Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Any pet in cabin airlines to Asia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2015, 6:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

We are traveling to HK and have used CX before in the cargo hold but our pets are getting older and need to find an airline that will allow us to travel to HK with our pets in cabin and preferably in first or business class. Any suggestions welcome, thank you
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
If you can live with their 5 kg weight limit - the only airlines I know allowing pets in all cabins including F/J flying TPAC from the US are KE and OZ.

Other than that, you have to go the long way and TATL via Europe: European carriers AF, LH and LX do allow pets in the cabin in all classes of service. Weight limit for carryon pets on all of them is 8kgs combined dog-plus-carrier weight.

There's no oneworld airline allowing pets in the cabin from the US to Asia in F /J. The only oneworld airline to allow PETC from the US to HKG is AY, unfortunately in economy only. Same for Skyteam partner KLM who relegate passengers with pets to economy.
Should your dogs be noticeably heavier than the 8kg combined animal+carrier limit imposed on the above airlines, you're out of luck. While AZ allows pets of up to 10 kg to travel in the cabin, they do not fly to HKG any more.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
If you can live with their 5 kg weight limit - the only airlines I know allowing pets in all cabins including F/J flying TPAC from the US are KE and OZ.

Other than that, you have to go the long way and TATL via Europe: European carriers AF, LH and LX do allow pets in the cabin in all classes of service. Weight limit for carryon pets on all of them is 8kgs combined dog-plus-carrier weight.

There's no oneworld airline allowing pets in the cabin from the US to Asia in F /J. The only oneworld airline to allow PETC from the US to HKG is AY, unfortunately in economy only. Same for Skyteam partner KLM who relegate passengers with pets to economy.
Should your dogs be noticeably heavier than the 8kg combined animal+carrier limit imposed on the above airlines, you're out of luck. While AZ allows pets of up to 10 kg to travel in the cabin, they do not fly to HKG any more.
Very helpful thank you. Yes our pets are 4-5 pds each (pomeranian dogs) and would definitely be under those weight restrictions. Did call KE and they told me yes you can until ICN but not into HKG. Not sure if worth the hassle but since our pets are getting older and they hate flying to Asia we are trying to figure this out. Will consider and check out AY, have flown them without pets from Asia once to Europe and it was comfortable but upfront. Will have to consider if going the long way makes sense and in coach.

Thanks again
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:30 pm

I would email KE and OZ again with your request. This will likely get answered by someone competent. Phone agents aren't known for their expertise in such matters. I would want to have something in writing from ANY airline before booking the ticket in this case, anyway.

That said, AY economy is pretty good as far as economy goes, especially since they have introduced "economy comfort" with six inches more legroom (makes a real difference with a pet carrier!) late last year. I have flown that to SIN a few times now and survived the flights in pretty OK shape. They also sell the last two rows of business as economy on some A340 flights depending on load factors - you get to sit in the business seat but receive only economy service. Got lucky with that twice, and those flights were without doubt the best economy flights I ever took .
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I would email KE and OZ again with your request. This will likely get answered by someone competent. Phone agents aren't known for their expertise in such matters. I would want to have something in writing from ANY airline before booking the ticket in this case, anyway.

That said, AY economy is pretty good as far as economy goes, especially since they have introduced "economy comfort" with six inches more legroom (makes a real difference with a pet carrier!) late last year. I have flown that to SIN a few times now and survived the flights in pretty OK shape. They also sell the last two rows of business as economy on some A340 flights depending on load factors - you get to sit in the business seat but receive only economy service. Got lucky with that twice, and those flights were without doubt the best economy flights I ever took .

Great info and tips once again, super helpful, thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChuckMango
Great info and tips once again, super helpful, thanks!
Hi ChuckMango, what's your final research results?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Pets are NOT allowed in the cabin on any flights entering or leaving HK, regardless of airline. They have to travel in the hold.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:17 am

For each and every flights, pets are NOT allowed into the cabin i guess...
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:54 pm

Breed Restrictions on airlines

HELP! I need to fly my Mixed Lhasa Apso from Kathmandu to NYC. Does anyone know any airlines that will take him as cargo as he can not easily fit under the seat in the cabin for the length of the trip.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Shoshonepal
HELP! I need to fly my Mixed Lhasa Apso from Kathmandu to NYC. Does anyone know any airlines that will take him as cargo as he can not easily fit under the seat in the cabin for the length of the trip.
Pretty much your only sensible one-stop option for this route would be Turkish Airlines. While they recommend snub-nosed breeds travel in the cabin, they accept them for travel in the hold (price: USD 300). TK only has breed-based bans for a few breeds labeled "dangerous".
However, I`d do this only as a last resort and make sure you are able to retrieve him during the 14-hour layover in Istanbul (paperwork to enter Turkey). He'd really be much better off in the cabin. Tickets are not that expensive - buying a second seat beneath which to place the the carrier especially for the 11.5-hour IST-JFK flight would be a reasonable expense.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kakapinky
Hi ChuckMango, what's your final research results?
Hi and apologies for belated reply as I never checked back. I am afraid ex-HKG one's pet must travel cargo everywhere. Please let us know if you find otherwise by any chance. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.