FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel News (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news-178/)
-   -   USA is going to 2006 World Cup in Germany! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-news/469227-usa-going-2006-world-cup-germany.html)

andrzej Sep 3, 2005 7:34 pm

USA is going to 2006 World Cup in Germany!

What a brilliant game!

What wonderful goals!

USA 2 Mexico 0

I really do believe USA has a chance to make the quarter-finals in Germany. After that, anything could happen!

U-S-A, U-S-A, USA will go all the way!!!

See Ya all in Germany!

CPRich Sep 3, 2005 8:07 pm

While there was little doubt they would qualify, it's great to do it at home against Mexico.

Unless they fall apart, they should now win the CONCACAF group and move up ahead of Mexico to #5 in the world. That should get them a top seed at the World Cup, giving them a real good shot into the quarters.

A great day for USA Soccer.

civicmon Sep 3, 2005 9:13 pm

definately.. bright spot of the week.. too bad it's overshadowed with the travesty in NO but I won't discuss that here.....

777-DCA Sep 4, 2005 7:43 pm

Soccer? Who cares about soccer?! The best part about this is that they go to Germany! I love Germany, although I have never been there. Deutschland!

GUWonder Sep 5, 2005 2:32 am

Originally Posted by AApokes08
Soccer? Who cares about soccer?! The best part about this is that they go to Germany! I love Germany, although I have never been there. Deutschland!

I love soccer (or by whatever name it may go in any given country). I'll be there .... but just need to get tickets without paying an arm and a leg. Time to start considering accomodations. :)

USA_flyer Sep 5, 2005 3:38 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I love soccer (or by whatever name it may go in any given country). I'll be there .... but just need to get tickets without paying an arm and a leg. Time to start considering accomodations. :)

It's FOOTBALL... not soccer, FOOTBALL. :rolleyes: :D

And congratulations to the USA FOOTBALL team, see you in Germany!!

gabes80 Sep 5, 2005 4:06 am

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
It's FOOTBALL... not soccer, FOOTBALL. :rolleyes: :D

And congratulations to the USA FOOTBALL team, see you in Germany!!

Say... SOCCER! :D

*retreats to Aussie rules* :D

LAX Sep 7, 2005 10:25 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

If you were fortunate enough to win the lottery in the initial phase of ticket sale, tickets won't have costed you an arm and a leg. It's getting there and staying there for the event that's going to cost you more than an arm and a leg! Have fun.

LAX

GUWonder Sep 8, 2005 12:25 am

Originally Posted by LAX
If you were fortunate enough to win the lottery in the initial phase of ticket sale, tickets won't have costed you an arm and a leg. It's getting there and staying there for the event that's going to cost you more than an arm and a leg! Have fun.

LAX

I'll make good use of friends and family's residences .... just have to consider who is not a soccer fan. :) I never win any lotteries .... and ticket lotteries by nation are no different.

gosflyer Sep 8, 2005 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
While there was little doubt they would qualify, it's great to do it at home against Mexico.

Unless they fall apart, they should now win the CONCACAF group and move up ahead of Mexico to #5 in the world. That should get them a top seed at the World Cup, giving them a real good shot into the quarters.

A great day for USA Soccer.

Now, lets keep things in perspective, it is one thing to qualify from Concacaf and another to be up against world'class teams. I think that, for the US, qualifying is enough, maybe win one game and thatīs it.

Good luck getting tickets if you havenīt yet. :td:

mosburger Sep 8, 2005 1:25 pm

Well, the Mexicans were not that bad at the FIFA Conderations Cup in Germany in June. All the participating teams included their top stars so actually Mexico beat the best team that World Champions Brazil could offer.

Japan - Mexico 1 - 3

Mexico - Brazil 1 - 0

Greece - Mexico 0 - 0

Semi-final:

Argentina - Mexico 1 - 1 after extra time, ARG won 6 - 5 on penalties and went on to win the touirnament against BRA.

I really think the US team is at least semi-final material next year if they play enough challenging test matches. To beat Mexico in a decisive qualifier is not an easy task for any team in the World.

gosflyer Sep 8, 2005 4:42 pm

Results in soccer (and almost any other sport) are not transitive. Thus, Mex>Bra (in one game) and USA>Mex does not imply USA>Bra. :rolleyes:

Again, you are in the world cup and that should be good enough for a team like the US. Semifinals? :D