Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

Best places for skyline shots in various cities.

Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DCATravel
Sydney - Taronga Zoo
Not all that good for night shots as the Zoo closes at 5pm. They used to do some nights during summer, but I don't think they have done that for a few years now. Even by day it's a bit obstructed if you're after the city skyline (as opposed to the harbour).

Bradfield Park, just on the North side of the Harbour Bridge is a better option - http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight/

Originally Posted by donnde
Chicago -- Adler Planetarium
Indeed. http://www.docbert.org/ChicagoByNight/
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
From Watson's Bay or some points south of the wharf, there are good views of the skyline and the Harbour Bridge.

Thought about going out there some time at night but I don't think the ferry runs that much after sunset.

The skyline looks better from a distance as most of the individual buildings are kind of drab when you're close.

That said, I got a few night shots from the Circular Quay, from the little crows nest they have at the end of the Overseas terminal.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 1:36 pm
Used to be planetrain

Programs: United, Marriott
Downtown Los Angeles on the roof of the Standard Hotel, right in the middle of the Financial district
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by docbert
Not all that good for night shots as the Zoo closes at 5pm. They used to do some nights during summer, but I don't think they have done that for a few years now. Even by day it's a bit obstructed if you're after the city skyline (as opposed to the harbour).

Bradfield Park, just on the North side of the Harbour Bridge is a better option - http://www.docbert.org/SydneyByNight/
Wow that looks great.

I was wondering how you got that detail without blowing out the closer (and thus brighter) light sources while losing the more distant sources. Then I noticed 169 images. Is that an HDR or just a pano stitch? Or both?

Probably using a zoom and taking all of those shots must have taken some time?

I took some shots from the CQ but it was windy so I was wondering how the long exposures would turn out.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
View from my room at the Mandarin Oriental, Singapore.... One of my favourite hotel views from that particular trip around Asia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sajidgi...8427/lightbox/
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Stuck in go-nowhere traffic heading out to LGA on the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy (278) yesterday, I found the most beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline between exits 27 and 29. You have to be in the left-most lane if you want a good shot.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:06 am

Programs: Ex-HHonors Diamond (now nothing), former AA EXP
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Stuck in go-nowhere traffic heading out to LGA on the Brooklyn-Queens Expwy (278) yesterday, I found the most beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline between exits 27 and 29. You have to be in the left-most lane if you want a good shot.
OK....so, where's the shot? Or are you just teasing us with the location information?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by stu52
OK....so, where's the shot? Or are you just teasing us with the location information?
Just a tease for now. Camera and mobile phone were both in the trunk of my rental car when I happened across this fabulous view.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
On a recent trip to YVR I was hoping to get some night-time skyline pictures. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to find a decent location to take a shot from (Stanley Park was too far away) and came up empty-handed.
Originally Posted by phaleesy
Just occurred to me... the OP's question is still unanswered.

I would like to know where to get those night-time skyline pictures too!

Many thanks.
Lonsdale Quay public market just out front in the square about 2min east of the Ferry ramp. You can connect to the sea bus ferry from the sky train.
In a pinch you can use the piers to rest you camera on but it's best if you take a tripod. You don't need too much zoom from there but it's a large skyline so you will need to stich a couple pictures together. There is a large amount of sodium lighting so you will need to lower the temp of the final pic.

Here is a quick picture I took from there that I haven't retouched yet.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...n/101_0260.jpg
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA
Anyone know any good spots in Miami Beach?

I've been several times, but that was before I was really into photography and never really scouted for locations...
Old Feb 4, 2011, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by arvin charles
Anyone know any good spots in Miami Beach?

I've been several times, but that was before I was really into photography and never really scouted for locations...
The skyline shots here were taken from the Miami Childrens Museum. Sunrise was from the Holiday Inn Miami Beach,
Old Feb 5, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Monte Carlo.

Turning your back to the bus station at Jardin Exotique.

The view from Place du Palais (Palace Square) much frequented by tourists.

Out at sea from a cruise ship, yacht or sailboat.

Old Feb 13, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by donnde
Chicago -- Adler Planetarium
+1

Also from any cruise. I wish this thread had a wikipost feature
Old Feb 15, 2011, 8:48 am

Does anyone have any tips for Tokyo aside from the locations already mentioned? (Roppi / TMGB).

I am considering both the Odaiba Sky wheel and roof of Joypolis to try and get the Rainbow Bridge in.

Also, though not quite a skyline shot I would love to know if there is anywhere I can get a shot of the Shibuya crossing AND the football pitch on the roof of the adjacent building. I can only come up with the Excel hotel but I cannot imagine them letting me into the elevator without a room key and staying is outside of my budget for this trip.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
Never had a chance to see for myself while I was living there, but for Boston I've heard that the Harbor Islands offer a great skyline view.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.