Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Flying with Dogs on LH from Heathrow Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying out of Heathrow on LH to FRA and then JFK with my dog and wanted to know what to expect at the airports.

Will the LH lounge at Heathrow T1 allow me to take the dog in? I think I read somewhere that they take the dog from you till it's time to board- but that would just be a nightmare if that's true.

And same goes for the FRA airport- would I be able to take the dog in its carrier to the lounge? Although, may be for the dog's sake, better to just walk around outside during layover, I suppose.

Anyone done layover trips with their dog? It's not something I'm looking forward to at all and wouldn't do if not necessary.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonours Diamond, Tesco Clubcard!
I can't comment on the lounges but last April one of my puppies flew as carry on baggage with LH from LHR to DEN via FRA. The pup stayed with its owner throughout (they used a small room at LHR security to take the pup out of the carrier so that the bag could be checked). Previously when my puppies have gone to the US using US based carriers the pups have been taken away at check in and reunited with the owner on the plane but that didn't happen this time.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Whew. That's a relief to hear. I don't mind if I'm not allowed in the lounges. Small price to pay to have my dog with me and not in cargo, which is how she had to come into the UK.

But hearing all those cat posts in the other thread, I'm praying my dog behaves, which she usually does but this is such a new situation, who's to know?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:50 pm

Question

Thanks for the post. I'm traveling soon with my dog in the cabin out of heathrow and was wondering how it all went? If you don't mind can you give me the details? Suggestions? Very appreciated!
Anthony
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:11 pm

I am planing to travel with my dog in cabin first week of November, if If you fly before that can you give me some tips? I'll make sure to update all treads here after my trip
leaving Heathrow to go to Brazil! via Lufthansa (Frankfurt)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:53 pm

quick update

Travelled out from Heathrow to Brazil via Lufthansa (London-Frankfurt-Rio de Janeiro)
all went well , no worries at Heathrow...
when we get to the scan area, the officers let me pass and they took my dag and bag outside...we went to a little room where I took off my dog from the bag and they went back with the bag to sacn while I was waiting with my dog and an officer in this little room...this all was very quick, they brought my bag back and we left... let me know if you need more details..good luck!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:04 pm

lufthansa in cabin dog from HEATHROW ????

Hi all... this is my first participation in the forum. im writing to ask about taking a dog IN THE CABIN on the Lufthansa from LHR. I've always believed that pets cant fly in the cabin from the uk as the only way to fly from there is in the cargo hold, and honoslty i was quite shocked when i read the stories of some members who took thier small pets in the cabin on board from LHR.
Therefore,im writing to ask to know if this practice is still possible as im planning to spend the summer in Europe with my small dog,and will leave Europe to my HomeTown Bahrain from Heathrow and i want to make sure that there will be no problem in taking the dog in the cabin, providing everything is prepared in advance...
cheers
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I know you can take the pet in the cabin on LH flights in mainland Europe as I have done it with my small dog.

The UK has fallen into line with the EU Pet travel rules so they are now allowed to travel between UK-EU without quarantine (and provided they have all their shots and passport).

HOWEVER going by this link
http://www.heathrowairport.com/plan-...ling-with-pets

I believe LHR still require them to go in the hold where as the LGW website states that some airlines allow pets in the cabin.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:56 am

Actually just saw this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-heathrow.html

Which seems to point to LHR allowing them in the cabin too.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Dogs in cabin in Heathrow

Hi there,

I hope this is not too late for you. I flew with my small miniature schnauzer in-cabin on LH from Heathrow-Munich-NYC last year. There was no problem whatsoever. No holding of the dog in a special area either. Only- during security check, they make you go into a special room and take your dog out of its bag, so that they can x-ray the bag.

If you want any more info, send me a private message as I'm not always on here these days.

Hope this helps
Old May 18, 2012, 1:38 pm

Question,urgent

I had booked my flight with Lufthansa from Edinburgh to Germany (Frankfurt) and then to Poland. I want to take my cat with me. Before I bought the tickets in December I checked the website and other information regarding taking my pet to another EEA state and it looked like I would be able to do it. Today I called Lufthansa customer service in the UK and wanted to buy an in cabin ticket for my cat. I was told that I cannot take my pet with my and have to use cargo. 2 customer service assistants told me that it is not possible to travel with pet on board from UK to another country!!!!!and that the only possible way is through cargo.

It is contrary to what Lufthansa's website states. Plus I have found various posts from people who had done it so I am totally lost.

When I called in December to ask I was told that I can take my cat with me. I have started issuing a passport, my cat has microchip and got rabies vaccination plus consulted everything with my vet. Nobody asked me about that.

Do you have any tips how to solve it? or have more info regarding travelling with pets from UK to another European country?
Old May 19, 2012, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beciaczek
I had booked my flight with Lufthansa from Edinburgh to Germany (Frankfurt) and then to Poland. I want to take my cat with me. Before I bought the tickets in December I checked the website and other information regarding taking my pet to another EEA state and it looked like I would be able to do it. Today I called Lufthansa customer service in the UK and wanted to buy an in cabin ticket for my cat. I was told that I cannot take my pet with my and have to use cargo. 2 customer service assistants told me that it is not possible to travel with pet on board from UK to another country!!!!!and that the only possible way is through cargo.

It is contrary to what Lufthansa's website states. Plus I have found various posts from people who had done it so I am totally lost.

When I called in December to ask I was told that I can take my cat with me. I have started issuing a passport, my cat has microchip and got rabies vaccination plus consulted everything with my vet. Nobody asked me about that.

Do you have any tips how to solve it? or have more info regarding travelling with pets from UK to another European country?
I hate to say it, but when in doubt escalate the matter up the LH corporate ladder. Often times phone reps are misinformed. @:-)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:48 pm

Returning to the UK

Sorry to jump on this thread, but could anyone tell me if the process is identical returning to the UK? My heart missed a beat when I found out that LH took dogs in cabin. I would like to take my two mini schnauzers to France and home again on holiday. We usually drive but it's expensive and lengthy - flying would be a massive improvement.

Anyone have experience of coming back?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by oxdog

Anyone have experience of coming back?
I believe the UK requires the animals to arrive in the hold and entet through the animal centres rather than arriving in the cabin.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:58 am

Lufthansa flight with Dog in cabin

Hello,

I hope someone might be able to help me on our upcoming international move.

We are moving back to the U.S. from the U.K. and have a 6kg dog. He flew with us in cabin in the U.S. in a Sherpa but I am worried about meeting the Lufthansa requirements. First, it states on the web site that the carrier has to be "water tight". Since the Sherpa is soft sided, does this count?

Additionally, the representative on the phone said it would not be an issue to have the dog fly in cabin on the UK to Germany leg, but I have heard otherwise. Does anyone know where I can look to verify that this will not be an issue when we get to the airport?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.