Is there an airline where I can buy a seat for my dog to sit next to me?

Subscribe
I was just wondering, is there an airline or charter where I can buy a seat for my dog to sit next to me? She is a bit too big to go under the seat in a bag. (I already know about Pet Airways but it is for pets only)

I am looking for smaller regularly scheduled charters not usually found via the Expedia & such. Routes will probably be US-Canada, Boston-SF and maybe even NY-FL or NY-Paris.

A while back I did some "googling" and found a site that turned out to be a "rent an entire aircraft all to yourself" rather than a search of regular charters I thought it was. (They advertised NY-London-Singapore so I clicked on it out of morbid curiosity) Turns out that I could rent a 747 through them! Wasn't sure if the price came with a pilot though

Also looked into alternate methods of travel including a transatlantic cruise crossing, but all I've been able to find are cruises where she has to be restricted to the pet deck and the pet boarding area for the entire journey and not allowed in my cabin

Even Amtrak doesn't allow your pet to be in your own private cabin on any route even cross country routes.

Just trying to find an alternative to driving and looking into the possibility of flying with her in-cabin.

After all it wasn't that long ago that Steinbeck flew F with his Standard poodle Charlie and dogs were allowed on transatlantic cruises.
http://www.pettravel.com/airline_rules.cfm

I don't know of an airline that will allow non-service dogs out of their carriers in the passenger cabin. I have seen pets in carriers, but it sounds as if yours is too big for that treatment. The service animals I have seen lie peacefully at their owners' feet and cause no trouble at all, but they never "sit on the seat next to" their owners.

I'm afraid I don't know what a "smaller regularly scheduled charter not usually found on Expedia and such" might be either, especially on longhaul routes such as NYC-Paris. If you are of means, you might consider NetJets: www.netjets.com
Thanks!

I just sent them an email about their pet policy since it isn't on their website. I'm really not comfortable having my dog in Cargo without me. Incidentally, there are a few cargo ships that do take passengers for ocean crossings, and I was also wondering if their were such options for passengers (and their pets) . Plus, the Economy class experience today isn't much different than being an inconvenient piece of cargo, so actually flying in cargo may actually be a step up
pet travel
Did you ever find an airline which would allow your dog with you. I am having the same problem.
Quote: I don't know of an airline that will allow non-service dogs out of their carriers in the passenger cabin.
Last year during the trip home to visit my family at Christmas, on an AE flight I saw someone come on board carrying a puppy - not in the carrier. The FA gushed over the puppy (it was a cute puppy - but what puppy isn't...) I don't know if once they got to their seat if they put the puppy in a carrier for the flight or not.... It's probably AE's policy that they have to be in a carrier for the flight...but at least getting on the flight it wasn't (again it was a very cute puppy and sometimes cuteness can lead to slight bending of the rules....)
If your dog is a service or an emotional support dog yes! I actually found a site on this a few days ago and apparently a service dog is not limited to people who are blind or deaf. It includes many many issues and chronic illnesses such as asthma which I have. Airlines will also take a letter from a licensed mental health worker. Give a google search on emotional support dog and you will find a lot of info on that.
I was on a trans con in biz with a guy with a dog on his lap on AA. Not sure how hepulled that off, but no one questioned it.
Emotional support animals are allowed but you must provide the airline with the appropriate paperwork and documentation explaining the function of your animal. Only small animals are allowed on your lap, all others must fit under the seat in front of you and not impose on your seat mate's space. No animal, regardless of its status or purpose may ever occupy the seat next to you. Any service or support animal must be well behaved or you run the risk of not being able to make the return trip with it in the cabin. People have tried to bring on regular household pets as "service animals" only to have them bark or misbehave badly and then gotten stuck without a ride home or onto their connection so make sure your animal is very docile and used to being in a crowded situation.
Sounds like the OP's best bet would be charter. Good luck!
When a friend moved from HNL to DCA she convinced UA to let her dog fly in the FF cabin as a support dog for her elderly mother. Oh, and the dog was a mastiff. I would have loved to have seen them going through the airport.

I understand they did buy him a ticket, but he laid by the bulkhead.
Quote: After all it wasn't that long ago that Steinbeck flew F with his Standard poodle Charlie and dogs were allowed on transatlantic cruises.
It was probably close to 50 years ago. But I hope you can find some way to get her to travel with you.
I used to have a German Shepherd, before I got him, I did a lot of research online about the air carriers that actually allow pets. As far as I know, Air Canada does, but you have to get a lot paper work, and the enviornment in the cargo isn't comfortable for dogs at all. My friends told me it's too cold.

I missed my dog so much !! He slept in my bedroom every night, and I hope I can take him everywhere I go, but things just don't go as I wish !
Hi, I'm planning a trip and want to take my dog. I've searched for dogs on the seat with you and all I have found is to put your pet under your seat. I have a huge problem with that for many reasons. So I'm looking for an air flight that allows dogs in their carrier in a seat next to their owner. My dog is a small dog and has separation anxiety. She can also be aggressive, but luckily, sedating her, her aggressiveness won't be a problem. The closest I've seen to that was Spirits Airline, but then in the FAQ it said under the seat. So kind of confused on that. If anyone can help, thanks.
Quote: Hi, I'm planning a trip and want to take my dog. I've searched for dogs on the seat with you and all I have found is to put your pet under your seat. I have a huge problem with that for many reasons. So I'm looking for an air flight that allows dogs in their carrier in a seat next to their owner. My dog is a small dog and has separation anxiety. She can also be aggressive, but luckily, sedating her, her aggressiveness won't be a problem. The closest I've seen to that was Spirits Airline, but then in the FAQ it said under the seat. So kind of confused on that. If anyone can help, thanks.
I assume you've read the whole thread. It doesn't look like the original poster (OP) ever found a way for the dog to sit next to him. If your dog is small enough the best option might be to put it under the seat in front of you. If you can document that it is a service animal then it can be out of a carrier, but must be under your feet. It still can't be on the seat next to you. Does your dog have separation anxiety if you leave her at home, or does she have separation anxiety if she is not right next to you?

People have different ideas about sedating animals, even in the cabin. Some say it's OK. Others say that it may cause complications. Most of the concerns are about sedating animals that go as cargo.
There's a story somewhere here on FT about a woman who paid for the entire business-class cabin on a TATL I believe... sounds like a good solution but a bit costly. Not sure if it was the UD on a 747 but that would make sense. She did it for her dog only but if you could only get a few people to join in the cost would amortize better and the dogz could play their way across the ocean

Of course the barking might be heard down on the main deck
Quote: I was just wondering, is there an airline or charter where I can buy a seat for my dog ...
Surely you jest.