Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best place to sell used photo equipment?

Best place to sell used photo equipment?

Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by icedancer
Got it, thanks! Looks like there's quite a range of winning bids.
Remember that in general
  • people have more money to spend right around pay day, for many the 15th and last day of the month
  • Many offices block access to e-bay so you may have better luck wtih auctions that end on weekends during some normal hour in all the time zones (compare completed auctions to see if that applies)
  • If there's another one ending right after yours, people won't bid as much on yours thinking they can get a chance at the next one
Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP
Thanks for the tips!!

I just got a tentative offer from Adorama for $1400 for the body and lens, but based on what I've seen from eBay, I think I can do considerably better even accounting for the sale fees. Samy's camera offer was just abysmal -- less than $1000 for everything.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:43 am

I just got a tentative offer from Adorama for $1400 for the body and lens, but based on what I've seen from eBay, I think I can do considerably better
I'm guessing you've only had a 'phone estimate? Why not send it in for a full evaluation - we cover the shipping & insurance costs. If the offer doesn't improve you can turn it down, and your gear will be shipped right back to you at our cost.

Drop me an email if I can help at all: [email protected]

BTW please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period.
Our Holiday Schedule:
Adorama NYC Retail Store: The Adorama Retail Store will be closed during the following days:

Yom Kippur: We will close on Friday, September 17, 2010 at 1:00pm and will reopen on Sunday September 19,at 9:30 am
Sukkoth: We will close Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 2:30pm and will reopen on Sunday October 3 at 9:30 am

Adorama phone-sales department
Yom Kippur: Friday, September 17, 9:00am—1:00pm

Thank you for your understanding

Last edited by HelenOster; Sep 16, 2010 at 3:46 am
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Remember that in general
  • people have more money to spend right around pay day, for many the 15th and last day of the month
  • Many offices block access to e-bay so you may have better luck wtih auctions that end on weekends during some normal hour in all the time zones (compare completed auctions to see if that applies)
  • If there's another one ending right after yours, people won't bid as much on yours thinking they can get a chance at the next one
Another thing I was thinking is that Christmas is coming up soon. If I wait until early November to list, perhaps I'll get more people purchasing high-end stuff for the Holidays that they might not have purchased at other times of the year. OTOH, there might be a lot more listings from people with the same idea.

Anyone here sent their equipment to Adorama for a more complete inspection? What were your experiences? I'm skeptical, as based on thorough research of the resale market, I believe I can get at least $1700 on eBay (net of fees), if I strategize well.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:51 am

Anyone here sent their equipment to Adorama for a more complete inspection? What were your experiences? I'm skeptical, as based on thorough research of the resale market, I believe I can get at least $1700 on eBay (net of fees), if I strategize well.
Why not test the water? We can send you a pre-paid label so you can send it in for evaluation at no cost to yourself.
If you aren't comfortable with any offer that is made, we will ship it back, fully insured at our cost.

Email me if you need any further advice.

BTW please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period. Our Holiday Schedule:
Adorama NYC Retail Store: The Adorama Retail Store will be closed during the following days

Yom Kippur: We will close on Friday, September 17, 2010 at 1:00pm and will reopen on Sunday September 19,at 9:30 am
Sukkoth: We will close Wednesday, September 22, 2010 at 2:30pm and will reopen on Sunday October 3 at 9:30 am

Adorama phone-sales department
Yom Kippur: Friday, September 17, 9:00am—1:00pm

Thank you for your understanding
NB I'm only an email away for advice and after-sales support with any order from Adorama Camera: [email protected]
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Well, because 1) I don't want to give up my equipment for as much time as it's likely to take for Adorama to assess the value and 2) because I know that Adorama wants to buy my equipment at a wholesale price and I want to sell it for a retail price
Old Sep 19, 2010, 1:45 am

Well, because 1) I don't want to give up my equipment for as much time as it's likely to take for Adorama to assess the value and 2) because I know that Adorama wants to buy my equipment at a wholesale price and I want to sell it for a retail price
Fair enough; you are absolutely correct. The used department will take around about 30% of the expected re-sale value to cover storage, advertising, repair / cleaning and staff costs. (Usually a smaller percentage if you are looking at a trade-in) - but I guess it's an option for people who don't want to be dealing with a private sale.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 9:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Ancient thread, yes, I know, but it seemed the best based on my quick search...

