Wiki Posts
Search

Rottweiler as Lap Child

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Rottweiler as Lap Child

Did anyone else catch the strange barefoot man trying to take a 90 lb Rottweiler on first MSP-CMH flight this morning as his lap child? It was quite bizarre.

Kudos to the gate agents for denying him boarding and calling the PD on him after he started throwing a tantrum. Despite what some animal-lovers might believe, dogs are not children!

Boo to the MSP TSA for letting this idiot through pass security with a 90 lb Rottweiler.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by dls25
Did anyone else catch the strange barefoot man trying to take a 90 lb Rottweiler on first MSP-CMH flight this morning as his lap child? It was quite bizarre.

Kudos to the gate agents for denying him boarding and calling the PD on him after he started throwing a tantrum. Despite what some animal-lovers might believe, dogs are not children!

Boo to the MSP TSA for letting this idiot through pass security with a 90 lb Rottweiler.
Yesssss!!!!!

Note to TSA: Animals can be Terrorists as well. curious to hear how animal lovers will spin this.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
If I thought I could get away with it I would absolutely love to take one of my dogs as a lap child! They're much better behaved than a human child ;-)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:01 pm

Man.. People and their pets..
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by naijaman
... curious to hear how animal lovers will spin this.
Or the equally vociferous Right to Bare Feet crowd.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan - E75, Delta Sky Miles - Silver, HHonors - Gold, Club Carlson Silver
curious to hear how animal lovers will spin this.
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
If I thought I could get away with it I would absolutely love to take one of my dogs as a lap child! They're much better behaved than a human child ;-)
They will spin it like this. I love how those who don't have kids or who conveniently forget what it is like to have kids either disparage kids and parents or try to draw a parallel between their dog/cat/hedgehog and a child! The assertion that an animal should have the rights of a human (no matter the age) is ridiculous. I'd take a screaming child before a DYKWIA any day. And as for dogs, they have a seat in the hold.
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
Man.. People and their pets..
^ exactly
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
As a lap child or support animal? A few years back I sat next to a woman with a pretty large black lab as her support animal -- wearing the vest an all. The dog was on the floor most of the trip, but for take off and landing she had him in her lap.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:51 am

Why didn't he claim the dog was his emotional support animal? I thought that usually works these days (at least from what I read on FT.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
"""Why didn't he claim the dog was his emotional support animal? I thought that usually works these days (at least from what I read on FT."""

To make it work you have to convince a professional in the mental health field to write a letter on their letterhead saying that you are under their care and that you "need" the support animal. I am of the opinion that most psychiatrists and psychologists would not take to writing such a letter lightly.

You can NOT just verbally say it is an emotional support animal and they take your word for it as you can a service animal, you have to provide documentation and I know that at least AA contacts the doctor to verify that it is legit.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
"""Why didn't he claim the dog was his emotional support animal? I thought that usually works these days (at least from what I read on FT."""

To make it work you have to convince a professional in the mental health field to write a letter on their letterhead saying that you are under their care and that you "need" the support animal. I am of the opinion that most psychiatrists and psychologists would not take to writing such a letter lightly.

You can NOT just verbally say it is an emotional support animal and they take your word for it as you can a service animal, you have to provide documentation and I know that at least AA contacts the doctor to verify that it is legit.
^NC_Girl. Thanks for the update on this. Honestly, I thought all you had to do was buy a vest on the internet, and hope that your dog was well behaved. Glad to see there are some checks and balances.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by LuvAv8n
^NC_Girl. Thanks for the update on this. Honestly, I thought all you had to do was buy a vest on the internet, and hope that your dog was well behaved. Glad to see there are some checks and balances.

http://servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA-flying

Those who try to pass off a pet as a "service animal" can face criminal penalties if the dog is in fact not a service animal. Anyone who does this type of thing is hurting those how actually need a service animal.

Disclaimer: I used to train Service, S&R and Police dogs.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Wonder if our Rottweiler owner read the part about 48 hours notice??

Again, thanks for providing a link to actual document, vice rumor and speculation on our part, which of course, NEVER happens on FT.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Yesssss!!!!!

Note to TSA: Animals can be Terrorists as well. curious to hear how animal lovers will spin this.
As an animal lover I can tell you I think it's ridiculous for a pax to expect they can bring such a large (non-service) animal into the cabin. Depending on the animal it may very well be abusive to them as well as disrespectful to the other pax.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NC_Girl

You can find someone to write a letter or script for anything... Someone intent on doing this will find authorization.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
You can find someone to write a letter or script for anything... Someone intent on doing this will find authorization.
Sadly this is true, however, I don't think it is as easy as some people think. You do not just go to the airport and say "oh he is an ESA" and get on the plane, at least if the GA is doing their jobs.

I do not think that your average psychiatrist or psychologist is going to be handing out these letters to anyone who asks for one. Unfotunately there is a whole bunch of websites on the internet that will "certify" your ESA and provide such a letter for $100 or less, as long as you send them the money.

I have a real issue with fake service dogs and ESA's!! As someone who has seen first hand the issues actual service dog teams have encountered due to the many fakers out there, I personally wish they would prosecute and jail a few examples to make people think twice about trying to fake it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.