Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Share your experence in Traveling with a Pet from USA to UK.

Share your experence in Traveling with a Pet from USA to UK.

Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:09 pm

If cargo ends up being the only option, I will not take the job. Maybe it is a stupid thing to be the deciding factor.
^^
I don't think that's a stupid thing to do at all, I would do the exact same thing. In cargo you have absolutely no control over your pets safety or health and you can't rely on an airline to ensure it either - you can't even be sure that it will be on the flight you put it on - I've heard of animals being bumped to a later or earlier flight because, technically, they are cargo. If its not safe enough for humans, then its not safe enough for a pet. I firmly believe that when you decide to get a pet then you are agreeing to take on the responsibility to care for that animal as best you can for the rest of its life. In this case I think this means that your first responsibly has to be ensure that your dog is able to travel safely and if you can't then you have to accept that you are not going to be able to take the job without making some other arrangement for your pet.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
If it helps to have another shared experience, I have brought my dogs back and forth from BOS to LHR a number of times on BA World Cargo and the service has always been extremely good. Since both dogs are originally from the US, it did take a year or two to get the paperwork and PETS scheme documents completed, but I got them EU Pet Passports the first time they were in the UK and now it's pretty easy.

My tips would be to just make sure that you really, really read all of the documentation and make sure you get absolutely every single detail completely correct. It is a painstaking process but once you get to the UK you will be very happy when everything goes without a hitch.

The Animal Reception Centre at LHR is extremely professional and well-run. There is a sophisticated, purpose-built building a little ways from the airport with a dedicated staff to take care of arriving animals (see link below). It looks like they have plenty of grass and room to run around and the staff are extremely nice. There is also a veterinary surgery on site for emergencies involving animals in transit, and a number of fully-qualified veterinarians on staff.

I wouldn't pay an agent to collect your pets at Heathrow because it's really very simple, as long as you have access to a car. It took about five minutes from when I arrived at the animal facility to when they brought my dogs out. If you want to come over at the same time as your pets, you will have just enough time to get off the plane, rent a car and maybe have a meal before you get the call that your pet is ready to be collected. The timing works very well. Also, if you are moving permanently and don't want to deal with the pet carriers (which can be extremely large), you can leave them at the arrivals facility to be donated to a pet charity.

Leaving the UK, you go to the somewhat posh (yes, it's actually pretty nice) BA World Cargo facility instead of the animals arrival facility. The staff there are also very nice and they have pictures on the walls of all the exotic animals they have transported over the years -- tigers and whatnot.

I agree that putting dogs in a cargo hold is not very nice, but if you don't have any other option, BA has a very professional service, excellent staff, and treats your pets very well.

Here's a link to the Heathrow Animal Reception Centre:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...ion_centre.htm

Originally Posted by Puppenstein
I am wondering if there is any way around it by traveling to another country and taking a flight from that country like say France for example and not having all the hassles of Cargo. I know that Air France allows dogs of the appropriate size to fly from the U.S. to Paris to fly in cabin. The chunnel doesn't allow dogs, but there has to be some other creative option.
Yes indeed! If you can get yourself to France, then there are two options which do not involve air cargo. You can bring your pet in by car if you drive via the Channel Tunnel, using the car transport service. This is how I plan to get my dogs to and from France next year. You can bring your pet in a car on P&O Ferries, also, or in a handheld carrier if you don't have a car. However, I am pretty sure that the previous posters are correct in that you will not be able to bring your pet into the UK by airline in the cabin, no matter where you are coming from.

And not that this is going to be an option for most people, but if you happen to have a private plane (or know someone who does), you can bring pets into the UK that way also. I have heard stories of people who commute from the US to the UK in their jets with their dog roaming the cabin freely... Must be nice!

Originally Posted by Puppenstein
Do they allow pets in carriers on the public transportation?
Good question. I've seen cats in carriers on the subway. I haven't been able to find anything specific, yes or no, on the Transport for London website, so I would imagine it's fine.

For the benefit of others reading this thread, you can indeed take leashed dogs on the subway, as long as you carry them if you use the escalators (I just use the stairs instead). You can also take leashed dogs on city buses, as long as you check with the driver first. London is generally a very dog-friendly city!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Apr 11, 2010 at 7:49 am
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:45 pm

Thank you so much for the information. My Dad is a pilot, but he has a small plane and it would be an expensive trip for us to go from Atlanta to London, not to mention an incredibly long and somewhat out of the way trip. I think I would go the France route instead of taking him in Cargo if that is an option. Granted, I don't know what the incoming procedure would be once we arrive from France to London - similar to customs maybe? Although I know that many have had great experiences with their pets on Cargo it cannot be an option for my dog. So, it is encouraging to hear that I could bring him from France. That would work out well...maybe I could visit Disneyland Paris first!

