Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Travel with Pets
Reload this Page >

Cost of Bringing Dog to the U.K.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost of Bringing Dog to the U.K.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Question Cost of Bringing Dog to the U.K.

I posted this on the U.K. page, and someone suggested that I ask here...

I've done the research and spoken with DEFRA - very helpful! - so I know what I need to do... And it's not cheap! So far, I'm budgeting the following:

$237 - rabies blood test

$500 - other related vet fees, including office visits and USDA paperwork

$955 - British Airways transport (includes U.K. animal reception fees)

So far, I'm at nearly $1,700 and I'm sure other expenses will arise. If you brought in your dog or cat, did you pay about this much? Any other expenses I should be prepared for? Tips to make it less expensive?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance, Virgin, British Air, Continental etc
Pets to UK Expensive Yes but did BA quote RT?

Was the British Airways price based on round trip???

My experience taking my Shih Tzu in and out of London was more costly than you quoted. My dog was born in Aberdeen-shire, Scotland. He has a UK-Euro Pet Passport which included all the tests/shots/exams.

It cost me about $600 to take him to the USA first time and I think a little less the second time. But to get him in to UK cost about $2,000 or a little less. I can not remember the airline. Why its cheaper one way than the other is a mystery.

The second time I brought him to California I was quoted about $1,700 to take him back. I returned with out him. Its hard on both of us to be apart but he is so miserable as a passenger and its so costly - I leave him with a certified nanny who has another Shih Tzu, cats, bird, a son to play with him, and a large fenced garden with a dog door. He loves being there but loves to have me back.

If you found a way to get your little friend to UK cheaper than British Airways please post! If that was round trip pricing - its a bargain! Hopefully you can clarify in a repost.

Id love to take mine back my next trip since I will be there for several months. Thanks for posting. Sorry to report that yours is the best price for UK pet travel I've yet seen.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
ExpatPumpkin, those fees are good. Cheaper than what I paid to bring my dog over, and I also used BA.

For future reference, it was almost twice as expensive to send my dog back to the USA. I really don't know why there was such a discrepancy.

Btw, the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow is great

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.