LAX to PNH with cat and dog

Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
LAX to PNH with cat and dog

I last traveled this route in reverse in 2013 with my cat, in-cabin with Korean Air. Cost USD$200 and was no drama.
It seems now airlines regs have changed and do not allow in-cabin pet carry on the smaller aircraft that service PNH.
So I'm looking at flying either to Bangkok or Saigon and then going overland from there. Or taking the animals underneath and going to PNH.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience they'd care to share on these routes?
Thanks
Old Sep 4, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The issue is just with Korean (KE) - they generally don't allow pets in the cabin on international flights done with a 737. I brought a dog from HKT to Europe in the cabin on Korean this spring with no issues. But HKT gets served with an A330, while PNH is that no-pets 737...
I would go with Asiana (OZ) - they do not have such a restriction (at least not one that is publicly available), and you should be able to take your cat in the cabin to PNH.
To my knowledge, the Koreans (KE and OZ) are the only airlines allowing pets in the cabin going transpacific (5 kg weight limit in both cases).

Second option, if Asiana doesn't accept the cat in the cabin as well: Fly with the cat in the cabin to ICN on either KE or OZ, and put it in the hold only for the five-and-a-half-hour segment to PNH from there. Depending on whom you encounter at the airport in Seoul, this necessitates entering the country and you'd need to adhere to Korean animal import regulations (rabies vaccination and titer test, microchip, health cert).

The closest destination that gets a bigger aircraft on Korean is BKK. You will need to enter Thailand with your cat, which is a bit more complicated than transiting Korea.
And no need to travel overland - both Thai and Bangkok Airways will fly your cat in the hold for reasonable fees on that one-hour flight from BKK to PNH.

Putting the animal in the hold all the way, just checking it through - I would only do that if you know your animal(s) can handle it. LAX-ICN is 13.5 hours, plus 5.5 hours for ICN-PNH, plus the 55-105 minute layover, plus the ~two hours from check-in to departure and landing to passing customs is about 22 hours your cat will be confined to its crate with no food or water or option to relieve itself. This is the same with pretty much all other possible itineraries - total travel time is just too long.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks bhomburg, much appreciated.
With the 5kg weight limit, was you pet weighed? Mine w carrier weighs 6kgs so I wonder...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:07 am

I've flown with pets on KE several times (though never from LAX), and they never weighed the animals. Part of it may be that it always was with dogs, who were on a leash and outside of the carrier at check-in and appeared small enough . The biggest animal I got on was 6.6 kgs without carrier. But I would not count on that being SOP at all stations, and have a backup plan for clearly overweight animals.
Also, get a lightweight carrier. Sturdibag products are good in that regard at just over 1 kg with the shoulder strap removed.

Last edited by bhomburg; Sep 28, 2016 at 7:13 am
Old Oct 13, 2016, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks again bhomburg. I've started a diet on my planned in-cabin cat and am looking at a lighter weight carrier. It looks like I can shave 0.5kg off the overall weight with a different one, which may end up helping a bit!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Very helpful re BKK

I have 4 dogs I want to take to BKK from US (AUS but DFW/IAH ok) in cabin, and I am tearing my hair out. Withdrawal of DL from NRT-BKK is a big issue. Two dogs 4 kg at a pinch but two others are 6kg. Without carrier. So that blows 5kg weight limit. Annoying that normal carry on limit is 12kg.

Mixed airlines even in one ticket or code shares means two fees.

I don't see how we can fly transpacific at all. And via Europe seems ridiculous. Anyone have some ideas? Buy a seat for the dog????!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 4:33 pm

Buying a seat will not relieve you from paying the pet fee.

Also, you will run into issues with four dogs. I don't know a single airline who will let one person travel with four dogs in the cabin. With your size dogs, that'd only work if you are a party of four, and then there's the fact all airlines limit the number of animals flying on any given flight. For example, DL limits the number of pets to 4 in the whole Y cabin - that means your party will take up all the capacity, and if someone else checked in with a pet before you, one in your party will have to take a different flight. This is similar on all airlines.
Korean only accepts a maximum of two dogs per carry-on bag if the animals are younger than 6 months - also, the weight limit is per carrier, not per animal (that's the case on ALL airlines).

What I suggested in your thread in the DL forum - using LH ex DFW - makes the most sense here, provided you will be four passengers, each with one dog carrier. LH only allows one animal per carry-on carrier. And they are very rigorous in their enforcement of the "needs to be able to stand and turn around" rule.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Just an update to the original question; flew with a 50lb lab in the hold LAX-SGN via TPE w EVA Air in March 2017. EVA charges 3 x excess bag for animal that size so extra cost was US$420. Required rabies vacc and health cert from USA. Required transit permit (free) from BAPHIQ in Taiwan; done via email w no problems. Only problem to note was arrival at SGN, upon collecting dog at carousel a Vietnamese Customs employee walked up and asked if we had a permit. We said we're transiting to Cambodia and they said technically need permit, however, they could help... The employee kept repeating this as we kept walking towards the exit, no money exchanged hands and it didn't seem to be the objective but we found ourselves outside with all bags and the dog and no problem...
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:35 am
Original Poster

A further update, flew with 2 cats (one in-cabin and one hold) LAX-SGN via ICN with Asiana in May 2017. Extra cost was USD$200 per pet. Required rabies vacc and health cert from USA. No dramas on arrival in SGN and we exited baggage claim with no hassles.
My BIG concern though, they changed equipment and flew us on an A321 (instead of an A330) from ICN-SGN with no notification of the change. Asiana's policy is no live animals on their A320 series aicraft as these are not suitable for live animal carriage. My issue is the risk my animal was exposed to flying on an unsuitable aircraft and after repeated emails, calls and Facebook messages I have yet to receive a proper response from Asiana. Very disappointed.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by LittleBird
A further update, flew with 2 cats (one in-cabin and one hold) LAX-SGN via ICN with Asiana in May 2017. Extra cost was USD$200 per pet. Required rabies vacc and health cert from USA. No dramas on arrival in SGN and we exited baggage claim with no hassles.
My BIG concern though, they changed equipment and flew us on an A321 (instead of an A330) from ICN-SGN with no notification of the change. Asiana's policy is no live animals on their A320 series aicraft as these are not suitable for live animal carriage. My issue is the risk my animal was exposed to flying on an unsuitable aircraft and after repeated emails, calls and Facebook messages I have yet to receive a proper response from Asiana. Very disappointed.
Oh wow. Mostly, aircraft-type exclusions of this kind are caused by cargo compartments not being equipped with an adequate climate-control system that can keep temeratures in a range suitable for animals, which is an option with both Airbus and Boeing that airlines need to specify when ordering. I`d have raised this with the flight crew right at boarding if it were me and my animal.
However, while this looks to be the reason why Asiana does not allow animals in the cargo hold on their A32x fleet, according to the Asiana cargo site at https://www.asianacargo.com/doctor/t...?globalLang=En, three of their A32x family aircraft are equipped with climate-controlled cargo compartments, so if your flight was operated by one of these tail numbers the equipment swap was safe for animals.
Still, the lack of communication is not encouraging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.