Thanks again!
Old May 15, 2010, 12:29 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Boston Terrier to Europe

Puppenstein, If you haven't already gone, I have experience taking my Boston Terrier from SFO to Amsterdam twice. I had no problem either time, I just made sure I had the right certificates. Yet Dutch customs didn't even ask for them. The second time I asked them if they wanted to see documents.
Anyway, the process is easy, allow a couple of days to do the test and get forms.(here's the form in French & English: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...10767r4_fr.pdf) Make sure you go to a vet that knows the proceedure. I use Dr. Lie (pronounced Lee) at Mission Pet Hospital in San Francisco. He's an expert. He may know a vet in the Atlanta area that is knowledgable. Once you have the vet forms filled out you take them to your nearest USDA vet without the animal, usually near the airport in major cities. Their fee is US$35 and all they do is stamp the certificate. Remember that France is the most dog friendly country in the world.
Once in Continental Europe you should get a "Pet Passport" from a licensed vet there. Then its fairly easy to get the dog into the UK. I didn't realize the Eurostar channel train did not allow any pets, but there are lots of ferries. Many Brits take their dogs on holiday to the continent with them by car and certainly return home easily. BTW, Nick Nack has two microchips.
See my dog in Holland at http://chrisandnicknackinholland2009.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by x1achilles; May 15, 2010 at 12:31 am Reason: more info provided
Old May 24, 2010, 12:13 pm

taking dogs to EU/Switzerland is easy

I'm posting here in case someone else comes across this thread. I've taken my dogs to Europe twice, once entering in Switzerland and once in France (and obviously we flew back to the US in between, leaving from Paris). The process is straightforward and just requires a little planning ahead of time. Contact your local USDA office to ask about paperwork requirements. I've used Continental PetSafe and have been delighted with the handling - they also will provide you with details. More importantly, my dogs have done extremely well. (They were 13 the first time, 14 the second time.) Remember, they can lie down and there are no screaming babies in the hold. They travel in a special area at the back of the plane.

Dogs need an EU-compliant chip (yes, they can have 2 - mine do); EU import paperwork; USDA 7001 (both of the former need to be endorsed by your local USDA office no longer than 30 days prior to travel). Continental needs a rabies certificate and a health certificate (the later within 10 days of travel).

Leaving France required a health certificate from a vet, endorsed by the local Ministry of Agriculture and Fishing. No paperwork requirements for US entry; pickup in Newark is at PetSafe in Terminal C (which is also dropoff).

Pickup in Europe requires some logistics, as the animals travel as cargo and therefore arrive at "import" in the cargo zone of the airport. They may need to be inspected by an import vet (Switzerland - yes; France - no); and you will need to pay assorted fees/taxes/customs duties. Don't try this without speaking the language.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:33 am

This has been a very helpful thread for a year now I have been worrying about taking my Boston Terrier and Patterdale Terrier when we emigrate in October this year.

We have out permanent visa for Vancouver BC but I job transfer means we may go to San Fransisco for two years beforehand.

I was hoping to fly with both dogs on Virgin but after sending photos it was confirmed they would not fly her as she was snub nosed

After much research I think we will fly with Continental as they are the only airline I can find that flys direct to SF, takes Boston's and actually publishes it's fatalities over about 15 months Continental had 4 dogs die, 3 of them were autopsied and they died of already existing causes one was a Boston that had breathing problems. The month the Boston died they shipped 8006 animals. This is of course no comfort to the owner of the Boston.

A friend has shipped four Boston's with Continental and has not had a problem.

Another friend brought her Boston back in cabin on Swiss Air from California and flew to France without to many problems although the dog was slightly heavier than allowed.

If anyone is interested the Cunard 2 sails from NYC to Southampton and allows dogs to travel. They have to stay in kennels but you are allowed to visit them in the day. After much thought I believe mine would be better on a flight than 6 days in kennels with not a huge amount of space to run around.

So to conclude if I could fly both my dogs with Virgin I would do that but as I cannot I have decided to go with Continental.
Old May 25, 2010, 8:35 am

Just to add there is no problem at all having dogs on public transport in London. On the tube you must carry them down the escalator and on buses you must sit upstairs (on double deckers). The bus driver does have the right to refuse but it is very unusual and he must have a valid reason.

Trains up and down the country are also fine but Virgin sometimes charge extra.

Hope that helps.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:47 pm

Traveling With Puppy From England To U.S

In a while I'm planning on going to London. My friend is going to give me a French Bulldog puppy, and when I travel back here, the puppys coming with.
So, my questions are, what will I need to bring for it, in order to get past US Border Control? I'm a citizen to the U.S already, so I don't know it that makes a difference. I'm planning on taking them into the airplane with me, is this a good bag? http://www.classypets.com/Merchant5/...ry_Code=PTSCAR
Also will they need any vaccines?
Also will this be of any help??
http://www.classypets.com/Merchant5/...y_Code=PTSFORM

Thank You For Reading!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Hi ashleighhhhh, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

I move my dogs back and forth between the UK and the US about once a year. Going to the US is not very difficult. Here's a good place to start: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...s_states.shtml

If there is any chance at all that you will bring your dog back to the UK (or the EU), then it will make your life much easier if you get your dog an EU Pet Passport before you leave for the USA. Bringing dogs back to the UK is strictly controlled and generally requires quarantine unless your pet follows the rules in the PETS travel scheme: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011002

Also, and this is a long shot, but if you ever plan on bringing your dog to Hawaii, then the EU Pet Passport will help quite a bit.

