Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Turkish Airlines Business Class With Cat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying THY from Tbilisi to LAX with a layover in IST. I'd like to take my cat with me but I am terrified of Turkish Airlines spotty history of leaving animals at the gate in Istanbul. From their Pets page (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...n/baggage/pets) it appears that I can bring my cat on board after getting approval beforehand. However, this part worries me:

Dogs and cats, or cats and birds may not be carried onto the same plane (whether or not they are in the same cabin). Dogs and birds will be placed in separate cabins, or as far away as possible from one another in the event that separate cabin placement is not feasible.
So they are saying if a dog happens to be on my flight, my cat won't be admitted (or vice versa). Let's say I call ahead and get approval for my cat. Does that guarantee him the flight? I'm worried someone will show up with a dog and I'll get the short end of the stick.

Additionally, does anyone have experience with pets inside Ataturk airport? I plan to use Lounge Istanbul and I don't recall seeing pets there last time I stayed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jim
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
While unlikely (even more so with their premium cabin pax who they try to accommodate nicely IME), that theoretically could happen, yes. Especially when someone with a service dog is on the same flight as these get precedence.
Worst case: you'll get rebooked on the next available flight. As they only have one flight per day, I'd build this flexibility onto your schedule just to be on the safe side.

I always recommend TK to animal haters / pet dander allergy sufferers, as they also have a policy of not accepting pets in the cabin when another passenger on the same flight claims a pet dander allergy and produces a medical note stating such - that is another point you might want to be aware of.

P.S.: I'd only take this nonstop flight if you know your cat will be fine with being confined to their carrier for at least 15 hours. That flight lasts for a long 13 hours 45 minutes, then add at least 90 minutes for the time between passing security in IST and getting past customs at LAX where you cannot remove him from its carrier.

I have seen a guide dog in the lounge before but don't know if they allow other pets.
In its carrier, I doubt they'll say anything. Worst case, they'll ask you to put him in the baggage lockers (next to the entrance).

I know cross-posting is frowned upon in here, but consider asking this again in the TK forum. My own experience with TK and animals is limited to one single flight three years ago when I took my dog along.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I'm curious about the outcome, I am planning to fly my (small) dog from PVG to western Europe with TK in J, would like to know about the lounge access and overall experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.