Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 11, 09, 3:29 pm   #1

are dogs allowed to walk around in airports?

As the topic states, are dogs allowed to be outside of their kennel/carrier inside of airports (leashed of course)? I checked a few airport websites and couldn't find a clean answer. I very often see dogs walking around leashed with their owners in the airports, but I also recall an incident in an airport where the airport staff told somebody their dog must be inside the kennel/carrier at all times.

Does anyone know an answer to this?
abstracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 09, 8:26 pm   #2

It really depends on the rules of the airport and whether those rules are enforced. When I flew with my Yorkie through STL and LAS, he was rarely in his carrier. In LAS, he walked on leash even on the tram to the D gates and I would carry him in the fast food restaurants (I always asked and never took him into a restaurant) and was never questioned. STL was never a problem. EWR was always a problem. I had some air crew literally yell at me and another couple with a dog on leash to put the dogs in the carriers. They weren't just enforcing rules (what exactly does air crew have to do with airport regulations?), they were extremely nasty about it. I always sat with him on leash in a waiting area away from people and no one said anything about that and most people were just wanting to pet him.

I checked the website http://www.ifly.com which lists all major airports and it appears that all the airports I checked required pets in carriers so it really depends on the enforcement.

Of course, none of these rules applies to service dogs.
jennj99738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 09, 7:24 am   #3

Right, it seems like almost every airport carrys the "pets must be in carrier at all times" rule, but don't enforce it. They just have it in case they want to enforce it on certain dogs/peope.
abstracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 09, 9:59 am   #4
nam

Programs: Delta Gold
Thanks for the web site. I always travel with my dog and this site will make it easier.
nam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 09, 3:17 am   #5

There are also different rules for emotional support and service animals. They tend to have much more leeway. You may need to check with your carrier and also the local airport regulations.
skylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 09, 12:54 pm   #6

Don't even bother trying at LAX terminal 4 (AA) for departures, but they don't care what you do once you hit baggage claim.

JFK terminal 8 (AA) not only lets dogs on leashes everywhere, but employees tend to come over and say hi.
osmodion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 09, 12:40 am   #7

My BF brings our dog to the arrivals area when I come home every week at EWR and never had a problem. I dress up our Frenchie in a Santa outfit and waited by baggage claim over the holidays without a problem.
Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote