabled. On the prosumer level I noticed that the 50D has a very good case which won't let dust/sand in. But some people claim that the 40D is a bit better than the 50D. Just google 'Canon 40D vs. 50D vs. 60D' etc.

It your case I'd probably go for the 40D and then spend some money on lenses. If you ever feel that the 40D can't get you what you need you can still upgrade. But from what you say you use the camera for you need a good body.
Just a note: the 7D has a crop sensor.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 4:04 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Just a note: the 7D has a crop sensor.
I was about to post the same thing

I went from a 450D to a 7D about 6 months ago and love the thing, I went in to the shop wanting a 5D MkII but came out with the 7D and couldn't be happier with it.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CT-UK
I was about to post the same thing

I went from a 450D to a 7D about 6 months ago and love the thing, I went in to the shop wanting a 5D MkII but came out with the 7D and couldn't be happier with it.
Alas, 7D is a bit over my megre budget for this one. Ordered the 500D on 10 day trial, and might go for a decent IS lens to keep is company.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:56 am

IMO, you're better off spending it on glass or waiting til you have enough for the 7D or even the 60D
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
IMHO the 40D and 30D are very outdated and at those prices not much of a deal; you ought to be able to find a 50D for not much more (and it's a big step up in several ways from the 40D and leagues ahead of the 30D). Yes, they're all steps up from the 300D, but still...! A 50D used in the US can be had for ~$600 or less (a bit less than the price of the 40D you mentioned).

The 500D sounds like the best choice amongst your options; let us know how the trial goes.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
I ran into this a few months ago, and ended up getting a 50D (thanks to the help on this forum - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...anon-dslr.html)

As usual, depends on your requirements. Motorsports seems to be the big thing here - which requires high speed shooting (well if you're shooting RAW all the time, a large buffer helps).

I'd skip the 30D all together - not much going for it.
The 40D is a cracking camera (and I'm on the lookout for a 2nd Hand one at the moment at a reasonable price). The self sensor cleaning is a big win for this model, along with the larger display vs the 20D/30D.
The 50D... It's been an OK relationship - not a love at first sight one (mainly due to the way it can chew through a 16GB CF Card without breathing).

I've always preferred the xxD series (except the 60D) due to the Magnesium body (and I graduated from a 300D to a 20D)

You may find the 500D/550D's frame buffer is large enough for you to work with and the build is to your liking.

Saying that, I still use all three of my DSLR's (20D/40D/50D) in various amounts and situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.