Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying with cat "as check-in baggage"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with cat "as check-in baggage"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
Question Flying with cat "as check-in baggage"

Hi everyone, my first post here =)

I was living in South America last few years, but now I'm relocating to Asia. The only issue is that we have few animals, and although some of them travelled already, this time it will be the longest trip (about 24 hours, 1 change of plane).

The only way to fly without many connections, is with KLM. But their policy about "pets in cabin" is rather strict: "In a suitable pet travel bag with max. dimensions 46 (length) x 28 (width) x 24 (height) cm, or in a hard kennel with max. dimensions 46 (length) x 28 (width) x 20 (height) cm. Your pet must be able to stand up and lay down comfortably"

My cats are to big, to stand in such small bag, so I believe the only option I have is to use baggage section. For dogs it will not be a problem I'm sure, but what about cats?

Anyone had such experience? I'm worried and don't want to risk... Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Puteshestvenneg!

Originally Posted by Puteshestvenneg
Anyone had such experience? I'm worried and don't want to risk...
I've sent cats in the hold before, though never on such a long trip. The trip can be traumatic for the cat, though some will tolerate the trip better than others.
There's lots of information and many recommendations and suggestions available online. One recommendation I have is not to drug them - their minds tend to stay active but their bodies won't respond and that can cause them to panic.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:44 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Flyertalk has a Travel With Pets forum, moving this thread there.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, and sorry for posting in wrong forum first) Will be glad if more people will share experience about this topic
Old Jun 6, 2015, 2:46 pm

In my opinion, a 24 hour trip as checked baggage puts the cats' lives at risk.

There are several reasons for that opinion:
  1. cats can't go 24 hours without food or water without significant health consequences
  2. I know of no airline that offers secure facilities in which to remove the cat from the carrier and offer it access to food, water and a litter box
  3. the conditions in the hold make it more likely the cat will become dehydrated, making the need for water even greater
  4. a cat under stress is less likely to drink, especially in unfamiliar circumstances, further contributing to the risk of kidney problems which can be fatal
I've traveled thousands of miles with multiple cats, altho by car not by air, and seen how fast a cat can get into distress. If no one is checking on the cat, the problems can be fatal faster than you'd think.

If the cats are to make a trip of that length, I would suggest breaking the trip overnight, and making sure the cats eat and drink adequately during the break. One of my cats now refuses water on long trips and the last two trips we've had to give it fluids via syringe on travel days - you might discuss with your vet how to insure your cats take in adequate fluids during the layover.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
In my opinion, a 24 hour trip as checked baggage puts the cats' lives at risk.

There are several reasons for that opinion:
  1. I know of no airline that offers secure facilities in which to remove the cat from the carrier and offer it access to food, water and a litter box
OP said he's going with KLM. KLM does exactly that in AMS - cats get taken out of their transport box and are put in large kennels where they are fed and watered and are provided with a fresh litter box. Cost for this service is EUR 150. Another airline offering such services is LH when connecting in FRA.

That said, for all of the reasons CDTraveler outlined above, I would rather take them in the cabin even if things are tight. Especially so if you have snub-nosed breeds (Persians etc.) The baggage hold is no place for those breeds with their acquired respiratory deficiencies even though KLM only recommends taking them in the cabin, unlike most other airlines who generally do not accept snub-nosed cat and dog breeds for travel as checked baggage.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
OP said he's going with KLM. KLM does exactly that in AMS - cats get taken out of their transport box and are put in large kennels where they are fed and watered and are provided with a fresh litter box. Cost for this service is EUR 150. Another airline offering such services is LH when connecting in FRA.
Thx for the info. It's good to know such service exists, but of my 3 cats, I'm positive two of them would be too terrified to eat or drink in such an unfamiliar setting. The third one would be meowing loudly for her lunch.

I have to wonder, tho, if the OP would be going via Europe if his trip is South America to Asia? It would be helpful to know more specifics on the OP's route.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for advices, guys!

I'm flying to Bangkok via Europe (Amsterdam), there is only one option to have just one connection flight (AFAIK more flights - more stress to animals), that's why I choose KLM.

I choose stopover in AMS for few hours, and KLM staff will feed the pets, get the dogs out etc

One of the cats already did Transatlantic when he was younger, the only thing is that LAN allowed to take him in cabin - althought KLM allows only very small kennels inside (see first post).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.