Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

NYC-GIG with 25 lb. Goldendoodle-AA Nonstop or UA via IAH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:48 am
Original Poster

My family needs to transport our 25 lb. Goldendoodle from NYC to GIG. I believe that he is too big for the cabin in any class on any airline flying the route -- although I would be happy to pay practically any amount to bring him on the plane with me if that is possible.

I had initially expected to travel with him as "checked baggage" on the AA JFK-GIG nonstop, as it is the quickest route, with the least time on the plane, and no connections to go wrong. I have been dissuaded by some people from doing this, as AA will not fly pets if it is over 85 degrees (this will be at the end of July which can of course be hot in NY, but not so much in Rio). They have also dissuaded me based upon their belief that AA treats pets in a substandard manner (I have absolutely no experience to know whether this is correct or not, but for humans I have generally found them ok). The other nonstop option is TAM, which will take a pet at any temperature, but this is the same exact terminal (and likely ground staff) as AA at JFK and GIG, and it seems to me that if it is above 85 degrees, I don't want him to fly that day anyway. I should add that I have some flexibility and am willing to wait for a day under 85 degrees to fly (and the fact that the flight doesn't leave until 10 p.m. should also help on that count).

The other option is United, either as checked baggage or cargo. One problem with United is that it requires a stop and transfer in Houston, and I am concerned that such a transfer would add to the possibility for things to go wrong, and extend his travel time.

I have spoken to a dedicated pet shipping service, which has advised me to send him by cargo on UA using their PetSafe Program -- which they will handle point to point for around US$3000. They told me that AA is a horrible option and they won't use them -- full stop -- even though its nonstop. They have also told me that UA is wonderful, that he will always be in air conditioning, that the UA staff is kind and caring, that he will be walked in Houston (maybe even get a photo of him), and that UA is far and away the best option. I know one family that has used this service -- happily -- but have no other points of reference.

At this point I am leaning towards the pet shipper on UA, but my wife and I are extremely stressed about this -- as I know that the other people on this board often are about their loved ones. Can anybody offer any advice as to our options and the best thing for my dog, without regard to price?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
No, 25lbs plus carrier is too large for an in-cabin pet on any airline I know.

By all means, take the nonstop flight on AA or JJ. you asked for the "best" thing for your dog, and the best thing is to keep the time in the kennel and exposure to airlines as short as possible.
The 85-degree rule should not be an issue, as the direct AA flight leaves only at 9:30pm, long after sunset. Its is highly unlikely that the temperature will exceed 85 degrees at this time. And it arrives at 8:45 in the morning, early enough to avoid any heat issues as well.

With a nonstop flight, there is so much less potential for things to go wrong, plus the time your dog needs to spend in the kennel will be much much shorter - about one hour prior to departure plus about 30 minutes after landing.

I have taken my dog across the Atlantic on AA multiple times and she has always been treated very well by AA staff. In fact, one time in Dec. 2012, a full-to-the last-seat 767 bound to MXP waited for her to be loaded onboard from a late connection - yes, the flight left JFK 45 minutes late because of my dog ^

United does not transport dogs as checked baggage. You'd have to use their cargo-based "Petsafe" program - just see one thread below for some opinions about that one. And dismiss the part about dogs being walked in Houston during layovers. That is misinformation - animals stay in their kennels and are given water and maybe food if you provided it, but that's it.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Many grateful thanks for the valuable advice.

My intuition told me this was true -- the shortest flight without a stop would be best. Thanks for helping me to see that through the sales pitch.

Hopefully the flight won't be too traumatic for the dog or us.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Wow $3000 is quite a chunk of change.

Too bad you can't fly private. That would solve a lot of problems, but would be quite expensive.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bhomburg
The 85-degree rule should not be an issue, as the direct AA flight leaves only at 9:30pm, long after sunset. Its is highly unlikely that the temperature will exceed 85 degrees at this time. And it arrives at 8:45 in the morning, early enough to avoid any heat issues as well.
That the temperature will be under 85 degrees when you depart is an assumption on your part. I double checked, did a search for July 30th and the record high which was in 2002 was 96 degrees. Last year it hit 85 degrees and most likely you are dealing with what the temperature is at the airport at the time you have to check your dog in and not the actual departure time of the flight. @:-)

That being said I also agree that if you absolutely have to take your dog the JFK N/S is the best way to go.

Wishing you good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.