Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog using the lav

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Dog using the lav

As somewhat of a newbie here not sure if this is an appropriate post, but just for fun I wanted to share & see if others had experienced the same. Flying TUS-ATL yesterday a pax was traveling with a small dog and twice took the dog to the lav, one time staying in there almost 10 minutes (yes I timed her). First time she carried the dog in her arms, second time it was in a carrier, complete with puppy pads like you might use for house training. I was in 19D & as the line built in the galley I started telling people to use the lav in the back (or heaven forbid infiltrate the F cabin) because someone was in there w her dog.

I've been on plenty of flights w pets in the cabin over the years, but this was a first for me! I suppose it's better than the pup doing his/her business in its carrier & stinking up the place.

Woof!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Its definitely better the person did that than have the dog do its business in the cabin. However, if the dog cant hold its bodily functions for that length of a flight, then it quite possibly shouldnt even be flying to begin with. This is why vets recommend restricting what is consumed by the dog prior to the flight to avoid situations such as this.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
There shouldn't be dogs (other than service animals) in the cabin period. It's just ridiculous. If you want rover to travel with you, put him in belly. If you aren't happy with that, DRIVE. We complain plenty about people who are annoying on flights, because they should know better. Dogs don't know any better how to behave on a flight than a suitcase, so that's what they should ride with.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Has happened to me literally more times then I can count with the "princesses" that fly LAX-JFK. Once had to wait 10 minutes while the dog (purse dog) became "comfortable" enough to go, only to have the owner let it go all over the floor of the lavatory.

I agree, I don't care how much money you have, dogs unless service related should go in the cargo (always send mine this way).
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:13 pm

i would have to disagree. we've taken about 6 flights with our dog, who goes under the seat. longest flight was JFK to SEA. she pretty much goes into her crate, goes under the seat, and falls asleep for the whole thing. most of the time, no one even realized she was under there. she's petty well crate trained, and is pretty happy in her box, so its pretty easy for us to fly with her. we try to avoid it, but sometimes we've flown her for temporary work assignments and a x-country relocation.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
I have to agree with mille1j - My DW has traveled with dogs many times and generally no one knows they are on board. They just crash and sleep for the whole trip. As far as why in the cabin - if the weather is too cold or hot, there is a real risk to the dog's health and if people get upset about luggage not getting to the desintation, image the issues with a misdirected pet, both for Delta and the passenger.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Paplover
generally no one knows they are on board.
With all do respect, "generally" does not cut it for me. Some people are allergic to animals, and some people don't like dogs. They just don't belong in a confined space with people for an extended period of time. Not to mention, if there is an emergency, I don't want my escape from the aircraft delayed while someone is getting Fido out of his carrier.

I'll be the first to admit that I might be biased because I am not a dog lover. However, just because most people think animals are warm and fuzzy, doesn't mean we should all have to deal with them.

And while your animal may always be well behaved, you can't base policies on best case scenarios. If they did, I would not have to take the miniature Swiss Army Knife off my key chain ever time I travel.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving this over to the Travel With Pets Forum.
Please follow there... Fun topic and interesting, as well.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Moving this over to the Travel With Pets Forum.
Please follow there... Fun topic and interesting, as well.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Great! Now I can get flamed by every animal lover in the skies.

For the record, I'm perfectly ok with goldfish in the cabin!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by houserulz77
With all do respect, "generally" does not cut it for me. Some people are allergic to animals, and some people don't like dogs. They just don't belong in a confined space with people for an extended period of time. Not to mention, if there is an emergency, I don't want my escape from the aircraft delayed while someone is getting Fido out of his carrier.
With all "due" respect, if you have a horrible allergy to animals, you are going to be faced with it when a service animal is on your flight. You don't "like" dogs? I guess we all have our dislikes - some of mine are passengers who don't fit in their seat and take up part of mine; people who carry on grease-laden food, the smell of which nauseates me; kids kicking my seat and bouncing tray tables up and down...you get the point - I can't keep them off, and you can't keep one of my dogs off. They 'pay' as much or more to fly than I do sometimes, count as my carryon, and have NEVER been noticed by anyone on a flight. No, I don't potty them in the lavatory
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:35 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by bunnyt
With all "due" respect, if you have a horrible allergy to animals, you are going to be faced with it when a service animal is on your flight. You don't "like" dogs? I guess we all have our dislikes - some of mine are passengers who don't fit in their seat and take up part of mine; people who carry on grease-laden food, the smell of which nauseates me; kids kicking my seat and bouncing tray tables up and down...you get the point - I can't keep them off, and you can't keep one of my dogs off. They 'pay' as much or more to fly than I do sometimes, count as my carryon, and have NEVER been noticed by anyone on a flight. No, I don't potty them in the lavatory
But if only service animals are allowed on it reduces the risk for other passengers who might be allergic.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
If you want rover to travel with you, put him in belly.
Originally Posted by DLATL777
I agree, I don't care how much money you have, dogs unless service related should go in the cargo (always send mine this way).
That's going to be tough to do if the airline does not accept checked pets.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by bunnyt
Passengers who don't fit in their seats - Not allowed, you have to buy 2. (I know enforcement is minimal, but it is a policy)
Grease-laden food - Bug's me too. But the odor of McDonalds is usually gone by wheels-up.
Kids - Turn around and ask nicely to have them stop.

The key here is that there is a human interaction which can help to fix any of these issues. If a dog is barking, has an accident, etc. you can't remind the dog it's on a plane and needs to stop.

I hate having babies on a plane, but unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about that - you can't check an infant, and you can't tell it to stop crying. Plus I don't know anyone allergic to babies.

You can check a dog, so that's where they should be, with the checked baggage. And if it's a flight or airline that doesn't take them, pick a different flight.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Has happened to me literally more times then I can count with the "princesses" that fly LAX-JFK. Once had to wait 10 minutes while the dog (purse dog) became "comfortable" enough to go, only to have the owner let it go all over the floor of the lavatory.

When the owner allows a pet (or service animal) to pee on an aircraft floor, whether or not in a lavatory, both owner and pet should be banned from flying on that carrier and the owner should be billed for the cleanup.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: Prefer to stay where the herded cats are staying, IHG , Hyatt gold, bottom fish in other chains
Great! Now I can get flamed by every animal lover in the skies.

For the record, I'm perfectly ok with goldfish in the cabin!
I think you are a curmudgeon. I think my dogs who have quietly ridden in their sherpas under the seat are likely better passengers to be with than you.

Stay in PIT....I hope I don't run into you on a flight or at a DO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.