Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUS-BOS with 2 giant cats

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

AUS-BOS with 2 giant cats

I've got 2 big Savannah's and Im trying to figure the best way to get them from Austin to Boston.

one is about 21lbs and the other is around 17. The bigger one is about 14" at the shoulders.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer to take them in the cabin.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
officially cabin pets generally can't be larger than 15 lbs on most carriers. My cat is "big boned" as well and tends to squish himself up in his carrier when terrified. I've neve rhad a problem getting him in the cabin and have never had my underseat carrier weighed.

If you wanted to take 2 of them, you can't take them in the same carrier if they're that size. You'll need a buddy to fly with you to check the other one, but you'll have to check your carrier's rules to make sure more than 1 pet can be in the cabin. Sometimes they won't allow it. If you're on the same PNR each with a pet, it might be ok. Again, check with the airline. They usually have a section on their website dealing with pets / cabin and cargo.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I can find a one way trip for 59 bucks but it costs like 125 to have an in cabin pet. How funny.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AustiniteCas
Thanks, I can find a one way trip for 59 bucks but it costs like 125 to have an in cabin pet. How funny.
I travel w/a Maine Coon cat, who weighs in around 23 lbs + his carrier. On AA, when I check in, they always ask to see him to make sure he
can stand/move comfortably but they have never asked to weigh him.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:31 pm

Drive!

Yes, I said drive. My big guy is 17 pounds, and there's no way I'd stuff him into an airline acceptable container, and cargo is not a choice I'd make for any animal. If I was fool enough to try to stuff him into a carrier, the whole plane would hear about it from boarding to landing.

I should mention that I drove 1,200 miles last week with our cats, and they do fine on the road. Just book pet-friendly places in advance, get the cats comfy in the backseat, and you're good to go.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
My guess would be the OP doesn't have the time to drive from Austin to Boston. And a several hours flite would be easier than several days on the road.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I travel w/a Maine Coon cat, who weighs in around 23 lbs + his carrier. On AA, when I check in, they always ask to see him to make sure he can stand/move comfortably but they have never asked to weigh him.
How do you get a 23 lb MC into a carrier small enough to fit under a seat? We tried it at PetCo, and it wasn't physically possible to get our MC, at 17 lbs but young and very big boned into a flight bag, forget him standing or turning around. He's tall for his weight. For car rides, he has size medium dog carrier.

Originally Posted by Dianne47
My guess would be the OP doesn't have the time to drive from Austin to Boston. And a several hours flite would be easier than several days on the road.
OP asked "best way to get them from Austin to Boston" and I answered the question. Based on personal experience, I strongly disagree with your statement that flying would be easier: according to airline rules, my cat is too large to travel in the cabin and there is no way I would ever subject him to the cargo hold, we value his life.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Dec 7, 2010 at 9:14 am
Old Dec 7, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
How do you get a 23 lb MC into a carrier small enough to fit under a seat? We tried it at PetCo, and it wasn't physically possible to get our MC, at 17 lbs but young and very big boned into a flight bag, forget him standing or turning around. He's tall for his weight. For car rides, he has size medium dog carrier.

OP asked "best way to get them from Austin to Boston" and I answered the question. Based on personal experience, I strongly disagree with your statement that flying would be easier: according to airline rules, my cat is too large to travel in the cabin and there is way I would ever subject him to the cargo hold, we value his life.
I would prefer to fly. I am going with a friend and will try and do 2 in cabin pets. Either Continental or Southwest airlines, maybe Delta. My cats do not handle travel well, so I figure the shortest amount possible would be best. They flew as kittens from the breeder in indiana to me in Texas, but they were in cargo and were very sacred when I got them.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, in the car, he use a larger, hard sided carrier, but on the plane, I use the Sturdi carrier which is far, far better/more comfortable for him than the Sherpa. I also make sure to fly in First class so there is more space in front of me for him.

OP asked "best way to get them from Austin to Boston" and I answered the question. Based on personal experience, I strongly disagree with your statement that flying would be easier: according to airline rules, my cat is too large to travel in the cabin and there is way I would ever subject him to the cargo hold, we value his life.

Just b/c someone chooses to travel w/the pet in cabin, rather than drive, doesn't mean they don't love their pet. There are far too many variables at play to support that sort of criticism.

I know my cat's personality/anxiety triggers and having him as a carry on for a 5 to 6 hour flight is far superior to having him in the car for 5 to 6 days. I fly w/my cat - who is indeed slightly larger than the maximum size - West Coast to East Cost, round trip twice a year, including just last Sunday. On the plane, as long as he can see me, he's fine. He just sits there. In the car, he gets motion sick; unnerved by hotels, etc.. etc... its a disaster.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I also make sure to fly in First class so there is more space in front of me for him.

Just b/c someone chooses to travel w/the pet in cabin, rather than drive, doesn't mean they don't love their pet. There are far too many variables at play to support that sort of criticism.
My comment was about putting pets in the cargo hold, as your cat flies F, clearly it doesn't apply.

Feel free to do a google search on the number pets who die or get lost while being shipped as cargo.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My comment was about putting pets in the cargo hold, as your cat flies F, clearly it doesn't apply.

Feel free to do a google search on the number pets who die or get lost while being shipped as cargo.
I don't have to do a search. I have had a major air carrier lose my pet for approximately 48 hours, then have her arrive seemingly fine only to have her simply not wake up the next am. What I am saying is that there are times that people have to make difficult decisions w/regard to traveling w/their pets and criticizing them b/c they have to fly, and possibly check their pets (which is sometimes unavoidable) doesn't mean they don't love their pets.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I flew from LAS to DFW with my 14lb (and change) cat. She fit well enough in the carrier. However I would choose a center seat for both of you and your friend. The room is a tad bigger for the carrier.

Also I must say traveling with a cat is a chick magnet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.