Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Duct-Tape Troublesome Traveler

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2003, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

September 14, 2003
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:28 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Airplane passengers and an air marshal subdued and then duct-taped a man who was pacing the aisle and reading loudly from the Bible during a flight from Hawaii, police and witnesses said.

No one was injured, and the man was handed over to authorities after the plane landed at Los Angeles International Airport early Sunday, said Sgt. Carl Sansbury of the airport police.

Sansbury said he didn't know what prompted the outburst on the United Airlines flight from Honolulu. He said the FBI was investigating.

The man, whose name was not immediately released, could be charged with interfering with a flight crew, a federal offense, Sansbury said.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Semi-good news.

Good that the passengers took over and solved the problem.

Bad news that the TSA may soon ban duct tape on a plane.

Bad news that the Marshall revealed himself which would then allow the bad guys to take over. Just a side comment, as I feel having them on the plane is a waste of good money.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
From this limited information, the guy sounds a bit unbalanced, but it was hardly the kind of dangerous situation that the expanded Air Marshall program and other security measures where created to protect us from.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 3:41 pm

The story I got was that it wasn't an Air Marshall, but an off-duty Customs guy.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...936EDT0016.DTL
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I heard it was a duct tape manufacturer salesguy and the whole thing is a stunt to publicize new uses for duct tape.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 4:13 pm

I thought duct-tape was in the emergancy kit on the plane?

When those windows just refuse to stay shut, duct tape, mans, man-made best friend.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 7:33 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Wow, Red Green would be proud to hear this!!!

Hmmm, maybe we'll see an episode of Red Green on an airplane! If that plastic knife breaks in half trying to slice through mystery meat, just use duct tape!!!!

http://www.redgreen.com

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Old Sep 14, 2003, 8:16 pm

Maybe McGyver was on the plane and he had the duct tape.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)

[This message has been edited by Latitudes (edited 09-14-2003).]
Old Sep 15, 2003, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
If any of you have ever flown into Israel on El Al you know that there are always a number of Ultra-Orthodox Jews standing in the aisles, prayer shawls wrapped around them, holding prayer books and saying their daily devotions.

If this new in-flight program becomes mandatory on all international flights, I am going to invest heavily in an Israeli duct tape factory.

Old Sep 15, 2003, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dovster:
If any of you have ever flown into Israel on El Al you know that there are always a number of Ultra-Orthodox Jews standing in the aisles, prayer shawls wrapped around them, holding prayer books and saying their daily devotions.

</font>
I would hope and pray that pax have the decency to duct tape these fellows. Equal opportunity duct taping!
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
It's still not clear to me what this guy actually did to deserve being wrapped up like King Tut. Did someone want to hear from Proverbs instead of Leviticus?
Old Sep 16, 2003, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
..........Bad news that the TSA may soon ban duct tape on a plane.........</font>
Or perhaps bibles?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Good for the passengers.....it's nice to see people sticking together in a difficult situation...I would hope that if it was on my flight, there would be enough of us to take control of an individual like this.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Z-man:
...it's nice to see people sticking together in a difficult situation...</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.