dog gets car/motion sick

Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
dog gets car/motion sick

Geno, our second adopted "child," suffers from motion sickness on car trips. He's ok if he's not had food or treats for a few hours and on short trips, but if the trip is longer than an hour, it's a good bet that if he's had food recently, we'll see the food a second time. I usually just avoid feeding him the meal before a car trip, but we'll be taking a 12 hour car trip shortly.

Any suggestions on how to keep him from getting carsick? While we'll be headed out in the evening, and I can skip his dinner, I'm worried that his water consumption during our trip will upset his tummy.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I have found that my dog (who gets sick on especially windy roads) does better if she lays down. I have found on the way out of town on a trip (usually camping) she is very excited and wants to see all thats going on(and gets sick). On the return trip she is usually worn out from the trip and lays down and has no sickness what so ever.
I know that doesn't help but you may wanna ask your vet for a sedative for the trip
Old Apr 3, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1P
Dogs can take Dramamine, but you need to consult your vet to find out the correct dosage for your dog.

This article is also helpful...although you have probably tried some of these things already.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...P=A&A=2330&S=1
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:29 am
Original Poster

I was searching for an old thread and stumbled upon this one. Thought I'd update it. We can give him Dramamine, although we've discovered that small amounts of food and/or treats shortly before leaving actually seems to settle his stomach. So, he gets a small treat (a MilkBone) before we go anywhere, and it seems to keep his tummy in check.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:50 am

You can also talk with your veterinarian about Cerenia. It controls vomiting and lasts for 24 hours.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Megn
You can also talk with your veterinarian about Cerenia. It controls vomiting and lasts for 24 hours.
We try to avoid giving him any meds unless necessary. He's afraid of thunderstorms, but the most we've been able to do is give him Benadryl, even though the vet said she's willing to give him valium. We don't like the possible risks involved with it.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by kipper
Geno, our second adopted "child," suffers from motion sickness on car trips. He's ok if he's not had food or treats for a few hours and on short trips, but if the trip is longer than an hour, it's a good bet that if he's had food recently, we'll see the food a second time. I usually just avoid feeding him the meal before a car trip, but we'll be taking a 12 hour car trip shortly.

Any suggestions on how to keep him from getting carsick? While we'll be headed out in the evening, and I can skip his dinner, I'm worried that his water consumption during our trip will upset his tummy.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...638065,00.html

Last edited by Doc Savage; Sep 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
scopolamine
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Megn
Cerenia is a great drug. Our Yorkie had pancreatitis 2 years ago and since then has had a very sensitive tummy. We know when he turns up his nose at food and gets lethargic that he is likely nauseated. 1 Cerenia (stuffed into a Pill Pocket) works every time. It is amazing how effective that drug is in controlling his symptoms of nausea. We always make sure to have some in the house. It seems to come on about every 4 months. I know that it is generally prescribed for motion sickness but our vet suggested it for his sensitive tummy symptoms

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.