Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Egyptian airport security put my cat in the scanner for luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Egyptian airport security put my cat in the scanner for luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:42 pm

May I remind the OP and others that - days before she was assassinated - there was a failed assassination attempt against former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. Her attempted assassin tried to hand her a one-year old baby.

The jihadist father had encased the child in a bomb, which exploded and killed 170 people and injured many hundreds more.

Later that year, the murderers had their way and Benazir Bhutto was killed.

Now do you understand why they may want to do CAT scans in that part of the world?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by AlexanderRae
Mainly the lack of friends willing to keep her with them for a month.
Same thing this time.
I keep asking,but they all have excuses.
No idea what to do
Your vet should have some suggestions about a pet sitter who would come in twice a week to clean litter box and feed her. I've left my cat home alone many times.

Bobette
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:42 am

I just watched a chihuahua go through the baggage X-ray machine at Zurich.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Mainly the lack of friends willing to keep her with them for a month.
Same thing this time.
I keep asking,but they all have excuses.
No idea what to do
How about the local kennel?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by kdonnel
I just watched a chihuahua go through the baggage X-ray machine at Zurich.
Less of a cat scan, more of a lab test.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:04 pm

Honest question here -- is any real harm done to a cat by being put through the x-ray machine?

Sure, the cat is getting a lot of radiation needlessly. But is the cat doing to suffer as a result? My thought is that cats don't live long enough to likely develop cancer caused by radiation (unlike humans).

It seems like the consensus of opinion on this previous thread on the topic of x-rayed pets goes along with my thoughts that there is little risk of harm. Can airport x-ray machines harm your pet?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AMEX DL
Originally Posted by b1513
Your vet should have some suggestions about a pet sitter who would come in twice a week to clean litter box and feed her. I've left my cat home alone many times.

Bobette
This is what I did when I had 2 cats. Kennel fees in my area are draconian and care questionable at many of them.

Barbara came in every other day. She even offered to water plants and bring in the mail...unnecessary but convenient if needed.

She charged $10 for each visit (circa 1990's). I was only gone for 10 days so maybe a bit pricey for a month but so much better in so many ways.

As an example: the first time I did this Frankie who would be very upset from the kennel was like "hey, nice to see you" when I came home.

She would always leave a lovely note with some tidbit of their time together.

I wish you well in finding a Barbara!!
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
The cat scan joke was brilliant. I am surprised that no one brought up the importance of cats in Egypt (ancient) though!

From a different perspective, I am thinking that if someone is traveling for a month, maybe the company from the cat is more valuable?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm wondering whether the pussy is still glowing?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum,Sky Club, Marriott Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by simpleflyer
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Yachtman for emperor.

Seriously, the idea of using animals as vectors might strike us as absurd if not repugnant, but on reflection I have to concede it is at least theoretically possible.
Trojan Horse?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

So last year I went to Egypt (Bulgaria-Italy-Egypt flight) and in every security check in every country I have been to I have to take my cat out of the cage and walk with it through the normal scanner.
But no the security in Egypt (Cairo airport) literally picked a fight with me and told me to put my cat with the bags in the other scanner then took her from me forcefully and put her there...
And same thing on my way home.
I'm supposed to go to Egypt around next month and I am so worried the same thing will happen again.
I mean is that even supposed to be normal,because it really isn't in Europe from my experience?
As a cat person, I have to ask: have you considered an alternative destination?

Cats definitely do develop a variety of types of cancer, and while I have no information on the dose and type of radiation delivered by the Cairo airport scanners, it can't be good for the cat.

All things considered, Egypt's track record on "cat scanning" baggage isn't great:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...e-trip-1748011

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.