Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

cabin pet and new security xray machines?

Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,

We travel with a cabin-sized dog...JFK AA is our home airport terminal ...has anyone dealt with the new TSA xray backscatter machines while bringing a dog or cat? IS it an automatic opt-out? with the metal detectors I just carry the dog through....can't find any info on procedures with these new machines...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Can't you opt for a secondary hand pat down?
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
I agree with RSSrsvp - you should be able to just tell the TSO, "Opt out!" They'll give you a secondary screening. I've done that even when not carrying a pet.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
They opt you out - you don't ask

Flew out of BOS w/my Maine Coon cat last month, and for the first time encountered the new machines. I didn't have to ask to opt out, the minute they saw the big fella in my arms, they moved me over to the standard "walk through" detectors. I asked what will happen w/pet travel when BOS goes all Xray and was told I would be moved to the "opt out" line for hand screening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.