Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

emotional support dog. US > Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)

Flying business with my 20# dog

It appears that only Delta and AA (did not check United, but assume they too) allow emotional support dogs in business class to europe.

Does anyone know if any of the other airlines do?
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
They all do, because they have to - on paper. The ACAA applies to all carriers for travel to and/or from the US. Restrictions on airline websites regarding pets in the cabin are not applicable to ESANs.
Example:AB or KLM only allow cabin pets in economy, not in business, but service animals and emotional support animals may travel in any cabin. I have personal experience with AB and AY there.
Nonetheless, the issues why airlines restrict animals in business remain - most contemporary suite-type lie-flat seats provide precious little space for them especially when you want to fully use the seats' capabilities.
Choose an airline with seats that will allow the dog to stretch out under the seat when extended. Good choices are aircraft equipped with the Thompson Vantage/Vantage XL suites often found on 767s (LX, AA, DL, OS, SK) or the LH seats (made by BE, select seats/planes where they're arranged straight and not angled). The Cirrus seats on AAs ex-US A330s should be OK with your dog as well.
Not good: The "Concept D" Zodiac seats found on AAs refurbished two-class 777s. These have very limited floor space and the seat mechanism is too low to the ground so a dog can't really lie beneath them when the seat in bed mode.
The perfect seat for even large dogs: AAs old Flagship F seat. Space in abundance - even better than the newer design found on their 77W.
Avoid BA and any routing where you'll have to transit the UK/LHR (AA, I'm looking at you).
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Thanks for reply

I checked with KLM and AF and both said they do not consider ES to be a "service animal" so are not allowed. One of their web sites said the same.

???

seat does not matter as she will sleep on me
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:34 pm

Seems they have tightened their policies recently, then. A friend went on AF in J LAX-CDG with an ESAN with no issues last September. It was a pain with the documentation (they came back with things like "the Dr. letter is missing the information where she earned her degree") but the animal was accepted, and once in the system it was all smooth sailing.
I travel with a shepherd-size service dog who weighs 28 kgs - so seat selection is quite important.
I have found AA to be best with accommodating us overall - ease of booking, treatment by front line staff, seats that work with a large dog and IRROPS handling. Can't really complain about them.

Edit: Did some digging, and it definitely appears that the ACAA and its provisions do apply to non-US airlines for US arrivals and departures. Check this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disab...og-france.html
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you very much

It appears that all employees do not know the rules.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:01 pm

You should be prepared to present documentation from a licensed mental health professional. Because of widespread abuse, airlines are more frequently examining and verifying claims that an animal is an emotional support animal.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by BeatCal
Flying business with my 20# dog

It appears that only Delta and AA (did not check United, but assume they too) allow emotional support dogs in business class to europe.

Does anyone know if any of the other airlines do?
i just read this old thread. I guess I missed it in 2016. Any report on how your ESA trip went US to Paris. I am planning a similar trip.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As stated, ALL airlines must follow US rules when they fly into/out of the US and ALL must allow EMDS in all cabins. BUT in Europe NONE will (the US airlines unfortunately do not fly intraeurope. I am taking my dog from Paris to London and she is classified as a service dog in the US. BUT european only classify seeing or hearing dogs as service. They can fly baggage. AF will allow about 3 dogs in coach if they and case are less than 15 kg.
No dogs but seeing / hearing are allowed on Eurostar except the car train.
You cannot rent a car in Europe and drop off in England (because of side of driver)
There are a couple of sites who will pick you up in paris in a car and drop you off in London for 1500 euro
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BeatCal
As stated, ALL airlines must follow US rules when they fly into/out of the US and ALL must allow EMDS in all cabins. BUT in Europe NONE will (the US airlines unfortunately do not fly intraeurope. I am taking my dog from Paris to London and she is classified as a service dog in the US. BUT european only classify seeing or hearing dogs as service. They can fly baggage. AF will allow about 3 dogs in coach if they and case are less than 15 kg.
No dogs but seeing / hearing are allowed on Eurostar except the car train.
You cannot rent a car in Europe and drop off in England (because of side of driver)
There are a couple of sites who will pick you up in paris in a car and drop you off in London for 1500 euro
Don't forget the additional requirements on entering UK with a dog, she (or he) will need to be microchipped, have a Rabies Vaccine after being chipped but 21 days before travel, have a tapeworm treatment at least 24 hours but no more than 5 days before arrival and have all of this documented in a Pet Passport (or equivalent).
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
My plan is Delta JFK to NCE (Nice), direct flight. Trying to avoid London.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:46 am

For

Originally Posted by beachmiles
My plan is Delta JFK to NCE (Nice), direct flight. Trying to avoid London.
Do you still take old Spot to Europe?
I`ve just flown LaCompagnie - a French boutique, all-business-class airline - for the first time since they traded in their old 757s for new A321s. They fly Paris (ORY), Milan (MXP) and Nice (summer season only) to New York (EWR). I paid less than 1400 Euros roundtrip (ORY-EWR), and they use the same seats as AA does in business class on their A321Ts (space is abundant).
They accept pets in the cabin up to 15 kgs (33 lbs),. You can avoid all the bureaucratic hassle airlines have instituted around ESAs these days, and just take him on as a pet (needs to be in a carrier). The pet fee is 10% of your ticket cost. I`ve flown with them for years now (really glad to see they survived the covid grounding) and never experienced them weighing anything.
beachmiles likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:39 pm

Thanks bhomburg, that’s very helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.