Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Hotels that allow small/med Dogs but NOT CATS???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:56 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

I recently stayed at the Westin Jersey City (a quickie review in the Starwood thread) and got a shock when I asked what would be the Pet fee if I bring my wonderful Cat Eddie to the hotel...

"Sir, Cats are not allowed at this Westin."

My mouth gaped open and I almost fainted.

I asked why and the front desk person said that housekeeping has an issue with the mess from the litter box. I told him in other hotels I bring a portable littler box with dust bin and brush and a big mat to put under the box (although Eddie is very neat and doesn't dump sand everywhere.)

THey told me dogs WERE allowed if they weighed up to 40 pounds.

I thought an issue would be danter from the Cats but not "messy" Cats!

I never heard of a hotel that would allow some pets but not Cats.

Anyone else run into this situation?

FYI: Eddie was so mad when told he would not enjoy the Heavenly Bed at the Westin that he growled like a dog. I'll have to buy him a Heavenly Pillow as compensation.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You know it never occurred to me (sorry catman), but guess I always think of dogs too when thinking about this hotel/motel allows animals.

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:29 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Well the Westin JC's Experience Manager wrote back saying:

At this time, Westin policy does not allow cats to stay, but I will share your comments with our corporate offices.

I truly understand how you feel; my son & I would love to travel with our pet rabbit, Rodney but hotels do not allow them.

Eddie will not be pleased.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Catman, please don't flame me but perhaps they are afraid of cats scratching the furniture.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Catman, please don't flame me but perhaps they are afraid of cats scratching the furniture.
Isn't that what pet deposits (of the $$$ kind ) and damage charges are for? To compensate the hotel for needing to deal with any damage caused by the pet?

Strikes me as some individual at that hotel chain doesn't like cats, and has the power to make the rules. If the rules were based on which animal is more likely to cause harm to other guests, they wouldn't let dogs near the place, so fear of liability doesn't seem the most likely cause for the rule. Dogs not only bite, dog allergy reactions cause more deaths than cat allergy on a consistent basis. (found that info in a Lung Association flyer)
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:17 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

RSS... I would NEVER flame a fellow Pet Parent. Several of my clients said the same thing. (although Eddie is good about using his scratching posts.)

It's just disappointing. I would like to know if all Westins have the NO Cat policy.

(One client said Eddie could stay at the W Hoboken but I can't afford those rates!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.