Anyway, I have been selling off some of my obsolete gear (all of obsolete only because I have bought bigger/better stuff, not because a newer model has come out). I tend to prefer Craigslist due to the lack of fees, and it's worked well for me in the past (heck, even sold my ancient Canon Digital Rebel XT with its crap kit lens for $300 last year!). And I tend to avoid eBay to skip (1) their ridiculous fees & cut; (2) dealing with buyers who want to return a week later and make stuff up about the purchase; (3) the hassle of shipping.

I'm rethinking that after my most recent Craigslist sales, though. I sold my Canon 10-22mm with a B+W slimline circular polarizer. The lens was in fantastic shape, having been sent through CPS for a full service after the last time I used it (a costly service job at that--I had it in Antelope Canyon and it got dust into the lens barrel, meaning CPS charged me ~$200 to replace the whole barrel assembly). I retired it because I switched to the 16-35 a couple of years ago.

I was asking $450 given it retails for ~$600 new, and the B+W filter is another $85, and heck, I paid $200 to get it into tip-top shape. First guy offers me $350; I got him up to $400, but then he's a no-show and asks me to hold it until he gets back from vacation. Next guy offers $100 "because I've got a wedding TODAY to shoot, and I'm poor." Next guy offers $300, then claims "his wife" won't let him spend more than that (well, tough).

Finally, one guy shows, and doesn't even know what a polarizer is. I demoed it for him, and he was amazed. He tried to haggle, saying (1) that the lens was 8 years old (so?), (2) that "his mom" knew all about photography and the lens seemed to have had some rough use (based on him feeling the lettering on the zoom ring, no less--mind you, that had been replaced by Canon). He offered "to come up $5 or 10."

I stayed firm, and finally made the sale.

Sheesh. Come on; do your homework first, and see what you'd pay on Amazon or ebay, and what other Craigslist posters are selling it for!

I may just go with the typical eBay sale next time, inflating the price by 35% or so to account for shipping and eBay fees.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is MSRP relevant to the FMV of a used item (no warranty)?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
I've had good success selling photo equipment on amazon. I like their straight-forward seller experience and fee structure much better than ebay. and I've not had any bad buyers...or bad experiences myself when I've been the buyer. but it's simply my personal preference.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:20 pm

I've never had issues w/ ebay. I do have buyer filters in place so users w/ negative ratings, or other issues cant bid. I always take MANY detailed photos outlining the condition of the item.

The fee's do suck. I tried craigslist but there doesn't seem to be that high of a demand in my area. And camera websites tend to lowball.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Why is MSRP relevant to the FMV of a used item (no warranty)?
Gives you an idea of where to start.

A used good-quality lens (e.g. L series for Canon, a few non-L's like the 10-22 I was selling) in pristine condition, even without warranty, will often go for 75% or more of the MSRP.

I usually check the sold prices of items on eBay, the used prices on Amazon, and current listing prices on Craigslist for the same item to see if I'm in the ballpark. And $450 for a 10-22 with a B+W slimline circular polarizer is a steal.

$100 is an insult.

Acting like coming up $5 on an offer for the same lens is a big concession is also an insult.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:10 am

I sell in a photography forum. One has to be an established forum member to be successful.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
I sell in a photography forum. One has to be an established forum member to be successful.
Hmm, that's a good suggestion and one I hadn't thought of. I am an established & long-time member of a Canon forum; I should be using their buy/sell/trade forum...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:25 am

Another thing I was thinking is that Christmas is coming up soon. If I wait until early November to list, perhaps I'll get more people purchasing high-end stuff for the Holidays that they might not have purchased at other times of the year. OTOH, there might be a lot more listings from people with the same idea.

I wouldn't wait - your equipment will probably only devalue more and newer things come out, and around November / holidays there are so many sales on new equipment people look less at used stuff.

Try posting on Craigslist with the price you want-you may get lucky. Or try posting on eBay with a buy-it-now price you're comfortable with - same reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.