Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Time it takes to check in a cabin-travelling pet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Hello! My cat and I will be spending the summer with her human dad in France and we have a few questions!

We already have lots of things ready to go...
- tickets and notification to airlines of pet travel in cabin
- soft-side SturdiBag large (which is the max size for Delta!)
- updated shots and paperwork
- ISO/international microchip
- harness and leash (she is very well trained!)

Things we are getting ready for
- Wellness exam for ASDA certificate

So my question is....
1) How long does it generally take to check in a pet for cabin travel?
Currently I am scheduled for the shuttle that arrives almost 2 hours prior to take-off (the only other option was the one that arrives SEVEN hours prior....). The first leg is a domestic flight. I will have checked-in online the day before.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AC E
I think 2 hours is plenty, it's when you get to France that it may take awhile because they will check your paperwork and do a "vet check" (aka make sure kitty is breathing and give you an invoice). Make sure you bring plenty of pee-pads (cheapest at hospital supply stores). Also pre-book your seat as most airlines put pets in the window because of more room under the seat in-front and you can't be in the same row as a child in lap or another pet because there are 4 masks in a 3 seat row.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Daria
Also pre-book your seat as most airlines put pets in the window because of more room under the seat in-front and you can't be in the same row as a child in lap or another pet because there are 4 masks in a 3 seat row.
Pets qualify for an oxygen mask?

I'm not saying I don't think my felines deserve them in case of a lose of cabin pressure, I just am startled by the notion that airlines would have considered this in making rules. Also, I have seen 2 cabin pets in the same row (NW, I think) so perhaps the rule isn't universal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.