Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Can you buy a seat for dog rather than pay in-cabin pet fee?

Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:33 am
Original Poster

I tried searching, but couldn't find anything that addressed this specific question. If I'm flying on an airline that charges $250 round trip for an in-cabin pet fee and the total cost of the 'human' ticket is only $200 RT, can I just buy the dog an extra seat rather than pay the pet fee? Does anyone have experience trying to do something like this? The specific airlines this question would apply to are JetBlue and Delta, but I'm curious just in general.

The dog would still stay in the carrier below the seat for the flight. I don't expect the dog to be able to sit on the actual seat, nor would the dog have carry-ons or their own frequent flier account . I can't see why I wouldn't be able to treat this situation like an extra seat for a cello or some other oversized object.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I don't think DL will permit you to do this.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:52 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I checked a few years back and Delta, United and JetBlue said no. However, I do know they make exceptions for celebrity pets.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 2:31 am

Hi, I am flying to Fl this Friday and I bought an extra seat on US Air because I was told that besides the carrier I could only bring a personal item (handbag etc.) I advised them that I will not be checking my other bag. They are waiving the pet fee.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by kiaorana
Hi, I am flying to Fl this Friday and I bought an extra seat on US Air because I was told that besides the carrier I could only bring a personal item (handbag etc.) I advised them that I will not be checking my other bag. They are waiving the pet fee.
Something doesn't sound right with this story. How did they waive the pet fee and how will the GA and FA know these special circumstances? Pet carrier does count as your carry on. They can check your carry on free of charge at the gate though
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiaorana
Glad to hear someone was able to do it.

I've always thought that counting the pet as your carry on was ridiculous. It's not like I'm going to put them in the overhead bin. Carry on=overhead bin, personal item=under the seat. Therefore dog=personal item, not carry-on.
Old May 23, 2017, 12:58 am

Haven't been on this site in years. I did travel to Florida two years in a row and was able to purchase an extra seat and have the pet fee waived. I was told that the carrier had to remain under the seat. My carrier was kept on the seat next to me. I never let my pup out. Just unzipped the bag so he could stick his head out and lay it in my Palm where he fell asleep. I also covered the bag to not draw attention. I just found out that US Air merged with AA. Just too bad. BTW the extra seat was cheaper than the pet fee. You didn't pay taxes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.