Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Flying to Chicago, Layover in Vancouver with a Pet

Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:12 am
Original Poster

I have been living in Korea for a year and got a cat while I was here (he was a rescue). I bought my tickets home going with Air Canada from Incheon to Vancouver to Chicago. I've been researching diligently, and was able to get a reservation for my cat to be in-cabin with me for both legs of the trip. I am getting all the proper paperwork, and everything seems to be going smoothly, except for one worry. I ended up with only an hour and a half layover in Vancouver. Based on Air Canada's website I was under the impression that I would not need to get my baggage, but would need to go through security again.

However, today I found out that in Vancouver I will need to go through US customs and border protection before I can board my next flight (I thought I would do all of this once I landed in Chicago, but I was wrong). I had been assured that one and a half hours was plenty of time to make my next flight, but I don't think the agent I spoke to was aware that I would have a pet with me. I know the US has mandatory inspections for animals. So my big worry/question is, will I have enough time to go through security, customs, an animal inspection, and then make my next flight? Does anyone know what an animal inspection is like? Is it an agent on the scene looking the cat over and moving me along in 5 minutes, or do I have to go to a separate area, wait in line, fill out a form, etc.? I've missed connecting flights before and airlines have always been really good at simply placing me on another flight at no additional cost, but with a pet I'm afraid things will get super complicated if I miss that flight. This is causing me a lot of anxiety, so any information would be appreciated.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
No anxiety required.
In multiple trips to the US with my dog, connecting in various gateway cities (MIA, JFK, DFW, PHL, LAX, DTW, DFW...) I have never been subjected to an animal inspection. Most of the time, the immigrations/customs officers didn't bat an eye, and the two times where I was asked about the animal a quick check of her pet passport where the rabies shot was documented was all that was required.
I had USDA inspect her (kibble-type) food I brought with me a few times, though and that took a few minutes. So if you want to avoid being held up by the agricultural inspection, don't bring any (meat-based) food.
And even when you miss that flight and get put on the next one - that is no different with a pet than without one.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Wow, thank you! That makes me feel a lot better! I'll take your advice on the pet food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.