Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Advice on flying with a puppy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Hey gang! I have a 3-month old puppy and am planning on flying from SEA-BOS and back over the Christmas holiday. I am panicked about it! I've read all the FAQs and understand the cost and size requirements, I would mostly like to hear from fellow travelers any great advice, tips, tricks for flying with your pet. I'm mainly nervous about keeping him quiet and still for 6 straight hours. He sleeps through the night in his crate so his bladder shouldn't be a problem, more worried about him wanting to play, barking at turbulence, etc. Any advice greatly appreciated.;
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Forgot to also ask! What is the precheck policy for traveling with animals? Couldn't find that anywhere on the site.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Familiarize him with his travel bag/crate and environments that resemble the airport and flight experience so he won't be overwhelmed/scared/frightened by everything on the day of the flight. Take him on public transport (Sound transit allows small pets in carriers) a few times beforehand, including at peak times with lots of people.

Tire him out right before getting to the airport, and time meals so he'll start the journey on an empty stomach. If you can take a redeye flight (that aligns with his regular sleep pattern), all the better. NO sedation.
Go for extra-legroom seats (E+/MCE/Y comfort...) if travelling in Y. The carrier will rob you of most of the space to put your legs, and exit rows are off-limits.

PreCheck is actually rather easy. Take him out of his crate or bag, put it on the belt to be screened and walk through the metal detector with him. It depends on the screener if you can hold him or not - most of the time you should be able to.
Ideally, bring a collar/harness and leash with no metal parts that won't set off the machine. Seattle requires pets to be in their carriers inside the terminal, so no walking him to the gate. There's an indoor pet relief area at the exit to the B gates for a last-minute potty break.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Soft carriers fit under the seat more easily. Get your puppy on your reservation as early as possible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.