Good luck!

PS: I think the classypets link above is a waste of money. You can find all that information online very easily.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by BadgerMouse
T

Another friend brought her Boston back in cabin on Swiss Air from California and flew to France without to many problems although the dog was slightly heavier than allowed.
Did they weigh the carrier and allow her over the limit or just let her on through? I have a cat who is a bit, um, heavy (he's just big boned, I swear!! ), and would easily go over the 6kg weight limit, as it includes the carrier, too. But he fits in it just fine and turns around, etc, and it fits under the seat. But if they weighed him, I'd be SOL.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:36 am

It is been a while but flew with my dog over to the UK and back on the PETS scheme. A pain for all the paperwork purposes but worked about pretty well. She was a lab so she had to fly cargo, no other way around it. She made it fine and she was 9 and 11 when traveling. I am not going to say traveling in Cargo was great for her, as I am sure she was scared, but no big affects on her, although when I got to the other end she was sure happy to see me. So flying Cargo well not the best option it is not the end of the world, but then again I had no other choice other than sailing, not really an option, or not taking the job, and even though I am a huge dog lover, I think it is kind of silly to turn down a good opportunity due to a pet possibly having to travel cargo. Just my 2 cents. My views have probably changed a bit since now I have kids and adopted another dog that is really high strung and needy.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:11 pm

Flying pets to the UK in the cabin

Puppenstein - beware

There is some advice on here that is incorrect. Flying pets from the US to Amsterdam and France is not the same as flying them to the UK.

You have to go through the 6-month wait after the rabies blood test before you can enter the uk

You do not if flying to Amsterdam or France.

If you don't have the correct paperwork stating that you have waited 6 months after the rabies blood test then your dog will be placed in quarantine on arrival in the UK and either kept there for 6 months or shipped back to whichever country it came from

You CANNOT fly directly into the UK with your dog in the cabin unless you are flying by CHARTERED private jet - and you have to have chartered the whole plain not just bought a seat.

You CANNOT fly in with your pet in the cabin if the private jet is your own.

You CAN fly to Paris or Amsterdam with your dog in the cabin (the whole package has to weigh less than 8kg usually - depending on the airline - Lufthansa, and Delta both carry pets in the cabin. Then you can drive from Paris or take a train from Paris to Calais - then drive through the eurotunnel.
Dogs are not allowed on eurostar - but your dog must have completed its 6 month period after blood testing.

Hope that helps

Best wishes

petsnaturally

UK Vet
Old Oct 6, 2010, 6:29 pm

So there is absolutely no way around this 6 month waiting period? This is compleltely RIDICULOUS. I come from the US where rabies is pretty much eradicated.....now I have to turn down a 6 month assignment because of this asinine waiting period. Wonderful
Old Oct 6, 2010, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by the3rdman;14t900317
So there is absolutely no way around this 6 month waiting period? This is compleltely RIDICULOUS. I come from the US where rabies is pretty much eradicated.....now I have to turn down a 6 month assignment because of this asinine waiting period. Wonderful
Think there are plenty of dogs that here in the states that could carry rabies. It is a pain but not ridiculous. You could get someone else to look after your pet while you are waiting for the lab result and such. In my experience or line of work. 6 month assignments typically last a lot longer. Also is it really worth the stress on the animal to move them ao far for a 6 month assignment?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by encierro98
Think there are plenty of dogs that here in the states that could carry rabies. It is a pain but not ridiculous. You could get someone else to look after your pet while you are waiting for the lab result and such. In my experience or line of work. 6 month assignments typically last a lot longer. Also is it really worth the stress on the animal to move them ao far for a 6 month assignment?
Not when you have all your vaccinations up to date and recorded by a licensed Vet. Almost impossible. I got bit by a dog in central park last year - i called the police because the owner ran off. The policeman told me that i should maybe worry about tetanus (if i wasnt up to date on my shots) but that because of rabies vaccines a report of rabies from a pet hadnt been recorded in like 40 years or something.

In terms of stress - my dogs will be far more stressed with out us then going through a day ordeal of travel. When we went our my honeymoon our Dane lost 25 pounds in 3 weeks -- and he is a glutton. We've also driven across the country and Canada 3 times with them so Im not worried about that.

Sorry but the regulationss are ridiculous especially when most of the EU doesnt require 6 months AND if you have recorded vaccines. Just another unnecessary bureaucratic step.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.