Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Taking the cat to Europe avoiding the Hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry

My OH is gradually moving her stuff over to the UK, the next task is at Christmas when she is going to bring her cat over, who is currently in Canada, so i have a complicated question.

We are thinking of taking the cat by Car to MSP, then flying to Paris as she will be allowed to sit in the cabin on DL.

Meanwhile i'll drive to Paris to pick her up and the her back to the UK in the car (on Le Shuttle), complying with the UK requirements and the carrier restrictions.

This method seems the best so she's not sent via cargo and the massive costs of sending her to the UK via a shipper. We know we need to complete the vaccinations for the UK PETS requirements.

However, with the documents completed for her entering the UK, will this also cover taking her by car to the US and upon landing in Paris or will more items be needed there too?

Also when in France driving back towards the UK ports, will it be easier to go to the PETS center with the docs completed in Canada or visit a vet in Calais and get the cat a Pet Passport.

Thanks, (there appears to be not many follow ups on this board, so i'll remember to update when it happens)
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I would check with French customs and immigrations.

As I understand, you will be flying Canada->Paris and subsequently travel by land to the UK. In that case, you would need to declare anything, that has to be declared upon arrival in Paris.

Cats have to be declared. In case of violation you can be fined and the pet taken away (whatever that means )

If you can read French: http://www.douane.gouv.fr/articles/a...l-de-compagnie

Edit: From skimming thru the linked article: You'll need documentations established in the country of origin upon arriving in France.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by aidy
My OH is gradually moving her stuff over to the UK, the next task is at Christmas when she is going to bring her cat over, who is currently in Canada, so i have a complicated question.
(snip)

However, with the documents completed for her entering the UK, will this also cover taking her by car to the US and upon landing in Paris or will more items be needed there too?
I have taken cats across the US/Canada border by car, so I'll address that question. Before crossing into Canada, I checked the Canada regulations and all it stated was that I had to have proof the cat was current on his vaccinations, especially rabies. The vet gave me a copy of the cat's shots record, and both directions (In/out of US) I offered the cat's papers to the border agents with our passports and the cat was completely ignored. The border people did not even acknowledge that I had just told them we were traveling with a cat.

Specific to entering the US with a cat: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...l-cats-into-us - basically, if anybody looks at the cat, it has to look healthy.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
We are thinking of taking the cat by Car to MSP, then flying to Paris as she will be allowed to sit in the cabin on DL.
Why not fly directly to LHR?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Why not fly directly to LHR?
because if the restrictions flying pets to the UK, only animals can travel by cargo, and seeing it'll be winter, wont be able to fly from Canada/MN due to temp restrictions

(And about $2000 of savings between direct UK policy and going via Paris)
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
your plan of flying to Paris on Delta carrying on your cat in the cabin and continuing to the UK via Le Shuttle is a sound one, and definitely the best option here.
Just be aware that Delta does not allow carry-on animals in Delta One/business class. You will have to fly economy.

Point of entry into the EU will be France, so France's regulations prevail. Although chances are very slim that customs will want to see any of the paperwork - if they ask for the health cert, it'd better be in French. You don't need any additional paperwork for entering the UK - the French form (which is bilingual) should suffice.
Get your cat a pet passport once in the UK.

You will need, apart from current rabies vaccinations:
- an ISO 11784/11785 compliant microchip (tattoos are acceptable if done and documented prior to mid-2011) and
- this form, (French language version of the EU health cert), duly completed, signed and stamped by a licensed vet and endorsed by an USDA (US) or CFIA (Canada)-accredited 'official' veterinarian. Doesn't really matter if you choose to get this done in the US or in Canada - just be aware that the certificate has a limited validity of 10 days.

Last edited by bhomburg; Nov 13, 2016 at 1:33 am Reason: fixed link.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
your plan of flying to Paris on Delta carrying on your cat in the cabin and continuing to the UK via Le Shuttle is a sound one, and definitely the best option here.
Just be aware that Delta does not allow carry-on animals in Delta One/business class. You will have to fly economy.

Point of entry into the EU will be France, so France's regulations prevail. Although chances are very slim that customs will want to see any of the paperwork - if they ask for the health cert, it'd better be in French. You don't need any additional paperwork for entering the UK - the French form (which is bilingual) should suffice.
Get your cat a pet passport once in the UK.

You will need, apart from current rabies vaccinations:
- an ISO 11784/11785 compliant microchip (tattoos are acceptable if done and documented prior to mid-2011) and
- this form, (French language version of the EU health cert), duly completed, signed and stamped by a licensed vet and endorsed by an USDA (US) or CFIA (Canada)-accredited 'official' veterinarian. Doesn't really matter if you choose to get this done in the US or in Canada - just be aware that the certificate has a limited validity of 10 days.
Thanks for the update, we don't have the ISO microchip its an old NA one, so i have bought the reader which according to their rules is acceptable

Flights are booked, ill keep the forum updated so people know in case others have similar plans
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I thought i would update with how things went incase other people are looking to do similar. A big thanks to WorldLux, CDTraveler & bhomburg for your help!

We got the paperwork from the CFIA, we bought a microchip reader as she has a FDX-A chip instead of the ISO one, injections done and it was time to travel.

1: The US border, as previously mentioned, this was simple, they didn't want to see her paperwork and it was a breeze take her down there, so she had a fun filled day in the US.

2: Flying DL the check in staff and TSA were great, no problems and didn't even ask to take her out of her carry bag, she meowed once on the flight and was quiet the whole way, landing into France, we went to declare her to customs, again they didn't want to see the paperwork and just waived her through.

3: Straight onto the road trip the the Eurotunnel. Just before check in, you have the UK border for animals. The lady serving took her paperwork and my reservation details, checked though the paperwork, told me her reader could read Terra's chip, so i didnt need to buy one! and she got her stamp and was cleared for the UK, it took less than 5 mins.

She enjoyed her journey on the Eurotunnel, and this is her celebrating upon her arrival to her new home.. the UK!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:44 pm

Hi All,

I thought i would update with how things went incase other people are looking to do similar. A big thanks to WorldLux, CDTraveler & bhomburg for your help!

We got the paperwork from the CFIA, we bought a microchip reader as she has a FDX-A chip instead of the ISO one, injections done and it was time to travel.

1: The US border, as previously mentioned, this was simple, they didn't want to see her paperwork and it was a breeze take her down there, so she had a fun filled day in the US.

2: Flying DL the check in staff and TSA were great, no problems and didn't even ask to take her out of her carry bag, she meowed once on the flight and was quiet the whole way, landing into France, we went to declare her to customs, again they didn't want to see the paperwork and just waived her through.

3: Straight onto the road trip the the Eurotunnel. Just before check in, you have the UK border for animals. The lady serving took her paperwork and my reservation details, checked though the paperwork, told me her reader could read Terra's chip, so i didnt need to buy one! and she got her stamp and was cleared for the UK, it took less than 5 mins.

She enjoyed her journey on the Eurotunnel, and this is her celebrating upon her arrival to her new home.. the UK!
Thanks for posting the follow-up.

Cute kitty!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:57 pm

Beautiful kitty cat! So glad your kitty made it safely. I love kitty cat pictures!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.